Possible Diffeomorphic issue to submit?

Could be an issue with diffeomorphic and the new g9 but i did see the same issue with g8.1 before so who knows. Well hopefully one of you.

When using "make hair" in diffeomorphic andf a g9 im just getting a whole load of meshes (i assume theyre the children but there are hundreds) and no particle system. Im following the same workflow as i always did with g8.1 and changed countless settings but still either get many meshes or some really short thick hair (if using tube instead of sheet). Im using OTT zola hair on G9, daz 4.21, blender 3.3.0 and both the lastest diffeomorphic offical release and the latest build from bitbucket (at least i think). Im sure i used to use "Sheet" for zola hair but it does seem like "tube" is the only thing giving me a particle system, but it is way shorter than it should be.

Any ideas?

Comments

• globallyglobally Posts: 122

Now using the stable 1.6.2 version of diffeomorphic, OTT zola hair and G9 and the hair is still turning in to a million seperate meshes when i convert it. Also tried with a g9 hair (curly updo i think) and the same thing happens. I feel like ive tried every variation of settings but maybe im missing something.

Is anyone having the same issue and if not could you run me through your order of operation with hair and diffeomorphic. At the moment i am:

1. Easy import without checking "convert hair" as it never seemed to do work so ive always done it manualy.

2. Seperate the hair from the cap

3. Make sure human is the cap and hair is the hair

4. Click make hair and enter the settings ive always used, Sheet, Seperate loose parts, Resize hair to 40, Multi materials, children set to 6

used to work every time, now with G9 i get the 5863 meshes.

Any help would be much appericated.

Ok so does anyone know the best place to ask diffeomorphic questions? The bitbucket doesnt have a comments section unless you are submitting bugs (im not sure if mine is a bug but i think im probably just doing something wrong) and the blog cant take comments. Does Thomas frequent these forums?

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

You will probably get better answers if you move this thread to the blender subforum.

Could be an issue with diffeomorphic and the new g9 but i did see the same issue with g8.1 before so who knows. Well hopefully one of you.

When using "make hair" in diffeomorphic andf a g9 im just getting a whole load of meshes (i assume theyre the children but there are hundreds) and no particle system. Im following the same workflow as i always did with g8.1 and changed countless settings but still either get many meshes or some really short thick hair (if using tube instead of sheet). Im using OTT zola hair on G9, daz 4.21, blender 3.3.0 and both the lastest diffeomorphic offical release and the latest build from bitbucket (at least i think). Im sure i used to use "Sheet" for zola hair but it does seem like "tube" is the only thing giving me a particle system, but it is way shorter than it should be.

Any ideas?

Now using the stable 1.6.2 version of diffeomorphic, OTT zola hair and G9 and the hair is still turning in to a million seperate meshes when i convert it. Also tried with a g9 hair (curly updo i think) and the same thing happens. I feel like ive tried every variation of settings but maybe im missing something.

Is anyone having the same issue and if not could you run me through your order of operation with hair and diffeomorphic. At the moment i am:

1. Easy import without checking "convert hair" as it never seemed to do work so ive always done it manualy.

2. Seperate the hair from the cap

3. Make sure human is the cap and hair is the hair

4. Click make hair and enter the settings ive always used, Sheet, Seperate loose parts, Resize hair to 40, Multi materials, children set to 6

used to work every time, now with G9 i get the 5863 meshes.

Any help would be much appericated.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

For sure this is not related to G9. For hair you have to select the scalp as the "human", not the figure itself, so it doesn't really matter what else is in the scene, apart the hair and the scalp. As for OOT he tends to use his own custom shaders so may be the plugin get confused someway if you keep the materials, as custom shaders are not supported, better to convert to uber before exporting.

Let me know if this works or I'll try to give a look.

• Yeah, this has happens to me too and I was using the classic bob hair that I know of from OOT, and a few other times with hair from another PA. I did the same steps as you and got tons of meshes and I have the current version of diffeo. I just went into combine hairs in the diffeo tab, clicked combine all and deleted that mesh. Then I went into the particle system for the cap itself and made the adjustments in the children tab there and the hair showed up. The shader didn't seem to work, but that wasn't end all to me as I just made my own in Blender, but that's how I got the hair to work. And it simulated beautifully too, I couldn't be happier with how that turned out, but it did take me a day to figure out how to get it. Glad I'm not alone in this. Yeah, Padone, let us know if this happens to you as well whenever you have a free moment, thanks!

• Threads merged, please do not cross post - remember that people are volunteering their time to help you, cross psoting means they risk wasting the time they are offering to cover ground already covered in your other thread. If you wish to move this edit the first post and select the desired from from the drop-down list (but don't bump it).

Ok going to have a look and let you know what I find.

@Richard Please move this back to the blender forum since it's for diffeomorphic, I wasn't able to find it anymore after you moved it here.

Padone said:

For sure this is not related to G9. For hair you have to select the scalp as the "human", not the figure itself, so it doesn't really matter what else is in the scene, apart the hair and the scalp. As for OOT he tends to use his own custom shaders so may be the plugin get confused someway if you keep the materials, as custom shaders are not supported, better to convert to uber before exporting.

Let me know if this works or I'll try to give a look.

Thanks for looking in to this. I will try converting to Uber when i get home but im unsure this is the issue as i did try with "keep materials" unchecked. Ive always appended my own hair materials once the hair is converted. i will rerport back.

Padone said:

Ok going to have a look and let you know what I find.

@Richard Please move this back to the blender forum since it's for diffeomorphic, I wasn't able to find it anymore after you moved it here.

Ok so i tried switching the Zola hair to base, changing to regular DAZ uber shader to each hair section and still getting the multi mesh.

I can confirm the issue and it's reported to Thomas.

https://bitbucket.org/Diffeomorphic/import_daz/issues/1282

edited December 2022

Thomas fixed it in the last commit that you can get with the dev version. For complex hair as these ones I'd suggest to split by material (mesh > separate > by material) and resize each chunk to the max length that you can see with "select strand by size". This way you get one particle system per material with the max hair length.

I asked Thomas if it's possible to add an option for this, but you can always do it by hand.

resize.jpg
    336 x 435 - 38K
    Post edited by Padone on

Padone said:

Thomas fixed it in the last commit that you can get with the dev version. For complex hair as these ones I'd suggest to split by material (mesh > separate > by material) and resize each chunk to the max length that you can see with "select strand by size". This way you get one particle system per material with the max hair length.

I asked Thomas if it's possible to add an option for this, but you can always do it by hand.

Thank you so much. its always nice to find out that its an issue and not stupidity on your own behalf. even better that there is a wortk around too. I will be trying that later today.

Cheers