How to fix the HDRI ground so it does not move during camera animation?

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

How to fix the HDRI ground so it does not move during camera animation?

When I move the camera around my subject the HDRI ground center point moves all over the place.

I thought I was smart to turn my Ultra Scenery and sky into an HDRI but when I moved the camera, the ground shifted considerably.

Is there a workaround for this?

Using Ultra Scenery in animation takes a large amount of time per frame.

Being able to nail the ground down would be a huge benefit. 

2X 3090 in SLI takes 40 minutes to render 7 frames for 50 seconds max each at 720p

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• the problem is it isn't a physical dome

and an actual skydome will obscure the iray sky

the best you could do is render a spherical scene with alpha and create a cutout opacity map for it to put on a huge Equirectangular spherically UV mapped sphere with a flattened base (like a cyclorama)

(I made my own in Carrara for this)

that lets the sky light through,

or add emission to the skydome but that will have lots of noise.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283
    edited November 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

the problem is it isn't a physical dome

and an actual skydome will obscure the iray sky

the best you could do is render a spherical scene with alpha and create a cutout opacity map for it to put on a huge Equirectangular spherically UV mapped sphere with a flattened base (like a cyclorama)

(I made my own in Carrara for this)

that lets the sky light through,

or add emission to the skydome but that will have lots of noise.

That is a very good idea to try for rendering some ground planes. For animations, every trick in the book is needed. 

I like the cyclorama idea, I remember the cyclorama products from many eons ago, I got a few nice renders out of them.

Maybe a top down render for the ground plane. If it is very high resolution I wonder what it might look like.

A top down render would not work for like, a wheat field where the wheat has such height and when the camera moves around it would be obvious that everything is flat. lol

But for things further off in the distance, melding them to the HDRI is perfect!

Thanks for steering me in the right direction WendyLuvsCatz! smiley

I am thinking that there is no way to get around having to use a huge scene like Ultra Scenery in many cases.

7 1/2 hours rendering and up to frame 54 of 360. 

Post edited by RexRed on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited November 2022

iray likes billboards so section plane renderings of your scene in 4 directions to make a skybox/parallax can work too

a series of circular billboards

a product actually exists too https://www.daz3d.com/parallax-backgrounds

I don't have it but it could be a good starter to making your own textures from Ultra Scenery renders

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on