Issue with AJC College Times Outfit for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Males

I'm having a weird quality issue with AJC College Times Outfit for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Males. I'm not sure if it's something wrong with the product itself or if there are just some settings I need to change to fix it. Here's the store page:

https://www.daz3d.com/ajc-college-times-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-males

It looks great in the promos, but when I'm rendering there are a lot of blocky "facets" and some really weird artifacting in the crotch area when a genital bulge is dialed in. I have attached a render of a character with the clothes set to render at SubD level 3 or 4 and with a smoothing modifier added. And another screencap of what it looks like in Daz with the view SubD at level 2, out of the box with no smoothing modifier applied. The bulge is dialed to 100% in the second image to better show the weird jagged edges and shape that it creates. In the render it's at 50%.

Whenever I've encountered something like this before, cranking up SubD fixed it. Is there anything else I can change to make the outfit render more like the product's promo pics? 

The crotch issue is especially weird because I've seen it on another newer outfit as well, but it was created by different PAs. I've never had this issue with other male clothing. The other product is Shadow Realm Outfit for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Males:

https://www.daz3d.com/shadow-realm-male-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-males-bundle

trevor sprite day two smile.png
1920 x 1080 - 676K
outfitissue.png
1544 x 1292 - 1M

Comments

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070
    edited November 2022

I have the outfit and just checked it out and you are correct! The issue is really visible, especially when you use the light color options! I thought maybe it would've been set up to use with dforce, but that was not the case. I'm going to also submit a ticket because I don't think I'll be able to use the pants otherwise.

AJC_College-times-outfit-Issue-Bulge50%.PNG
    466 x 723 - 367K
    AJC_College-times-outfit-Issue-Bulge100%.PNG
    476 x 722 - 378K
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • I don't have the set, but is there a Rigidity map interfering with the morph transfer in the groin?

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985

Try the outfit on one of the supported shapes.  Says on the product page "Other Shapes may be supported in Daz Studio by Auto-follow"

Here's the outfit on three of the supported shapes: Michael 8, Owen 8 and Lee 8.

ajc Michael 8.jpg
    666 x 906 - 139K
    ajc Owen 8.jpg
    666 x 906 - 130K
    ajc Lee 8.jpg
    666 x 906 - 122K
  • pseudocriticpseudocritic Posts: 4
    edited November 2022

Lindsey said:

Try the outfit on one of the supported shapes.  Says on the product page "Other Shapes may be supported in Daz Studio by Auto-follow"

Here's the outfit on three of the supported shapes: Michael 8, Owen 8 and Lee 8.

Aha! Thank you! This fixed all the "faceting" issues. His previous shape was primarily Torment 8.1 with some custom character shapes blended in. I approximated the same look with Michael 8.1 and Lithe which are supported, and it looks great now. I've always used auto-follow, I had no idea using the supported shapes made such a difference. Excellent knowledge to have. I attached a new pic of the character so anyone else visiting this thread can see the before and after. EDIT: Oh, the earlier pics were deleted. Well, the new one is currently attached all the same smiley

The remaining issue is the crotch area, unfortunately. It still has that jagged edge problem, I assume because it's not a supported morph? I tried using the Fit Control morphs and it still has the same problem.

Richard Haseltine said:

I don't have the set, but is there a Rigidity map interfering with the morph transfer in the groin?

I'm not entirely sure how to check this. The few google responses I found weren't super helpful. Where would I look for this?

outfitfixed2.png
    1507 x 1265 - 1M
    Post edited by pseudocritic on
  • SDwitch to the Joint Editor tool, in the Tool settings pane click the icon at top-left for Vertex Mode, and, with the trousers selected, see if there are any entries in the main area under Rigidity Groups. If there are, click the +  next to them and see which areas light up.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

Richard Haseltine said:

SDwitch to the Joint Editor tool, in the Tool settings pane click the icon at top-left for Vertex Mode, and, with the trousers selected, see if there are any entries in the main area under Rigidity Groups. If there are, click the +  next to them and see which areas light up.

Shouldn't it be Geometry Editor? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,851
    Yes, it should.
  • felis said:

Richard Haseltine said:

SDwitch to the Joint Editor tool, in the Tool settings pane click the icon at top-left for Vertex Mode, and, with the trousers selected, see if there are any entries in the main area under Rigidity Groups. If there are, click the +  next to them and see which areas light up.

It was indeed Geometry Editor, and there wasn't anything next to Rigidity frown  I've never done a morph in ZBrush before—for anyone who has, is that something relatively easy to do and would it even work for the item if it deforms using existing  but non-supported morphs? I may just use it without altering the gens area, but I do prefer it for a more realistic look. Thank you everyone for your help so far smiley

• felis said:

Richard Haseltine said:

D'oh. Sorry.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

pseudocritic said:

felis said:

Richard Haseltine said:

It was indeed Geometry Editor, and there wasn't anything next to Rigidity frown  I've never done a morph in ZBrush before—for anyone who has, is that something relatively easy to do and would it even work for the item if it deforms using existing  but non-supported morphs? I may just use it without altering the gens area, but I do prefer it for a more realistic look. Thank you everyone for your help so far smiley

You might try exporting the troublemaking sweatpants without the trouble making morph dialed in as an obj and then reimporting the obj in the Morph Loader Pro with the character's morph fully dialed in and that will transfer the morph to the pants so you dial it there. At least that's how I think how to could more easily fix it.