morphing a geograft asset in custom pose

I am certain I used to be able to do this in oder versions of DS, as I have actual blender files with posed geografts.

My old workflow used to be
1. activate the geometry selection tool so as to separate the base figure from the geograft. 
2. hide posed base figure and export obj of the geograft asset "in situ"
3. make edits in blender and export obj
4. morph loader pro, reverse deformations=yes
Profit.

But this doesn't work anymore - DS complains that my morph obj has the wrong vertex count. I've searched the forum and found the most relevant thread here. The proposed workflow in the last post there also does not work, same complaint (plus additional complaints about mismatching ERC's).

I'm stuck now, and a little bit desperate - how can I make a geograft morph that is *not* in the default, unparented, unfitted state?

Post edited by tmtmtm_f56c8d4bda on

Comments

• The only thing I can think of is that you may have exported the geograft when the character and graft isn't at base resolution. Try setting both to base resolution prior to export, and hopefully that will work. Regards, Richard.
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

To create custom shapes for specific poses you could use the morph system of Blender :

Export Genesis as obj, no SubD, default pose.

Import in Blender. Create a Shape Key.

Export Genesis in your final pose. Export as obj.

Import in Blender. Add that second obj as a second Shape Key on the first imported Genesis.

Now do the same with the Geograft. Export it as base, default pose and shape. Import in Blender and create a Shape Key.

Export the same geograft in the final pose. Import in Blender, add that as a 2nd Shape Key on the base geograft.

In Blender, slide the 2nd Shape Key for both Genesis and the geograft.

You now have your final pose for both, but as morphs. Create a 3rd Shape Key for the geograft and make modifications to the geometry to shape it the way you want. NONE of the vertices connected to the Genesis can be moved, even so slightly. Or morph won't be usable on the Daz geograft.

Once your geograft is shaped as you want, slide the 2nd Shape Key down to 0. Geograft is now in its default base pose but with your modifications added to it. Export that geograft from Blender as obj. Import in Daz using morph loader pro.

You can now, in Daz, go to the keyframe of your final pose. And load your custom geograft morph.

As for your issue, I guess it's related to the fact that you may have moved one or more vertices from the open edges (the ones connected to Genesis). That's very probably why the morph can't be used, as I can confirmed that all that still works as usual in the most recent version of Daz.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Morphing to a pose is cetainly part of many workflows, especially clothing and morph creation where the figure needs to be posed to see how a corrective morph should be shaped. That is what Reverse Deformations is for.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

yeah you're right. I'm using morph systems of other 3D apps, but Reverse Deformation, which I should get more accostumed to, is indeed a great option for that too.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Thanks, @HanSoloCambo, for your suggestion.

It sounds rather involved but not unreasonable. At some point, I'm going to start wondering if I should just plain use Blender for everything. The new Blender Bridge certainly makes things a lot smoother now.

Of course (!!) it ended up being @RichardandTracy's suggestion. Thank you for pointing out the basic, obvious thing!

I gotta stop working late, there goes a half hour of banging my head :)

Good times!

• hansolocambo said:

yeah you're right. I'm using morph systems of other 3D apps, but Reverse Deformation, which I should get more accostumed to, is indeed a great option for that too.

You could probably emulate Reverse Deformations, depending on how the application worked - spawn a morph for the posed/shaped version you want to adjust, make the adjustments and spawn a morph, then set the before version to -1 and the after to 1 on a zeroed figure and spawn your final morph from that.

• tmtmtm_f56c8d4bda said:

Of course (!!) it ended up being @RichardandTracy's suggestion. Thank you for pointing out the basic, obvious thing!

I gotta stop working late, there goes a half hour of banging my head :)

Good times!

The reason I suggested it is.. the obvious. I did it too! Glad to have helped.

Regards,

Richard.