Out of Memory ... even now on my new system!

launoklaunok Posts: 793
edited August 2015 in Bryce Discussion

New Laptop with Windows 7 - Intel(HR) Graphics

Intel Core i5 notebook,  64 bit operating system

4.00 gb ram memory

500 gb space hard disk

I thought with my much older system (win XP and 1gb ram) I could have expect problems as were the case.  But now again!?  I want to add Genesis 2 Male to the attached scene but it keeps saying 'out of memory'.  Are there too much objects in the scene?  My shop building have quite some props in but I thought it could handle this on my new system.  I even want to add a vehicle or two also in the scene.  All the stuff are Sketchup models except Genesis 2 Females (2x)

BRYCE MOVE 2.jpg
1194 x 563 - 140K
Post edited by launok on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

The most likely thing is textures.  Bryce is still a 32bit prgram, so doesn't access more than 2gb of your available memory, and it uses uncompressed textures,  So if you have image based textures which are jpg it will uncompress them to be the same kb size as bmp of tiff.  So textures can soon eat up the availalbe memory, if you have quite a few of them.

• launoklaunok Posts: 793

Thank you for your reply.  Well, then it's the textures used inside of the shop too and those on the 2x G2F's which I have imported from DS4. The other buildings are not fully furnished as mine but they also have textures outside which add to it and the paving and road. Gosh, and I want to make a small town in Bryce, lol.  

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited August 2015

Yes, unfortunately it can be a challenge working within Bryce's limited memory constraints. Search for many threads discussing this, but a quick list of things to consider to try to cram a little more into your scene include:

reducing the size of one or more image textures (if coming from DAZ Studio, Texture Atlas can be helpful)

completely replace image textures with procedural shaders if possible

deleting hidden parts of objects out of view of the camera, invisible under clothing, inside of closed mouth, etc.

instancing

Large Address Aware (has potential to cause issues as well as help, I use it anyway)

working in layers, each scene being it's own layer, combining those rendered layers after the fact

Post edited by sriesch on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596

I would try Large Address Aware as sriesch mentioned.

You can get it here: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556

Just scroll down the first post to the attached files box and download laa_2_0_4.zip

Easy to use and you only have to do it once.

Start LAA program and then.....

1. Click the button on the right to browse to the Bryce.exe file in the Bryce install folder and select Bryce.exe

2. Click the box to set the Large Address Aware Flag.

3. Click Save.

I've found that Bryce crashes less often too once LAA is set.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,189

Check out David's tutorial for Large Address Aware  smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DyWtdR6cys

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,296
    edited August 2015

Bryce Memory Shortage and what you can do about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZmETVO15c

Post edited by Horo on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 793

Thank you for your replies with much valuable help and the link to the Large Address Aware and videos.  There are quite some good videos for Bryce which covers a whole spectrum of the program.  I am now currently downloading videos galore! :)

Laura