Converting Genesis 9 clothing to Genesis 8

Hi!

Before I spend the money on Gen9 clothing (Kings Guard, Dark Assassin), the critical question is: How easily can they be used with G8? Are their tools for autoconvert or can it be archived only by exporting obj and reimporting and then fitting (meaning most likely redoing some weightmaps?

Best wishes
Ryselle

Comments

• I'd also like to know this. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

There's no autofit clones provided to go from G9 to earlier figures.
    You could try creating your own clones though: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/599231/making-clones-of-g9-tutorial

• The guns on both figures are really weird and I don't see how they're supposed to work.

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188

I absolutely, 100%, refuse to buy any wearable content that will not directly and simply fit to G8. After all these years of wrangling with compatability issues, I am done with it.  And no, don't try to sell me on any autofit clone tutorials. Not good enough 

I have a large investment in time and money in G8. It took a ton of work to get G8 where I need to have it.  I have no plans now or at any time in the forseeable future to make the attempt to migrate from G8 to G9. It seems that DAZ and it's PAs expect that people will re-invest enormous amounts of time and money in G9. I have heard all of the "one needs to crack some eggs in order to make an omlette" excuses.  Sorry, but backward and forward compatability are extremely important to many of us and I, for one, will not accept less anymore.

I was one of those who thought DAZ made a huge mistake in abandoning the G1 approach to gender.  After all these years we are finally seeing a suitable replacement for G1. And now that they have reverted to a non-binary base character, it's too late for me to support it. 

• There is now a new product available of Clones of G9 for all the previous generations of Genesis:

https://www.daz3d.com/mmx-genesis-9-clones-for-all

artistb3  I'm a customer same as all the other customers in the store. If you don't want to buy my free tutorial and spend an hour making your own G9 clones, nobody is forcing you to do so.

There is absolutely no need for everybody to be only using the latest figure and indeed some are still using the legacy figures. I'm quite happy to use any one of the Genesis generations with the clothing that was made for them. I find it nice though that if the desired outfit was not made for the Genesis # in the scene, it can be converted to fit it, and then saved to new folders so the 2nd time around it can then be directly applied to that figure.

• I'm ignoring G9 entirely for now so I cannot speak from direct experience here.

However... my adaption to G8/8.1 also went slow'ish and I've worked with using clothing meant for G8 and applied it on G3 (= relatively easy), G2 and even Genesis itself very often. Sometimes it "worked" but in many cases I needed Hexagon to make it work. In fact, using items meant for other characters was one of the main reasons why I eventually splurged on a ZBrush license: so that I could now make things fit more properly myself.

Backwards compatibility has always been somewhat of a thing in Daz Studio (like using clothes meant for Genesis or G2 on newer generations) but the other way around not so much....

• Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 230

Catherine3678ab said:

There is now a new product available of Clones of G9 for all the previous generations of Genesis:

artistb3  I'm a customer same as all the other customers in the store. If you don't want to buy my free tutorial and spend an hour making your own G9 clones, nobody is forcing you to do so.

There is absolutely no need for everybody to be only using the latest figure and indeed some are still using the legacy figures. I'm quite happy to use any one of the Genesis generations with the clothing that was made for them. I find it nice though that if the desired outfit was not made for the Genesis # in the scene, it can be converted to fit it, and then saved to new folders so the 2nd time around it can then be directly applied to that figure.

PERFECT! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• mark_z2487mark_z2487 Posts: 112

thistledownsname said:

The guns on both figures are really weird and I don't see how they're supposed to work.

On the King’s Guard, it is sort of like a Reminton rolling block, the other one, just missing the parts that would make it work

• Catherine3678ab said:

There is now a new product available of Clones of G9 for all the previous generations of Genesis:

I came to the forums looking for an answer to this and I found that. Thank you so much for pointing that out.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,482

I don't understand the business sense here. I am not buying G9 characters (and I am sure I am not alone in that) but I would like to buy clothing made for G9 but able to fit G8. If I understand it correctly, there are free clones to enable G8 clothing to be used on G9 but not vice-versa. So I don't buy G9 clothes and DAZ doesn't get my spend. Instead, I go to another store where new clothes are still being made for G8. They get my cash.

As for spending $25 on an autofit clone - not a chance and I tend to agree with the sentiment that nor do I want to spend my time working through a tutorial so that I can make my own. Didn't these clones find their way to the Freebies forum once upon a time?

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 781

Leana said:

There's no autofit clones provided to go from G9 to earlier figures.
    You could try creating your own clones though: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/599231/making-clones-of-g9-tutorial

The tutorial is quite good and converting G9 clothes to G8F works well.   Just use the G8 and G9 figures from their respective development kits.  That will save a few steps.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,241

marble said:

I don't understand the business sense here. I am not buying G9 characters (and I am sure I am not alone in that) but I would like to buy clothing made for G9 but able to fit G8. If I understand it correctly, there are free clones to enable G8 clothing to be used on G9 but not vice-versa. So I don't buy G9 clothes and DAZ doesn't get my spend. Instead, I go to another store where new clothes are still being made for G8. They get my cash.

As for spending $25 on an autofit clone - not a chance and I tend to agree with the sentiment that nor do I want to spend my time working through a tutorial so that I can make my own. Didn't these clones find their way to the Freebies forum once upon a time?

No marble, no free clones of G9 to any of the older Genesis figures were released. I made the tutorial, it's a rather simple process which might give you a sense of accomplishment when completed ;-)

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,174

Exactly. If using an ERC Freezed clone, you even can directly transfer the cbs (JCM) morphs from G9's garment to the converted one on G8. No need to fix them with external applications.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068

Just checking in. So 6 months later, there are still no AutoFit clones to go from G9 to G8?

When I try to AutoFit G9 clothes on G8, Genesis 9 is not listed in the dropdown box.  AutoFit creates a total distorted mess of the outfit.

Seven193 said:

Just checking in. So 6 months later, there are still no AutoFit clones to go from G9 to G8?

When I try to AutoFit G9 clothes on G8, Genesis 9 is not listed in the dropdown box.  AutoFit creates a total distorted mess of the outfit.

Yes there are. You either have to purchase the product or make your own [free tutorial].

edited June 2023

Seven193 said:

There's been no official clone that you mentioned so far except for MMX's product, but you can create one by yourself. Pretty easy. I created one with ERC Freeze and used Morph Loader Pro to transfer all fixed cbs morphs from G9's garment to G8's converted one, perfect and fast. If you need the tutorial, pls feel free to PM me.

SNAG-2023-6-20-0022.png
    2560 x 1400 - 2M
    Post edited by crosswind on

crosswind said:

Seven193 said:

There's been no official clone that you mentioned so far except for MMX's product, but you can create one by yourself. Pretty easy. I created one with ERC Freeze and used Morph Loader Pro to transfer all fixed cbs morphs from G9's garment to G8's converted one, perfect and fast. If you need the tutorial, pls feel free to PM me.

I'm pretty sure others would also like to see your tutorial, esp. the part about transferring the morphs over as that is one step I did not cover in mine. Please feel free to post it {i.e. I don't mind, my philosophy is the more the merrier}.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492

It would be useful to publish the tutorial, so it can be used alongside Catherine's one. Sometimes one explanation sticks in your memory when another doesn't. When it comes to freebies the exclusion principle seems self defeating to me.

Regards,

Richard

edited June 2023

Sure thing ~ Actually Catherine and me have made the same thing but just in different ways. My native tongue is not English so I just attached the tutorial (screenshots), and a short video of a quicker way of pJCms fixing, as below:

Tutorial (Screenshots): https://mega.nz/file/CfAi1TpD#Jp0awQ78A0ZDgcY8cLNKMVetXAMxmNMvDUNAe2UZnsA

Quick pJCM Fixing of G9 - G8 Converted Garments - Attenuate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh2iaN1WyyY

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068

What do the "body_bs" and "body_cbs" files in the G9 morph folder stand for?  "corrective" something?  Does AutoFit need to convert all of these files to G8?  There can be many of them.

body_bs - body blend shape, like FBM / PBM on G8; body_cbs - corrective blend shape, like pJCM on G8.  Auto-fit DOES convert them but they will not be triggered when you posing the figure while only pJCM will be.

edited June 2023

crosswind said:

Sure thing ~ Actually Catherine and me have made the same thing but just in different ways. My native tongue is not English so I just attached the tutorial (screenshots), and a short video of a quicker way of pJCms fixing, as below:

Tutorial (Screenshots): ... edited ...

Quick pJCM Fixing of G9 - G8 Converted Garments - Attenuate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh2iaN1WyyY

I'm glad I asked because this isn't quite the way I was thinking you meant.

From my tutorials this all would be covered with 2 of them; one for making for the clones, and the other one for making the pJCMs.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    edited June 2023

My tutorial for making pJCMs is over at DA in my tutorial basket {the cover with the figure doing the split}. I have more tutorials over at Renderosity.

For those making many clothes, there are a few PA products to help with the task - esp. if planning to sell them. How many one needs to make depends upon the article of clothing. It is not recommened AFAIK to depend upon dForce to make everything right when it comes to joints. There are some clothing pieces where 'all' the work was not done for whatever reason. I have found that in doing the pJCMs whether one thinks they are required or not, actually does make for nicer draping. As the figure is posed during the drape, the pJCMs do get dialed in.

https://www.daz3d.com/pjcm-poses--for-clothing-creators-for-genesis-8  While for G8, it should be a similar process for G9. This does not make the morphs, it has the poses for which joint control morphs are required.

https://www.daz3d.com/shapesinjector  Where Code 66 says " and those making their own clothes using ZBrush or Marvelous Designer." read also Hexagon or Blender ;-)

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Catherine3678ab said:

My tutorial for making pJCMs is over at DA in my tutorial basket {the cover with the figure doing the split}. I have more tutorials over at Renderosity.

For those making many clothes, there are a few PA products to help with the task - esp. if planning to sell them. How many one needs to make depends upon the article of clothing. It is not recommened AFAIK to depend upon dForce to make everything right when it comes to joints. There are some clothing pieces where 'all' the work was not done for whatever reason. I have found that in doing the pJCMs whether one thinks they are required or not, actually does make for nicer draping. As the figure is posed during the drape, the pJCMs do get dialed in.

https://www.daz3d.com/pjcm-poses--for-clothing-creators-for-genesis-8  While for G8, it should be a similar process for G9. This does not make the morphs, it has the poses for which joint control morphs are required.

https://www.daz3d.com/shapesinjector  Where Code 66 says " and those making their own clothes using ZBrush or Marvelous Designer." read also Hexagon or Blender ;-)

Great! Tutorials and products are very helpful yes

• Ben OaksBen Oaks Posts: 60

artistb3 said:

I absolutely, 100%, refuse to buy any wearable content that will not directly and simply fit to G8. After all these years of wrangling with compatability issues, I am done with it.  And no, don't try to sell me on any autofit clone tutorials. Not good enough 

I have a large investment in time and money in G8. It took a ton of work to get G8 where I need to have it.  I have no plans now or at any time in the forseeable future to make the attempt to migrate from G8 to G9. It seems that DAZ and it's PAs expect that people will re-invest enormous amounts of time and money in G9. I have heard all of the "one needs to crack some eggs in order to make an omlette" excuses.  Sorry, but backward and forward compatability are extremely important to many of us and I, for one, will not accept less anymore.

I was one of those who thought DAZ made a huge mistake in abandoning the G1 approach to gender.  After all these years we are finally seeing a suitable replacement for G1. And now that they have reverted to a non-binary base character, it's too late for me to support it. 

I whole heartedly concur.

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 244

DAZ really should provide a free utility to fit G9 items to G8 etc. There must be quite a few people who don't want to invest in yet another "generation", but would buy G9 clothing and hair if it was easy and free to use it on earlier figures.

• Using an ERC autofit clone to get the correctives is a neat idea. I haven't tried that yet as thus far I haven't gotten any overly evident issues when using G9 clothes on G8/8.1

For JCMs I just pose the original figure the clothes were created for (with it fitted to the figure) then export the result as JCM and reimport it using Morph Loader Pro (If i'm trying to convert or fix clothing converted between various figures)

edited September 2023

marble said:

So I ignored my own statement here and ended up buying the MMX clone product (well, it was going cheap-cheap in the PA sale today). Anyhow, I only have one G9 outfit so far and it contains a shirt with buttons. Of course, the buttons were anywhere but where they are supposed to be after the conversion to G8F so I'm wondering if there's a workaround for this? Anyone?

I'm guessing that the "solution" is to make the buttons invisible.

Post edited by marble on
  • Unfortunately, there's no quick-fix solution for the buttons and exactly the same thing happens when converting G8 clothing to G9. My experience is that earlier outfits use custom bones to place the buttons, later ones (and particularly dForce outfits) tend to use rigid follow nodes which the buttons are attached to but there are no hard and fast rules. Any custom skeleton for clothing/hair etc. will be lost during autofit but I'm not entirely sure why the follow nodes break. I'm sure someone knows but the 'why' is irrelevant to fixing it - it happens, we have to deal with it.

Anyway, neither method survives the conversion process intact.

Regardless of the clothing's original method, re-positioning / re-attaching the buttons is just a one-off process and I'd recommend using rigid follow nodes. I say 'just' but some jackets et.al. have a a myriad of the things on cuffs, shoulders, lapels and it could take a while! A shirt or a pair of pants with a few buttons won't take you long.

Tutorial from Mada here if you've not encountered rigid follow nodes before:

TimberWolf said:

Unfortunately, there's no quick-fix solution for the buttons and exactly the same thing happens when converting G8 clothing to G9. My experience is that earlier outfits use custom bones to place the buttons, later ones (and particularly dForce outfits) tend to use rigid follow nodes which the buttons are attached to but there are no hard and fast rules. Any custom skeleton for clothing/hair etc. will be lost during autofit but I'm not entirely sure why the follow nodes break. I'm sure someone knows but the 'why' is irrelevant to fixing it - it happens, we have to deal with it.

Anyway, neither method survives the conversion process intact.

Regardless of the clothing's original method, re-positioning / re-attaching the buttons is just a one-off process and I'd recommend using rigid follow nodes. I say 'just' but some jackets et.al. have a a myriad of the things on cuffs, shoulders, lapels and it could take a while! A shirt or a pair of pants with a few buttons won't take you long.

Tutorial from Mada here if you've not encountered rigid follow nodes before:

Thanks for the detailed response and the video - I'll watch that and try to follow the method. Yes, I believe the shirt I mentioned does have the buttons attached to Rigid Follow Nodes if they are the ones with the little translation widgets.