All of a sudden my Genesis 8 figures are not loading properly.

i'm sure it was alright this morning but all of a sudden my genesis 8 models load looking all emaciated.... the only things i've done differently is play with some new products, camera magic and dForce assistant.

i get pages and pages and pages of this in the log:

Post edited by SolitarySandpiper on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

SolitarySandpiper said:

the only things i've done differently is play with some new products,

Those new products are probably the culprit, but your screenshot doesn't give enough information. 

Attach your log as a text file to your post, do not copy the content of the log to the message area.

• Thank you,

i don't know if you need me to try and load another genesis 8 model?... but this is the log as of now.

A sample from your log;

Formula output property not found: Genesis8Female:/data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Morphs/DAZ%203D/Expressions/eCTRLShock_HD.dsf#eCTRLShock?value - in file: /data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Morphs/Gustef/101%20EL/G%20101%20EL%20Fear%20Worry.dsf

The line is saying that when reading file "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/Gustef/101 EL/G 101 EL Fear Worry.dsf", DS found a reference to a formula in file "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Expressions/eCTRLShock_HD.dsf", which it can't find.

The eCTRLShock_HD.dsf is part of G8 starter essentials, which you should have installed, unless you have removed it.

If you removed them in trying to get G8 expressions working on G8.1, you missed a warning in the instructions;
    "Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders."

When you reinstall Genesis 8 Starter Essentials, the files will be installed back (together with the dummy files for G8.1)

The instructions for getting G8 expressions to work on G8.1 (read twice, do once);

Making the G8 base expressions (and any expressions that are using them) work on G8.1 requires removing dummy/placeholder expressions that are installed to G8.1 morph folders - These dummy/placeholder expression files have no other function than to prevent the base G8 expressions from loading. 

The dummy/placeholder files are located in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)

Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders.

Note 1; If you are logging in to DS and letting DAZ Connect (within DS) to install/update your content, you may have these also in an other location that has "\Data\Cloud\" in it's path
    Note 2; Do not remove any files from "FACS" or "FACSExpressions" folders

• i've never tried to get gen 8 expressions working on 8.1 or Uninstalled gen 8 starter essentials... anyway this a log of me trying to load a gen 8 figure again (the start of the process was missing off the last log)

i notice it makes reference to a fantasy corset which just so happens to be a item of clothing i used when playing with camera magic for the first time... don't know if that has any relevance?

i'll just wait to hear back from you before i try to re install gen 8 starter essentials.

Thank you.

Ok, the new log had a G8.1 expression "GaiaSmile.dsf" not finding "GaiaSmile.dsf"...

How do you install your content?
    Do you log in to DS?

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

Log shows you loaded Arianna 8.1 and Victoria 9, but this "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/Elianeck/Lolo/PHMMouthRealism_HD_div2.dsf" is the only morph being loaded that shouldn't be.

Most of the log shows G8F expression correctives failing to load when loading G8.1F, this is normal for the default set up of G8.1F/M as it uses a different system to G8F/M, and blocks access to those files.

• SolitarySandpiperSolitarySandpiper Posts: 510
    edited November 2022

i install daz stuff exclusively through install manager.

rendo stuff i do manually to a seperate folder and use content wizard to make smart content.

i don't log into DS

• Bejaymac said:

Log shows you loaded Arianna 8.1 and Victoria 9, but this "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/Elianeck/Lolo/PHMMouthRealism_HD_div2.dsf" is the only morph being loaded that shouldn't be.

Most of the log shows G8F expression correctives failing to load when loading G8.1F, this is normal for the default set up of G8.1F/M as it uses a different system to G8F/M, and blocks access to those files.

G8F expressions correctives failing to load...is that what all them warnings are in my first screen shot in my first post, and as such nothing to worry about?

Just to make sure, the "Automatically Login With Remembered Credentials" and "Show Login Page" are not checked in DS Preferences/Startup?

What does the folder structure in Content Directory Manager look like (everything expanded like in the attached sample)?

ContDirMan.jpg
    384 x 240 - 11K
    edited November 2022

definitely unchecked and here is my content directory (i scribbled out the same stuff you did)

edited November 2022

Everything fine in Content Directory Manager, no nested folders there.

Had a new look at the log, and Bejaymac is right. In the title you talk about Genesis 8 characters not loading right, but you are actually loading Genesis 8.1 characters - Not having removed the dummy expressions in the G8.1 morph folders, makes G8 base expressions not accessible to the PA made expressions for G8 that would use them.

Remove the dummy files or those lines will be pestering you everytime you load a G8.1 character.

Post edited by PerttiA on
    edited November 2022

it concerns me to learn that PA made expressions wouldn't have access to the base expressions they require... surely that is not the case?

Would the dummy files be in any of the directories you see in the directory manager?

SolitarySandpiper said:

it concerns me to learn that PA made expressions wouldn't have access to the base expressions they require... surely that is not the case?

Those expressions are for G8, and if you use them on G8, they work just fine and you don't get the lines in the log.

For G8.1, DAZ changed DS to allow G8.1 to load G8 morphs and use them, but for some reason they decided to prevent loading the G8 base expressions to G8.1, forgetting or not realizing that the PA made expressions would still load but would not function if they were utilizing the G8 base expressions - One gets the dials, but they don't work.

Following the instructions I wrote, one can remove the dummy expression files that are blocking the G8 base expressions from working, it stops the lines in the log and also improves posing of G8.1 in Power Pose.

SolitarySandpiper said:

Would the dummy files be in any of the directories you see in the directory manager?

I have given the path, starting from the base folder of a content directory, ie. the folder that you have specified in Content Directory Manager.

I don't know which one, as I don't know in which one have you installed the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials into. 

• Thank you PerttiA...I do appreciate the time you have spent trying to help.

i've been running into issues all week and my head is spinning!... just gonna use my laptop for now and come back to this issue when my head clears.

again Thanks.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

As I'm using mosly G9 now, I removed all characters and some morphs for G8, and load times are now amazing; if I want something, it's quicker to save the morph I have, delete the G8 figure, load the item, reload G8 and apply the morph than it is to wait while G8 loads with all the stuff I rarely use.

It also means that loading G8 is much more straightforward when needed to copy a pose over.

... The reason for my story; unload lots of stuff and be surprised how little you use it. wink

edited November 2022

nicstt said:

As I'm using mosly G9 now, I removed all characters and some morphs for G8, and load times are now amazing; if I want something, it's quicker to save the morph I have, delete the G8 figure, load the item, reload G8 and apply the morph than it is to wait while G8 loads with all the stuff I rarely use.

It also means that loading G8 is much more straightforward when needed to copy a pose over.

... The reason for my story; unload lots of stuff and be surprised how little you use it. wink

i pretty much do that with my laptop... when i bought it i just added a couple of my favorite models and anything else as and when i need it.

The problem i have with my desktop is something different... after playing with some new programs it now is acting up.

• PerttiA said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

I have given the path, starting from the base folder of a content directory, ie. the folder that you have specified in Content Directory Manager.

I don't know which one, as I don't know in which one have you installed the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials into. 

i found and removed the files... it hasn't helped with the problem but i'm happy that my G8.1 figures now have plenty more expressions.

Cheers.