Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    edited April 29

Wow, I'm surprised. I guess this is a thing I never knew of. I bet you never did rib knit cuffs or neck bands sideways, though, so that the rib contracts up and down instead of hugging your wrist or neck. Here are two different rib knits from this shader pack applied to the MEGA Wardrobe Sweater, which has a proper UV map. Look at the directrion of the stitches. Do these sideways directed stitches look right to you?

I rotated the shader maps. I think this looks the way I would expect knit shaders to apply to proper UV maps.

FC2C rib shaders applied to MEGA Wardrobe Sweater.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 959K
    FC2C rib shaders ROTATED applied to MEGA Wardrobe Sweater.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited April 29

Here's another disappointing surprise. The "white" base maps are different shades (some more white, some more gray) so that when you mix knit types and apply the same color, they do not match. They do not look like different stitches with the same yarn.

FC2C shaders applied to MEGA Wardrobe Sweater base whites don't match.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 984K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,909

In the industry, side ways knitting does exist, but it's rare. And it would never be used in a conventional sweater like barbult's example. It's always unconventional (and usually expensive) pieces.

• FC2CFC2C Posts: 40

barbult said:

FC2C said:

Richard Haseltine said:

FC2C said:

Laurita said:

Which is particularly annoying when you search for knit shaders and these won't show up. I agree that they are nice. 

Hylas said:

https://www.daz3d.com/fc2c-woven-fabric-ms-shaders

99% of folks won't care, but I happen to be a professional in this specific industry so it buggs me to no end... none of the "woven" fabrics in this shader pack are woven! They are all knitted. Completely different technique, different machines, different yarns, different processing, different everything. cool

The shaders do look good though.

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah I had an internal dilemma when naming these haha, I over complicated it and then fumbled the tags as well. People may never find them but I'm glad at least that the people who have seen them seem to like the shaders haha 

I should think you could ask for the tags to be changed (knit might be a more likely search term than knitted) - possibly the name too, though after the wallpaper they may make a Genesis 9 clone of you and stick virtual pins in its feet (probably not its arms, since they would want you to keep making these materials). I was puzzled by the name, but they are very useful fabric types so they are safely in my cart.

Hahaha you know about the wallpaper mess up?? Haha I think they'd string me up if I had to change another thing but I really should ask because I royally messed up the tags this time! the only way you can find these is if you search something like "knitted shaders pack" which no one is doing aha XD, thank you for your support!

@FC2C My biggest disappointment with this shader set is the number of knits that go the "wrong" way. Knit wales run vertically on a garment. Of course the result will depend on the UV of the item the shader is applied to, but when the UV is correctly laid out the way a garment would be cut from fabric, many of the shaders in this pack go 90 degrees wrong. The cable knit is OK, but the rib patterns that I looked at are wrong. I think the purl is wrong, too, but I haven't examined it closely. Now I have to decide whether it is worth it to rotate these with Shader Rotator or whether I should just return the product.

Hey there , the rotation was something I was wondering how to handle I was speaking with people and coders to find a way to give buyers an easy option to rotate the shaders because I was worried that doubling the entire pack to include rotations for everyone's uses would make it absolutely enormouse, everyone I spoke to about a solution couldn't figure it out. I'd absolutely include 90° rotations in my next packs if everyone thinks that the doubled pack size is preferable to rotating the shader themselves for sure! It's my bad for this one, it was a decision I struggled with and I may have made the wrong choice unfortunately. It's absolutely something I'll fix in future products if everyone finds it to be a big issue, it'll just mean much larger pack size until I find a better solution. I hope I've at least been able to explain why it is the way it is.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,909

Here's two things we made that are knitted sideways.

With the 1st one, the pink "dripping" effect (which is an intarsia) would have been a nightmare if knitted the conventional way, it would have kept switching between blue and pink so many times. By knitting it sideways we managed the same effect with a more simple intarsia, pink on one side and blue on the other.

If you understood anything I just wrote you're a complete nerd. Careful, you might get pantsed.

The 2nd one we knitted sideways to achieve that zig-zag hem.

barbult said:

Wow, I'm surprised. I guess this is a thing I never knew of. I bet you never did rib knit cuffs or neck bands sideways, though, so that the rib contracts up and down instead of hugging your wrist or neck. Here are two different rib knits from this shader pack applied to the MEGA Wardrobe Sweater, which has a proper UV map. Look at the directrion of the stitches. Do these sideways directed stitches look right to you?

I rotated the shader maps. I think this looks the way I would expect knit shaders to apply to proper UV maps.

Regarding the different shades of the base version I hadn't realised this would be an issue, I was so focussed on making each shader individually the best I possibly could that I failed to think about how they would work together. The same with the rotations, I'm really relatively new to the industry and so while making texture shaders is an absolute passion of mine, knowing where they will be applied or even the standard UV mapping of clothing isn't something I'm familiar with. I didn't realise these would be issues but I'm enquiring as to whether I can fix the shade match up of the base albedos at the very least, I really hope this hasn't soured you to my work, it's all still a learning curve for me, but thanks to you this us a mistake I won't make again!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054

LIE should be able to rotate maps

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

One can rotate textures/maps in Layered Image Editor, but one must do it separately for the diffuse texture and whatever maps there are.

There is also a product for rotating them; https://www.daz3d.com/shader-rotator

• eshaesha Posts: 3,235
    edited April 29

I'm a passionate knitter, and I can confirm that knitting sideways is indeed a thing, both for store-bought and home-made items. Actually, I'm wearing such a sweater right now, and it's from H&M so not particularly fancy. smiley
    It is definitely unusual, though, to have cuffs or neckbands knitted sideways - unless they have a special feature like a big fat horizontal cable.

Those shaders look good (thanks for bringing them to my attention!), but I agree that horizontal vs. vertical orientation is important to make the textures look believable.

Post edited by esha on
  • eshaesha Posts: 3,235

Hylas said:

If you understood anything I just wrote you're a complete nerd. Careful, you might get pantsed.

Ok, so I confess to being a nerd LOL
    Although to me it is just plain and normal knit speak.

I just checked Ravelry's pattern database and got over 2000 results for the attributes pullover + sideways. But granted, most of those are meant to be hand-knitted.
    Link for those who are interested

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,528

I had a sideways knitted maroon & black jumper. It meant I matched the maroon & black 2CV when driving it. There was enough eccentricity from the car not to faze people when they saw me in the jumper.

Regards

Richard.

edited April 29

Right, having got the knitting thing out of my system. I really like 'Mexico City' . No, I don't like the city never having been there, but the model is amazing. It looks dirty, grimy, scuffed & used. Perfect. That's so hard to find. In some ways it still looks a bit too clean & new despite the rubbish in the promos, but it's believable, and that's as much as you can ask for. Like it.

Regards,

Richard

Edited for tripe writing errors.

Post edited by richardandtracy on

richardandtracy said:

Right, having got the knitting thing out of my system. I really like 'Mexico City' . No, I don't like the city never having been there, but the model is amazing. It looks dirty, grimy, scuffed & used. Perfect. That's so hard to find. In some ways it still looks a bit too clean & new despite the rubbish in the promos, but it's believable, and that's as much as you can ask for. Like it.

Same. I was drooling over it yesterday, but didn't want to make a bigger purchase at the time.
    Today it may land in my product library though. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,868

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Edited for tripe writing errors.

Yes, it's fabulous, as are all of Aurelio's street corner sets, but they are really heavy, memory-wise.

• FC2C said:

barbult said:

FC2C said:

Richard Haseltine said:

FC2C said:

Laurita said:

Which is particularly annoying when you search for knit shaders and these won't show up. I agree that they are nice. 

Hylas said:

99% of folks won't care, but I happen to be a professional in this specific industry so it buggs me to no end... none of the "woven" fabrics in this shader pack are woven! They are all knitted. Completely different technique, different machines, different yarns, different processing, different everything. cool

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah I had an internal dilemma when naming these haha, I over complicated it and then fumbled the tags as well. People may never find them but I'm glad at least that the people who have seen them seem to like the shaders haha 

I should think you could ask for the tags to be changed (knit might be a more likely search term than knitted) - possibly the name too, though after the wallpaper they may make a Genesis 9 clone of you and stick virtual pins in its feet (probably not its arms, since they would want you to keep making these materials). I was puzzled by the name, but they are very useful fabric types so they are safely in my cart.

Hahaha you know about the wallpaper mess up?? Haha I think they'd string me up if I had to change another thing but I really should ask because I royally messed up the tags this time! the only way you can find these is if you search something like "knitted shaders pack" which no one is doing aha XD, thank you for your support!

@FC2C My biggest disappointment with this shader set is the number of knits that go the "wrong" way. Knit wales run vertically on a garment. Of course the result will depend on the UV of the item the shader is applied to, but when the UV is correctly laid out the way a garment would be cut from fabric, many of the shaders in this pack go 90 degrees wrong. The cable knit is OK, but the rib patterns that I looked at are wrong. I think the purl is wrong, too, but I haven't examined it closely. Now I have to decide whether it is worth it to rotate these with Shader Rotator or whether I should just return the product.

Hey there , the rotation was something I was wondering how to handle I was speaking with people and coders to find a way to give buyers an easy option to rotate the shaders because I was worried that doubling the entire pack to include rotations for everyone's uses would make it absolutely enormouse, everyone I spoke to about a solution couldn't figure it out. I'd absolutely include 90° rotations in my next packs if everyone thinks that the doubled pack size is preferable to rotating the shader themselves for sure! It's my bad for this one, it was a decision I struggled with and I may have made the wrong choice unfortunately. It's absolutely something I'll fix in future products if everyone finds it to be a big issue, it'll just mean much larger pack size until I find a better solution. I hope I've at least been able to explain why it is the way it is.

For what it's worth, I think you made the correct decision. They should probably have been rotated by 90° from what I'm reading here, but I don't think there's any need to offer the same shaders at different rotations. It's not your fault that Daz Studio doesn't have a "rotate all materials associated with this surface" button, and starting to clutter hard drives with the same shaders shaders at various rotations will make you more enemies than friends.

I love all your shaders, btw. The knitted ones, in particular, arrived at the perfect time for a project I'm working on. No others knitted shaders I had could do the job I needed them for (making hair for a rag doll).

@FC2C thank you for listening to feedback!
    @Hylas those are very wild and exotic looking outfits - very impressive. Thanks for sharing the side-knit examples.

I've definitely learned something here. Side-knit can be a "thing"! I guess I'm behind the times. Since moving to Florida (over 40 years ago!) my need for items I used to knit, like sweaters, mittens, and scarves has dwindled to zero. Still, as @esha mentioned, orientation is important to make the surfaces look believable.

Daz Studio does have a way to rotate all maps at the same time. It is not built in, it is a PA script product, Shader Rotator (linked above by @PerttiA) from V3Digitimes. It is what I used with these shaders, and it works well. It does make an extra copy of each map in the rotated orientation, so there is no free lunch as far as disk space goes.

My personal preference would be to have both vertical and horizontal orientations included, rather than 3 copies of the textures at different resolutions, if product package size is a concern. Other people have other needs and other preferences. I can only speak for myself.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,447
    edited April 29

Layered Image Editor twill do the job - this is one of the cable knits, on the further plane I opened each map in turn (five in all) in Layered Image Editor and set the rotation to 90 degrees CW. In principle that modification could be scripts, though it isn't a feature I have touched - of coruse it would still need doing, and redoing any time the base settings were chnaged, and then QAing but it wouldn't add much to pack size (however, it would be wise to add a note to the readme about adjusting the compression/speed setting so that loading the LIEs didn't take too long).

Cable knits.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,900

barbult said:

My personal preference would be to have both vertical and horizontal orientations included, rather than 3 copies of the textures at different resolutions, if product package size is a concern. Other people have other needs and other preferences. I can only speak for myself.

My go-to fabric shaders, 4K Fabric Shaders Presets 1 and Fabric Basics Mix and Match (the latter of which I had to look up in my product library because no combination of search terms was finding it in the store) both have horizontal and vertical knits.

Gordig said:

barbult said:

My go-to fabric shaders, 4K Fabric Shaders Presets 1 and Fabric Basics Mix and Match (the latter of which I had to look up in my product library because no combination of search terms was finding it in the store) both have horizontal and vertical knits.

I own both of those. I should look closely at them again. Thanks for the reminder.

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,115
    Definitely not a knitting expert, but based on the replies here, wouldn't the simplest solution be to adjust the default orientation to produce a vertical knit and to leave the user to rotate the shader in the much less common case when a horizontal knit is needed?

The zips are already ~1.4 GB. Doubling the size doesn't seem like a good idea.

ainm.sloinneadh said:

FC2C said:

barbult said:

FC2C said:

Richard Haseltine said:

FC2C said:

Laurita said:

Hylas said:

For what it's worth, I think you made the correct decision. They should probably have been rotated by 90° from what I'm reading here, but I don't think there's any need to offer the same shaders at different rotations. It's not your fault that Daz Studio doesn't have a "rotate all materials associated with this surface" button, and starting to clutter hard drives with the same shaders shaders at various rotations will make you more enemies than friends.

I love all your shaders, btw. The knitted ones, in particular, arrived at the perfect time for a project I'm working on. No others knitted shaders I had could do the job I needed them for (making hair for a rag doll).

Thank you for the kind words blush I'm glad my shaders were able to help! At the very least I learnt something new today aha I didn't know there was a 'proper' UV layout for clothes. But now that I do I can certainly plan for that in the future laugh and I'm really happy to hear that my shaders are being used in such unique ways! It's always a bit bittersweet when I finish a shader pack, send it out to the world and never really get to see it used on anything aha XD

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,900

barbult said:

I own both of those. I should look closely at them again. Thanks for the reminder.

As someone who does all of his rendering outside of DS these days, I may have a different relationship with Daz content than most on the forums, because a DS shader/material preset is only useful to me for exposing which maps I need to copy.

Well.

Interesting to see Kraskwerks' characters duplicated here, currently at a fair bit less here than in the other shop. One character from my wishlist there has disappeared despite still being in the shop there, so I suspect those shop entries will go soon. 

richardandtracy said:

Well.

Interesting to see Kraskwerks' characters duplicated here, currently at a fair bit less here than in the other shop. One character from my wishlist there has disappeared despite still being in the shop there, so I suspect those shop entries will go soon. 

Apparently a significant number of creators have left as today's (Rendo) newsletter had an article about it.

Hmm. They have started to take it seriously if the CEO gets to write the newsletter. Not that anything meaningful was said.

I expressed concern near the beginning of the month about the scale of defections for the health of the site, and I must admit thay have not reduced by one iota. The reverse, to be honest. Most of my predictions made the time for further defections have come to pass.

Regards,

Richard

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,868

I don't see how running off your talent encourages "competition" or "ensures that [they] are a healthy business," but okay.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,162

PerttiA said:

richardandtracy said:

Same. I was drooling over it yesterday, but didn't want to make a bigger purchase at the time.

I bought it, but of course I'm planning to turn it into a US small town. The top floor of the corner building would work fine, I just have to remove signage, and replace the bottom floor with shopfronts.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,034

lou_harper said:

PerttiA said:

richardandtracy said:

I bought it, but of course I'm planning to turn it into a US small town. The top floor of the corner building would work fine, I just have to remove signage, and replace the bottom floor with shopfronts.

Actually, the streets could work just as they are in heavily Hispanic areas of major cities without too much adjustments. I don't speak/read Spanish, so I can't tell if there are unique references to specific Mexico City locales, but having lived around the Western U.S., there are many areas that have unique ethnic neighborhoods or strip malls, where clusters of new residents have moved in over the past sixty or so years. I am sure the MidWest/East Coast has the same where European and Asian enclaves settled during the late 1800s and the signage reflects that.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,162

memcneil70 said:

lou_harper said:

Actually, the streets could work just as they are in heavily Hispanic areas of major cities without too much adjustments. I don't speak/read Spanish, so I can't tell if there are unique references to specific Mexico City locales, but having lived around the Western U.S., there are many areas that have unique ethnic neighborhoods or strip malls, where clusters of new residents have moved in over the past sixty or so years. I am sure the MidWest/East Coast has the same where European and Asian enclaves settled during the late 1800s and the signage reflects that.

It would work in some parts of LA too, but what I need is more of a "Jessic Fletcher was here" kinda small town. And it's for custom work, so no flex.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 745
    edited May 1

memcneil70 said:

lou_harper said:

PerttiA said:

richardandtracy said:

Minnesota girl here. I don't spend a lot of time in the Twin Cities, but I have been through parts of the city and surrounding suburbs with signage I couldn't read  or that was in dual languages. There's a lot of diversity, with a lot of folk from  Africa and Mexico/Central/South America as well as the European/Asian (especially Hmong - St. Paul has the largest population of that group of any city in the US) you mentioned. A lot of work to be had for translators around here.

Post edited by SilverGirl on
This discussion has been closed.