Slow Render time Rtx 3090 i9 96gbs of ram

Hello everyone. Im a bit frustrated at how long my animation renders are taking. If anyone has any advice or tips that can help speed up my render times that would be greatly appreciated. Atp Im about ready to give up on Daz as far as animation goes. It took over 8 hours to render about 40 frames in a sequence animation. Its taking about 15 min to render 1 frame.  Am i doing something wrong? 

Specs: RTX 3090

i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz   3.30 GHz

96gbs of ram

Ive attached a frame from the animation for reference its 2000x2000

Palace walk123.png
2000 x 2000 - 5M

Comments

• Rendering is relatively slow - that's why films use big render farms with multiple machines grinding through frames. Ten minutes for a 2,000 pixel squre image does not sound unreasonable - simplifying materials might help, as might avoid shadowy areas like the back of the arcade in your example.

• tfistfis Posts: 129

ibjahni said:

Hello everyone. Im a bit frustrated at how long my animation renders are taking. If anyone has any advice or tips that can help speed up my render times that would be greatly appreciated. Atp Im about ready to give up on Daz as far as animation goes. It took over 8 hours to render about 40 frames in a sequence animation. Its taking about 15 min to render 1 frame.  Am i doing something wrong? 

96gbs of ram

Reduce resolution, change your settings, add more light.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited November 2022

Reduce the image size and limit the number of samples.

I have rendered animations at 800x600px and a scene with one G8 character and architecture takes less than a minute to render per frame (max 500 samples)

Edit: Im using a 3060 12GB

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

Since Nvidia worked on accelerating pre-calculated renders, tons of people (born after year 2000 usually) want their images in 5 seconds....

Am i doing something wrong? 

Not at all. You're just expecting something that does not exist (yet). When anyone uses path or ray tracers, renders take time. A lot of time. Just gotta live with that in mind. Pixar/Disney (huge size images of course) work with a computer farm of about 24,000 CPU cores and it takes 24 hours to render 1 frame.

So don't complain about 15 minutes with just 1 computer. No matter how many CPU/GPU cores you have, 15 minutes is VERY short. Very very very short. Someone with a 2070 Super would probably wait 2 hours for the same result. So be : happy. What you're experiencing is all very normal.

If you want speed : stop pre-calculated renders and work for the video game industry.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone. At least now i know it isnt a user error indecision

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

ibjahni said:

96gbs of ram

Slow in comparrison to what?

"Your expectations" doesn't really help us understand what you mean.

You have a lot of light and shadow; the image is well cleaned, which I'm guessing you have thrown horse-power at. Your scene looks like it was designed to be a hog for resources. :D

There is a lot of glossy materials, which also take longer.

Reduce the converge ration, perhaps the quality (depending on what you have) even reduce the update interval from 5 seconds to a couple of minutes.

Rendering is intensive.

A good gaming rig, can only be said to be an adequate rendering rig, so don't expect too much.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited November 2022

Caustic will slow a render down to a crawl, even with your 3090. My System has a 3090 I( click My System Below), and it is a problem with many shiny things that means more bouncing, so a lot more calculations. 

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2022

There's always the possibility to skip pathtracing for animation rendering and use 3Delight, which can be dumbed down infinitely to match your needs. I do semi realistic renders at about 15 - 20 sec/frame. But yeah, if I need all the bells and whistles (bouncelight, SSS etc), rendertimes in 3DL will also skyrocket.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

I've been rendering animations for several days, with one shot of 85 frames taking over an hour per frame. It just takes time.

• tfistfis Posts: 129

I try to keep it down to roughly 1 frame per minute rendering time (1720x720). Mostly outdoors or well prepared indoors (section nodes, delete everthing not in the frame, etc). Max samples about 1000, post SSIM on but no denoiser.  With 1-2 G8 it works quite fine on a 6700k/64GB with a 3080 12GB. 2000x2000 (for which output device?) is overkill.

• It's meant for Instagram. I know ig doesn't require such a large image but I want it to be high quality. I see a lot of the comments saying the image size "2000x 2000 is too big. So what would yall say is a adequate enough size for a video? And the reason I'm complaining is because I once rendered a 30sec animation in c4d in 1 day. So I'm like ok...
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

ibjahni said:

And the reason I'm complaining is because I once rendered a 30sec animation in c4d in 1 day. So I'm like ok...

Using which render engine?