The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

Comments

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,451

Bought a second hand HP Pavilion Laptop. Got it home. Turned it on - Only to discover the "H" key opens the "About" page in settings. It also triggers a few other keys. I can type from A-G, but nothing beyond that. 

RAM is supposed to be 8GB, but it can only find 3.1GB (most of it is taken up by the hardware). There is only 300MB of free space.

It's missing screws in the bottom. It's the ideal replacement for the somewhat battered laptop that I'm using now.

I don't know whether to take it back to the shop where I bought it from, or take it to a computer repair store to see if anything can be fixed :/ 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,110

N-RArts said:

Bought a second hand HP Pavilion Laptop. Got it home. Turned it on - Only to discover the "H" key opens the "About" page in settings. It also triggers a few other keys. I can type from A-G, but nothing beyond that. 

RAM is supposed to be 8GB, but it can only find 3.1GB (most of it is taken up by the hardware). There is only 300MB of free space.

It's missing screws in the bottom. It's the ideal replacement for the somewhat battered laptop that I'm using now.

I don't know whether to take it back to the shop where I bought it from, or take it to a computer repair store to see if anything can be fixed :/ 

I'd bring it back.  This is the problem with buying used...anything.  You're getting someone else's problems.

Dana 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,656
    edited December 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Chrome 109 is the last version of Chrome that will support Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1.

it's letting me know I won't be getting future updates everytime I open my browser, I mostly only watch YouTube on this computer but that's Google too

...yeah read about that on a tech journal site.  Not pleased as there will be no more "zero day" updates and extensions/plugins will likely begin breaking as well 

7 was possibly the best, most solid trouble free OS version Microsoft ever rolled out.,,

...then they had to try and "fix it".

That stability was the part of the reason W7 continued to outdo W10 in market share for several years after the "free upgrade" to 10 was released.  As manufacturers and custom houses started bundling 10 with new systems, particularly after the advent of Intel's Kaby Lake and the first generation AMD Zen CPUs (which only supported W10)  that was when 10's market share finally grew to anything significant . 

With the latest Beta of 4.21, Iray GPU rendering no longer supports W7 so it's back to glacial CPU rendering again.  With Daz5 being built on the Qt6 platform (which also no longer supports  anything earlier that W10) it pretty much is the and of the road for us holdouts here.

Have to think this one through for a while  as it's hard going from something so elegant and dependable to something that has way too many bells & whistles just begging for something to go wrong somewhere.

As chief engineer Montgomery Scott once said, "The more they over think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 2022

Rezca said:

@kyotokid -  Personal experience with Windows 10 has been about 85% positive here,  using it since almost after it came out. Other than the initial few months its never been much of a problem and Microsoft's never once taken control of my system or did things w/o permission,  and  my laptop's gone months without an update.  Its sitting there with the notification telling me there's one, but unlike on launch day I can postpone it indefinitely.  Yes, 'back in the day'  updates were mandatory, but that's history (I was still on 7 at the time so 'technically' never did anything w/o permission)

Desktop I've been letting it do the updates and despite what the Horror Stories claim its never forced a system restart in the middle of me working on something. Only ever had a problem directly related to a system update once and it wasn't a system bricking either,  and truth be told almost any company can put out a troublesome update on accident  -  MAXON's  first R26 update had half of the interface missing because the GUI files weren't fully uploaded to the build or something,  Paradox recently had their Launcher deliver false positives on mods being corrupted...

I've not moved on to 11 yet myself mostly because a few programs I use frequently have some 'issues' with it right now, or visa-versa. That's just me though,  and I know what works for me obviously may not work for others and personally, I have everything I need right now so I've not seen the point of investigating other OS's. My acquaintances sometimes tell me a Macintosh would suit me better because of my working with graphics so often,  but I'm comfortable where I am  and I guess that's the important thing:  Do what's most comfortable for you, not what others say is best. 

Didn't mean to ramble there but that's all I'm really going to say though since I've learned from experience that people can get quite "passionate" about their opinions and preferences regarding these things,  and I've historically not fared well in debates of any kind...

On a new unrelated topic;   I don't like the Search Tool in D|S.   Do a search for "Eagle"  and  'no products found!'   "Deep"   'no products found!',   "Deepsea"  'no products found!"   then just manually digging into the product tree and there's  Deepsea's Eagle.  According to D|S's search function, no such product exists. Oh, and I also have the DAZ Eagle 2.0,  but as far as the search tool is concerned there's no products with the word 'Eagle'  in them. Also Deep Sea Creatures, but there's no "Deep" text in anything I have either apparently! Get that with things too often for my tastes,  where its sometimes either overly sensitive with the search paramaters or is utterly blind.

..at the time of the free upgrade offer I still was running on 7 home Premium which means I would have received 10 Home edition which back then was literally like handing your system over to Microsoft as you couldn't even defer updates and had to abide by their scheduling. I didn't upgrade to 7 Pro until several years later, but by then 7 was running so smoothly and trouble free (and was still receiving security updates which are the important ones) I saw no reason to change as it was still supported by MS (even though they kept sending "nagwere" to "upgrade" to 10. 

Again I like things simple and W10 seemed anything but given thee then every 6 month update routine.. Meanwhile 7 Kept faithfully chugging along just fine for me with nary a whimper.

The whole issue with the Nvidia driver is something of a surprise as we've been on 471.41.for seemingly forever and when there was an update it was usually just the next driver version available.  I actually am five versions ahead 471, but now the minimum version has jumped to 517 which as I said above it means no more GPU rendering.  So, for now I'll just keep working with the 4.21.0.5 general release.

I have been poking around to see just how much of the rubbish features can be permanently uninstalled on W11 before  I can make any  decision.  There's even a relatively inexpensive  third party app that makes 11 look and feel more like 7 (yes it even gives you back the "real" start menu which can be moved off to the right  corner).  Again I don't need or will ever use much if any of the "fluff" that's included in 10 or 11. and thus would like to get rid of as much as I can as possible.  The one improvement with 11 is you disable auto updating and still manually install what updates you want or need. (Pro version only).   

One of the things I have also read is that 11 does periodic BIOS updates.  That's a big "No" for me. When I first began working with 7 the only times I got BSODs or instabilities was due to flawed drivers  or security updates that had bugs in which that MS would install during auto updates. That's when I switched to manual updating along with reviewing all update files each Patch Tuesday and have not had an issue  Given that experience, I certainly don't want them messing around with the BIOS or any other hardware settings as its not their system.  If I need a drive I'll keep going to the manufacturers source for the latest.

So far, It seems it will be a tonne of work to make 11 behave like an OS should instead of it trying to be some sort of "experience".  If I  want an "experience" I'll go to a theme park and ride a monster roller coaster. or something.

As to Daz and searching I have never seen a more horrible setup than here in the Store, forums, and in the Daz programme itself.

The old  development company I worked for back in the 90s created one of the best most comprehensive search engines that was wsomewhat ahead of its time. far better than what Daz uses.  Our main products were medical journal libraries on CD-ROM (yeah I'm dating myself a bit) so they had to be precise as well as fully cross referenced. Given the nature of medical and scientific terms stored keywords for search matches had to be accurate. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,263
    edited December 2022

Yeah Win7 was good, but it's 14 years old!  Win10 is no slouch, but he who goes looking for trouble often finds it.indecision  Win7 was good to me and I was quite at home with it.  Win8 sucked, Win8.1 better, Win10 after a few years has become a comfortable second home with no broken windows.yes

I've got three modern, and three semi-ancient computers. The modern ones are running Win10 but are Win11 compatible.  The other three are blocked at Win10 but still quite useable household machines.  For how long after the cutover? I don't know.  But I'm not jumping ship to Win11 yet.  There's still another year or two of time for Microsoft to screw it up.devil  But at least I have my nest of Win10 machines to watch over for the next decade as they, like me, develop more wrinkles and lameness.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

sort of an anti-complaint..  Chinook rolled in overnight - temps went from -23C last night  to +1C this AM.. 

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited December 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Yeah Win7 was good, but it's 14 years old!  Win10 is no slouch, but he who goes looking for trouble often finds it.indecision  Win7 was good to me and I was quite at home with it.  Win8 sucked, Win8.1 better, Win10 after a few years has become a comfortable second home with no broken windows.yes

I've got three modern, and three semi-ancient computers. The modern ones are running Win10 but are Win11 compatible.  The other three are blocked at Win10 but still quite useable household machines.  For how long after the cutover? I don't know.  But I'm not jumping ship to Win11 yet.  There's still another year or two of time for Microsoft to screw it up.devil  But at least I have my nest of Win10 machines to watch over for the next decade as they, like me, develop more wrinkles and lameness.frown

I honestly can't remember what 7 was like, I've been on 10 for so long xD   As of current, the 'worst'  mandatory feature is  the Trending Now  search suggestions when I pop open the search bar.  Takes literally half a second for it to go away (Once I put in a single letter to start searching), but it can't be disabled. 

Sometimes I wonder though what using Linux would be like nowadays;  I remember trying Ubuntu years ago because everyone was talking about it and all I managed to do with it after a few hours of trying to get it to install (And getting my uncle to install it for me once it was clear I was too simple minded to do it myself)  was pretty much this -

Needless to say, I didn't stay on Linux for too long :P  That and kinda stubborn - when I use something for so long its hard to want to make a switch. Still happily running with Cinema 4D when I know Blender's free (And in some ways much more capable) simply because I'm far, far more comfortable in the former and have been using it for 10 something years,  and jumping ship to another program would mean needing to convert many GB's of files, materials, etc and needing to learn a new program entirely from scratch.  Totally not ready for that!  And, stubborn.

Unrelated;  woke up dizzy and with a splitting headache <wah>,  want to go back to bed but I can't  :v

Post edited by Rezca on
    edited December 2022

<We interrupt this Complaint Thread to bring you BIRD>

Post edited by Rezca on
  • hacsart said:

sort of an anti-complaint..  Chinook rolled in overnight - temps went from -23C last night  to +1C this AM.. 

Wheee... beach weather.yes 

Just went across the street to get the mail.  It was 58F.  But rainy.

Dana

DanaTA said:

Just went across the street to get the mail.  It was 58F.  But rainy.

Dana

It was raining last night,  helped me get to sleep - hearing it on the roof/window is comforting somehow~

edited December 2022

Rezca said:

<We interrupt this Complaint Thread to bring you BIRD>

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,816

I am tired.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,451

DanaTA said:

N-RArts said:

I'd bring it back.  This is the problem with buying used...anything.  You're getting someone else's problems.

Dana 

Will do. Thanks for replying yes

Spent a good part of today re-watching Fullmetal Alchemist  and picking up a game I hadn't played in like six years. Nothing terribly productive, but oh well. We all have those days when you just need to unwind and de-stress

N-RArts said:

DanaTA said:

N-RArts said:

Dana 

Will do. Thanks for replying yes

You're welcome!

Dana 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,040

Sfariah said:

I am tired.

I am retired.

Wait...yeah, I'm tired as well.

Maybe we should rest.

TJohn said:

Sfariah said:

I am tired.

I am retired.

Maybe we should rest.

Retired.  Shouldn't that mean tired again?  cheeky

Dana 

Well tomorrow's me birthday,  crept up and all that so I got no plans.  Maybe could go to a restraunt before Cake Time,  Applebees perhaps? I liked their seafood. 

Rezca said:

Well tomorrow's me birthday,  crept up and all that so I got no plans.  Maybe could go to a restraunt before Cake Time,  Applebees perhaps? I liked their seafood. 

After midnight here, so...

Happy Birthday, Rezca!

Dana 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,263
    edited December 2022

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

Sfariah said:

I am tired.

I am retired.

Maybe we should rest.

Dana 

Well, if you're in America, "retired" could mean new shoes for your car. enlightened

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

LeatherGryphon said:

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

Sfariah said:

I am tired.

I am retired.

Maybe we should rest.

Dana 

Well, if you're in America, "retired" could mean new shoes for your car. enlightened

laugh  I had thought of that, too.

Dana 

• Couldn't you just partition your main drive or buy a cheap second one and dual-boot, running Windows 7 for all your normal stuff and using Windows 10 expressly for Daz for the iRay rendering?

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

Sfariah said:

I am tired.

I am retired.

Maybe we should rest.

Dana 

Lol!   I want to take a nap.  Not exactly like a meow, as I can't curl up in this chair.

Keep trying to reply to Danta's comment,  Forum keeps telling me "OOPS! Something went wrong." 

So ah, will just say it in new comment instead.   'Thanks for the wishes'  :D

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,304

I ordered a rechargeable 9v battery on Amazon. The picture was of a single battery, it was priced like a single battery, but the listing said 4-count. It just arrived, and as I expected, it was a single battery. Now I have to decide if I have it in me to complain to Amazon that I was promised four batteries, despite having no reasonable expectation I would get four.

edited December 2022

Gordig said:

I ordered a rechargeable 9v battery on Amazon. The picture was of a single battery, it was priced like a single battery, but the listing said 4-count. It just arrived, and as I expected, it was a single battery. Now I have to decide if I have it in me to complain to Amazon that I was promised four batteries, despite having no reasonable expectation I would get four.

In my shoes I might send a message asking about that;  not so  much a complaint but more of a clarification. If it was an error on their part ("We meant to say one, we'll fix that now")  then great,  save others the hassle too. 

Post edited by Rezca on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,010
    edited December 2022

I've been through that several times with Amazon and they absolutely beyond a doubt suck at customer satisfaction and understanding stuff, I've had long back and forth conversations were I literally created photo diagrams to illustrate what the problem was and they would fix the problem by making it worse.
    For me it's been mostly wrong dimensions or item/ model numbers, but I've been through the "Four pack, four units, Count: 4" thing where you get one item and 4 is the norm and it's listed as several places as being a four count thing.

The worst part is when it's generally an assembly and the picture shows the assembly, but you get like the main gear only or the frick'n bracket 

Any time I have to get something from Lexcorp/Amazon I'm always like "well, let's see what interesting turn this takes"... 

Although recently I did order something (a steering gear) that should have consisted of five parts, the photo showed five parts together, but it was too cheap to be the whole thing, so I was like I'll just order it and hopefully it's got the main sector gear that I need and if the other stuff isn't part of it I'll salvage those parts and rebuild the whole thing (I couldn't find the part elsewhere)... and when it came it was the whole thing and it was an exact match to the OEM part.

That was like theremin music scary.

Post edited by McGyver on

I booted up my computer.  It had updates that seemed to take forever to do.  Now I forgot why I turned my computer on.

LeatherGryphon said:

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

Sfariah said:

I am tired.

I am retired.

Maybe we should rest.

Dana 

This discussion has been closed.