The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,730

Complaint I think I have been biting my lips or licking them too much as I have a sensitive area under my bottom lip.  I'm going to try Vaseline soon.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited November 2022

Interesting Moment:  Hmmm..., almost had a YouTube moment right here in my driveway.  The gas company is here this morning to dig up the yard and fiddle with pipes and the gas meter(s) and his big truck backed up into the driveway hill facing downward toward the road.  The driver came to my porch to talk to me and while he was talking, his truck started sliding down the icy driveway!surprise  He ran, I yelped, and luckily the truck saw and heard us and stopped itself just before it entered the road.  Smart truck.wink

Two and a half hours later, the gas guys are still here.  They've dug up the front yard and next to the house.  Old pipes have been cut.  Furnace & hotwater heater are off.  It's gettin' kind'a chilly in here.frown  The old gas meter was in the basement (often difficult to access during winter).  The new gas meter will be on the outside of the house.enlightened

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

I'm trying to decide whether to buy Poser 11 while it is on sale.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2022

Sfariah said:

N-RArts said:

And things were starting to look better.... My Mum's in hospital. Exhaustion. I'm so lost. Who knows how long she's going to be in there. I'm just scared that I'm not going to see her again. crying

I hope your mum gets better soon and continue to get better. 

Thank you :) 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I went to see her this evening. I got told that she was having a CT scan, and would be in for another four days... That was something they didn't tell her. As you can imagine she was fuming. She just wants to come home, and we want the same thing.

I'm so tired. I'm hardly hungry. I'm freezing. And... I want my Mum back!

I keep thinking that I can hear her moving around upstairs. I just cry everytime I go up there, because she isn't. My crying is starting to upset our kitten too.

I've got "admin" to do :( 

Argh! I also keep seeing things. I hallucinated that Mum was sitting in her chair. It was my father. :(

Post edited by N-RArts on
  • beregarberegar Posts: 269

LeatherGryphon said:

Interesting Moment:  Hmmm..., almost had a YouTube moment right here in my driveway.  The gas company is here this morning to dig up the yard and fiddle with pipes and the gas meter(s) and his big truck backed up into the driveway hill facing downward toward the road.  The driver came to my porch to talk to me and while he was talking, his truck started sliding down the icy driveway!

Must have parked to a very steep and icy spot if winter tires didn't hold a stationary car though I've seen that happen, too. He should voice a complaint to town hall that they forgot to put sand on roads again - or salt.

Hate the salt but at least they don't salt anything but the main roads here. Also hate the fact they didn't put sand on my workplace's parking lot... angry

Found these pictures on the internet.  Can you guess the theme or search term I used?

DEB4D32F-39B1-4FA2-902D-891243C8C37B.jpeg
    474 x 278 - 29K
    94F4B2EB-88F1-4B44-9D4E-E69C26A6843D.jpeg
    562 x 500 - 48K
    912BE472-7DB1-45D2-9739-08FC62BAE78D.jpeg
    610 x 419 - 171K
    AE4163C1-CEC3-4F0D-9026-2F6DAC08EE45.jpeg
    651 x 679 - 108K
    724EC54A-5443-49A3-A166-58A7533EFA99.jpeg
    630 x 632 - 98K
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Complaint... Thanksgiving dinner got away...

The deer got away too... I guess that's what they mean by fast food.

Turkeys are very belligerent... They were crossing road and literally shoved past a bunch of small deer (like Labrador retriever size).

In their defense, they might be little on edge considering they probably smell their kin roasting all throughout the neighborhood.

Non-complaint: Me and my daughter went down to the beach to take some sunset photo... (and maybe catch a turkey)...

I didn't want to up load a bunch of boring sunset photos... the sky was very pastel like a Bryce sky... the photos don't capture the subtle hues that well (too rusty orange), but it reminded me of Bryce and therefore Chohole...

I want to go to Walmart to get some jeans.  Will they be on sale tomorrow?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited November 2022

McGyver said:

Non-complaint: Me and my daughter went down to the beach to take some sunset photo... (and maybe catch a turkey)...

I didn't want to up load a bunch of boring sunset photos... the sky was very pastel like a Bryce sky... the photos don't capture the subtle hues that well (too rusty orange), but it reminded me of Bryce and therefore Chohole...

..we had a lavendar sky yesterday (Wednesday).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • That's almost as frightening as the sickly green just before a tornado!surprise

Well, I think my Covid is done with... I'm not as foggy as the last few days and I'm definitely not coughing up banana slugs anymore... I still can't really smell though... (I probably do smell as I haven't showered yet)...

I'm glad I had my booster shots as even with them this Coviding was pretty uncomfortable. 

The forums actually seem surprisingly stable at the moment... the past few days were one constant stream of gateway errors or timeouts and it was getting frustrating.

Not that I had anything important to say, but it's still annoying to open the forums and have it hang forever and you're not sure if your brain is in a looping feed pattern or it's a sick server hamster laying on his back having another seizure... poor Bert.

edited November 2022

N-RArts said:

Thank you :) 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I went to see her this evening. I got told that she was having a CT scan, and would be in for another four days... That was something they didn't tell her. As you can imagine she was fuming. She just wants to come home, and we want the same thing.

I'm so tired. I'm hardly hungry. I'm freezing. And... I want my Mum back!

I keep thinking that I can hear her moving around upstairs. I just cry everytime I go up there, because she isn't. My crying is starting to upset our kitten too.

I've got "admin" to do :( 

Argh! I also keep seeing things. I hallucinated that Mum was sitting in her chair. It was my father. :(

Sorry to hear your mum is in the hospital... I hope she recovers soon and can come home...

I want to say something humorous to cheer you up, but I'm afraid I might sound too cavalier or insensitive as my humor in situations like this is often a bit too convoluted...

Like if I were replying to one of my friends, I'd say the noises were probably just angry poltergeists, so don't worry and if dressing up as your mom makes your dad feel better, it's okay, we all cope differently...
    I dress up as a gorilla sometimes, just to cheer myself up... also to scare old nuns at the retirement convent nearby, but it keeps them on their toes and I think they enjoy it a little bit...

Well, not the ones that faint, obviously... but they keep going to that same area in the back by the brick wall that I hide behind, so they must enjoy being scared...
    That or they are visiting the graves back there... that could account for them holding flowers... ugh... now I feel bad for always taking the flowers...

Whatever... what's done is done...

Laughter or at least a slight chuckle is supposedly the best medicine... it's very hard to bottle up though and making a syrup or pill out of it is even harder... and apparently writing jokes on bricks and anonymously throwing them through someone's window when they are sick to cheer them up is viewed as "threatening", so that whole delivery system is off the table.

If I knew your sense of humor, that would make it easier, but apparently I'm bad at judging appropriate humor for humans and most large mammals... alligators and dogs get it though... 

You aren't an alligator... right?

I hope you don't mind me asking... generally avatars aren't always accurate... and you miss one relevant post and you can go on thinking someone is the wrong gender or genderless or multiple genders or is an entirely different species...

I felt so bad that I kept making cat jokes to that rat guy who was actually a rat girl who's whole family was eaten by cats, years ago... that was many years ago and luckily he's probably long dead, so I guess I don't have to feel bad about it anymore... unless he's not dead... (how long do anthropomorphic rats live?)... but maybe he just stopped posting, in which case... Ooops?

But yeah, if I knew what alligators find funny, I'd definitely try that... I can make alligators laugh... I think...  if hissing menacingly is actually how they laugh... but that's what I was told by the alligator wrangler at the petting zoo... We have a petting zoo around here that actually has a freakin' alligator for some reason and I mentioned it to the guy who was probably the wrangler or zoo keeper, that it was kinda false advertising to call it a petting zoo if you have an alligator, two bears and a cougar that can't be pet... he said the alligator was actually kinda friendly (he also claimed the cougar was affectionate, but the bears were unpredictable)...  despite the fact that as he was saying that it was hissing at everyone... so I'm assuming the stuff that I said to the alligator previously was still making him laugh if the alligator guy was right.

That and virtually every wild alligator I've ever seen (mostly in Florida) have always hissed at me... 

So if you are an alligator I hope something here might make you hiss a bit.

Unless hissing is bad...

And also unless you aren't an alligator, which case I'm really, really sorry if I've made you hiss.

In my defense, your avatar is green, so it could represent an alligator wearing a red wig... but I alway thought reptiles were pretty adverse to wearing wigs after that thing with the monitor lizard... maybe because it was meant for a small dog, but either way Fafnir didn't appreciate it or thought it was something to eat, but never try and place a wig on a three foot long lizard... I know that seems like common sense, but in my defense I'm kind of stupid.

But anyway, I don't want you to think I'm ignoring your current predicament or belittling the gravity of the situation, if anything I'm trying to make you forget about it for a moment by befuddling you with assorted nonsense that often confuses and distracts other people, large mammals and possibly certain reptiles.

Anyway I wish I could cheer you up or something... if not for your sake, for your poor kitten who seems to be really bummed out out too.

I have found that when cats are depressed that reading Elizabethan poetry to them cheers them up a lot... it's depressing as hell to humans, but cats seem to get a real kick out of it... you know what...  maybe just give her a catnip rolly or some cheap scotch... cats love scotch... also I've known a lot of alcoholic cats, so maybe that's not a good idea.

Kittens are awfully easily influenced by bad habits, so maybe avoid addicting her to drugs and booze at the moment.

I feel like I should try and make some useful suggestions to help you distract yourself... like maybe go outside for a walk or something, but for all I know you might live next to a cliff or active volcano or something and going out could be dangerous... or you could be a vampire and get all sparkly in the sunshine like those Twilight vampires... and inevitably any suggestions I make to try and cheer someone up end in arson, so I should probably avoid that.

Then again if you are an alligator, nobody would expect an alligator of setting the park gazebo on fire... soooo... ah, never mind... arson is bad.

Legally I had to say that.

Either way, I hope your mum comes home soon and is good a new as soon as possible... and I hope I haven't been offensive or callous or anything like that... just feel better and if you do go outside, try not to fall into any volcanoes or open pits of lava... if that's a thing where you are.

I hope not... that's very inconvenient and bad for the sinuses... the ash and lava gases that is... the lava itself is terrible for the skin and everything else.

Be well and good luck.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited November 2022

I thought this would be great to release stress, but it is intended for a cat!

oh I also got a potato from Wendy's.

For the duplicate photos I am tired as I started shopping around 10 am and it is now 1:33 or 1333.

edit forgot to say the scratcher isn't for a cat but two cats!

D125B398-ACE4-47BA-AC8A-64447783F82B.jpeg
    640 x 480 - 117K
    CD16FCF3-E968-4F33-AABB-FD215723859E.jpeg
    1280 x 960 - 353K
    5D1D942C-C0DE-41DF-AD9A-D9BA4742AD83.jpeg
    640 x 480 - 171K
    37D6EA84-DC2C-4FDD-982E-3C9EDFA9E1C8.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 5M
    Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • beregarberegar Posts: 269
    edited November 2022

Non-complaint: I think I'm getting old. I used to hate parties and only dealt with other people out of obigation (i.e. work). Today I went to our company's pre-christmas party (or whatever you call it), supposedly only because of the offer of free dinner - and ended up staying three hours, chatting with my colleagues and generally having fun. No one was (yet) drunk either so I didn't have to deal with one of the types of people I hate most: a drunk person. The amazing thing is that I actually enjoyed company of other human beings... shocking, I know!

This happened earlier this week, too, when we had a team meeting I actually had to go by train. It was very fun meeting people you have only met online before. Plus I don't think I've been that far or that long out of town in past 10(ish) years as it was an overnight meeting.

I also realized how nice it is to walk during a winter evening. I met like three people on the way to christmas party (about 2,5 km walk) and none when I walked back so I got some exercise and calm after all the eating and socializing. It was as dark at 9 pm as it was at 6 pm but on my return walk the sky was full of stars and pretty much every house had their season lights on. Nothing tacky, too, but just regular colorless string lights. I don't think I've had a walk like this in... years? I mean a walk that felt at least a little bit magical.

Complaint: Also something as mundane as walk under a starry winter night sky made me realize I have pretty much lost all the mystery and glamour in my life. For past 15 or years the days have been on repeat: get up in the morning, get into shower, contemplate on jumping off the bridge, get to work, work for a day with maybe a lunch break, get to home, eat something, watch youtube/read random stuff, go to sleep, repeat. The only exception is weekends when I add "go to check your elderly parents out of obligation" into the list instead of watch youtube/read random stuff. I can't recall the last time I felt anything was fun or even if I have genuinely laughed at anything this year... the banality of it all is soul crushing.

I vaguely remember what I did yesterday, some of what I did this week and nothing beyond that... did something actually exist before this week? I mean if I look to this thread I see posts made by me but I can't really recall anything of the days I wrote them. I'm always amazed at people who have stories to tell and who vividly seem to recall past. For me past largely stops existing soon after I've lived through the present. Other than as a footnote or a list of keywords in my head.

Post edited by beregar on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

Characters for Genesis 8 look odd.  I guess the textures and lighting in Iray render makes the face look strange.  I might be used to seeing Genesis 8 only in 3delight renders.  Gonna try to render some Genesis 8 characters after my new hard drive arrives.

edited November 2022

beregar said:

Non-complaint: I think I'm getting old. I used to hate parties and only dealt with other people out of obigation (i.e. work). Today I went to our company's pre-christmas party (or whatever you call it), supposedly only because of the offer of free dinner - and ended up staying three hours, chatting with my colleagues and generally having fun. No one was (yet) drunk either so I didn't have to deal with one of the types of people I hate most: a drunk person. The amazing thing is that I actually enjoyed company of other human beings... shocking, I know!

This happened earlier this week, too, when we had a team meeting I actually had to go by train. It was very fun meeting people you have only met online before. Plus I don't think I've been that far or that long out of town in past 10(ish) years as it was an overnight meeting.

I also realized how nice it is to walk during a winter evening. I met like three people on the way to christmas party (about 2,5 km walk) and none when I walked back so I got some exercise and calm after all the eating and socializing. It was as dark at 9 pm as it was at 6 pm but on my return walk the sky was full of stars and pretty much every house had their season lights on. Nothing tacky, too, but just regular colorless string lights. I don't think I've had a walk like this in... years? I mean a walk that felt at least a little bit magical.

Complaint: Also something as mundane as walk under a starry winter night sky made me realize I have pretty much lost all the mystery and glamour in my life. For past 15 or years the days have been on repeat: get up in the morning, get into shower, contemplate on jumping off the bridge, get to work, work for a day with maybe a lunch break, get to home, eat something, watch youtube/read random stuff, go to sleep, repeat. The only exception is weekends when I add "go to check your elderly parents out of obligation" into the list instead of watch youtube/read random stuff. I can't recall the last time I felt anything was fun or even if I have genuinely laughed at anything this year... the banality of it all is soul crushing.

I vaguely remember what I did yesterday, some of what I did this week and nothing beyond that... did something actually exist before this week? I mean if I look to this thread I see posts made by me but I can't really recall anything of the days I wrote them. I'm always amazed at people who have stories to tell and who vividly seem to recall past. For me past largely stops existing soon after I've lived through the present. Other than as a footnote or a list of keywords in my head.

You are definitely getting old... we are all getting old... except of course those of us that are zombies or other undead inferius things that don't age the same... 

I'm glad you got out and went to the party and seemed to have a good time. And the same for that train ride out of town.

You seem to need a holiday somewhere interesting so you can accumulate some interesting stories.

I suggest you take a week off from work, purchase a gorilla costume, a medium size iguana or monitor lizard, a case of aerosolized synthetic cheese product, roller skates and perhaps a parrot or cockatoo... in the very least a surly budgie.

Don't pack a bag, just get on a train out of town and find some place with forest on the edge of town and spend the week lurking in the woods wearing the gorilla costume, scaring joggers and old people... when you are done, bored or the authorities seem to be on a high enough alert, leave town and either head back or find a different town... I honestly don't know what the iguana, the parrot or roller skates are for... probably for the train ride... but you'll figure it out... 

The most important part is the gorilla costume... you'd be surprised how many adventures one can get into wearing a costume.

Plus you never know, you may find a new romance... years ago because of a costume,  I had a crazy adventure with a girl who was into vampires... I was wearing an alien costume when I met her, so I never understood the vampire thing, but that was an inconsequential detail that got lost in the adventure... also I ended up in a part of Philadelphia I never knew existed or ever intended to visit and rather regretted going to in the end, but it was the thrill of the adventure that made it worth bothering with in the first place... also I'm pretty sure there was an iguana, some roller skates and a cranky cockatoo involved in the story somewhere, so that's probably a good reason I included them in the list of stuff you should take with you... I don't remember where the Cheez Whiz came in or what part it played in... oh wait... never mind... oooh... uh, it's not important (but definitely bring some, there's a good chance you won't regret it)...  also probably some clean socks and underwear or at least a trash bag you can use as a poncho if things go really south... god it sucks being in Philly wearing a trash bag and roller skates in the rain... but whatever.

If that's all too much, at least try going to the local park and try shouting at squirrels... maybe you can start a club with other folks who like shouting at squirrels.

I dunno... it's something different.

If you have a bicycle, maybe try exploring your town using it... I mean riding it... don't just carry it around, that defeats the purpose mostly... and if you ran out and bought a gorilla costume the moment you read that up there, without going any further, you could ride around town wearing it... I'm sure you'll make friends or at least get some form of attention... nobody has to know it's you either... it could be your secret identity.

Like Spider-Man... only a gorilla... on a bicycle.

I suppose you could fight crime too if you wanted, but that's up to you... there's a lot of paperwork with that, but it's definitely something that'll break up the monotony... 

I don't mean to harp on it, but you mentioned how nice it was to be out on a cold winter night and I'd just like to point out that gorilla costumes are rather cozy and most crime fighting is done at night... granted it seems to include lots of roofs which are probably very slippery in the winter and lots of back alleys that are usually fairly pee soaked and that gets on the gorilla fur and makes it smell... and gorilla costume are hard to launder... plus you need to have a dry cleaner that's used to dealing with superheroes and keeping their identity secret... that's something you don't see covered in a lot of superhero movies, that relationship with their dry cleaner... it's a sacred oath amongst a very select few of them, and something few people know about.

but whatever... I just thought I'd mention that if you hadn't already considered the gorilla costume thing or bicycles or crime fighting...

Either way, you should get out more often and break up your routine... or don't... I have no idea what your daily life is like or if you'd even enjoy being chased by an angry mob who thinks you are a feral gorilla that eats old people... 

It is a rush... but whatever... I'm being nosy and pushy... you do you and just ignore me.

Sorry to start making suggestions like some feral life coach jumping out from behind a bush at the bus stop... you didn't ask for any advice or suggestions and I had no business sticking my nose in your affairs.

So sorry.

Either way, I'm glad you had a good time.

but if you want more... definitely Gorilla costume + Bicycle.

Thats all...

Cheers.

• beregar said:

Complaint:  I knew it.  I knew it.frown  I was afraid that somewhere, someone was having fun.

LeatherGryphon said:

That's almost as frightening as the sickly green just before a tornado!surprise

...it was an interesting combination of a not very thick deck of low fog and the sunset.

edited November 2022

McGyver said:

You are definitely getting old... we are all getting old... except of course those of us that are zombies or other undead inferius things that don't age the same... 

I'm glad you got out and went to the party and seemed to have a good time. And the same for that train ride out of town.

You seem to need a holiday somewhere interesting so you can accumulate some interesting stories.

I suggest you take a week off from work, purchase a gorilla costume, a medium size iguana or monitor lizard, a case of aerosolized synthetic cheese product, roller skates and perhaps a parrot or cockatoo... in the very least a surly budgie.

[...]

If you have a bicycle, maybe try exploring your town using it... I mean riding it... don't just carry it around, that defeats the purpose mostly... and if you ran out and bought a gorilla costume the moment you read that up there, without going any further, you could ride around town wearing it... I'm sure you'll make friends or at least get some form of attention... nobody has to know it's you either... it could be your secret identity.

Like Spider-Man... only a gorilla... on a bicycle.

[...]

but whatever... I just thought I'd mention that if you hadn't already considered the gorilla costume thing or bicycles or crime fighting...

Either way, you should get out more often and break up your routine... or don't... I have no idea what your daily life is like or if you'd even enjoy being chased by an angry mob who thinks you are a feral gorilla that eats old people... 

It is a rush... but whatever... I'm being nosy and pushy... you do you and just ignore me.

Sorry to start making suggestions like some feral life coach jumping out from behind a bush at the bus stop... you didn't ask for any advice or suggestions and I had no business sticking my nose in your affairs.

So sorry.

Either way, I'm glad you had a good time.

but if you want more... definitely Gorilla costume + Bicycle.

Thats all...

Cheers.

...or Darth Vader on a unicycle wearing a kilt and playing bagpipes with flames coming out of the drones.    Seems to go over well with the residents here in Portland

edited November 2022

...OK actual complaint.

I'm really frustrated at stores that advertise nice discounts but hide the conditions of said savings in very small unreadable print ( particularly for older people with waning vision like myself)

Case in point, I went to the neighbourhood market today and saw a realty great discount on Doritos™ (the original" taco version" which are the only ones I like).  In large easy to read print (even for my old eyes) the price was 1.99$ for "store club members" (which is a major deal because they usually cost over 5$ a bag). So I grab a bag and put in into the basket  When I got home and checked the receipt tape to make sure all my coupons and any deals were honoured to discovered I paid the regular 5.59$ price. 

Apparently it was one of those deals where you had to buy several at one time to get the discount (I checked the market's site and it only applies if you bought was 4 bags)   They've done this before and the required quantity is always in very small print down below the "discount price"   On top of this the product was on the bottom shelf so all I count see was the 1.99$ "Club" price (I certainly  wasn't about to get down on the floor with my old creaky joints to read the "small rpint" at the bottom of the shelf tag).

I actually sent a comment to their home office about this as it is somewhat deceptive and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been burned by it.  What I suggested they do so give the total price for 4 (in this case "7.96$ for 4") and then put the unit price  in small type instead. 

It's really frustrating when you are on a limited income and get cheated like this.

kyoto kid said:

...OK actual complaint.

I'm really frustrated at stores that advertise nice discounts but hide the conditions of said savings in very small unreadable print ( particularly for older people with waning vision like myself)

Case in point, I went to the neighbourhood market today and saw a realty great discount on Doritos™ (the original" taco version" which are the only ones I like).  In large easy to read print (even for my old eyes) the price was 1.99$ for "store club members" (which is a major deal because they usually cost over 5$ a bag). So I grab a bag and put in into the basket  When I got home and checked the receipt tape to make sure all my coupons and any deals were honoured to discovered I paid the regular 5.59$ price. 

Apparently it was one of those deals where you had to buy several at one time to get the discount (I checked the market's site and it only applies if you bought was 4 bags)   They've done this before and the required quantity is always in very small print down below the "discount price"   On top of this the product was on the bottom shelf so all I count see was the 1.99$ "Club" price (I certainly  wasn't about to get down on the floor with my old creaky joints to read the "small rpint" at the bottom of the shelf tag).

I actually sent a comment to their home office about this as it is somewhat deceptive and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been burned by it.  What I suggested they do so give the total price for 4 (in this case "7.96$ for 4") and then put the unit price  in small type instead. 

It's really frustrating when you are on a limited income and get cheated like this.

Or you have to have the store app, or you need to buy something else too, or it's a very limited quantity available, or it's a limited amount but stated profoundly oddly (quantity 2 per style per brand), or it's only on Tuesday, or the "regular" price is not ever the regular price and the discount sucks, or the unit price is bizarrely abnormal ( .79¢ Per .25 ounce), or they raise the price and the sale price is 30% higher than the old regular price and the alleged regular is 50% more than its ever been but it's the new price and the sign says that's the regular price, or the sale price is insulting to anyone with math skills... 

I blame the education system... they force you to learn algebra, but not that "4 for $8!!!" is the same as the regular price of $2 each no matter how big and colorful the starburst banner is. 

The majority of people have no idea what anything costs and you could literally have a sign that says "Huge Discount! $19.99!! Regularly $2.99!!" and people would still buy it thinking they got a bargain.

And I don't care what any of the idiots on the news say, it's not 13% or 20% price increases here and there, most things are now almost twice what they were last year and it's only because nobody is screaming or forming angry pitchfork wielding mobs about this that companies keep feeling out how much more they can get away with, watch financial news and you'll see a lot of these companies raising prices are gleefully having record profits and I don't think that makes sense if you claim it's harder to harvest bagels from the bagel trees and the supply chain-blah-blah-blah that you'd actually see an increase in profits as opposed to in the very best scenario barely breaking even... Yeah, there are things being interrupted by supply chain issues, but just because iPhone parts are running low, doesn't mean a tomato or a cupcake should be twice what it cost last year.

We are all getting cheated because consumers have no voice and nobody is demanding answers.

edited November 2022

...I actually use their computer programme mainly to check availability of items and "clip" coupons, but frequently, "club" prices are only posted "in store" and not seen until you get there which creates more confusion.  Tags for single item and multiple item discounts are pretty much identical in appearance if you can't see the "fine print" (which was the case today as it was on teh bottom shelf)

As to price increases, one of my favourite brekkie cereals, Wheat Chex used to be one of the most expensive brands.  Today it's about 6$ for a 14 oz box which has about 4 servings (I recall the boxes being bigger back in the old days).  Same for the big biscuit shredded wheat with the minimal amount of processing and no added chemicals, sugar, or other rubbish (now about 5$ a box).  I think its a travesty that a loaf of bread today (which used to be 25¢ - 30¢) is now over 5$ even for the store brand.

ETA: 

...well wonder of wonders, just received a reply form the market chain and they are crediting me with the price difference for that purchase.  Apparently my explanation made sense, and hopefully they will change the discount pricing policy to make it less confusing.

I got these toy mice for about $2.50.  is that a good price for three festive mice.  They even have cat nip in them,

49120C6A-BC60-41B8-B747-09F2095A2696.jpeg
    1280 x 960 - 270K
    D89FDBAC-AF8A-4BDF-8C16-54C7AE2D79E6.jpeg
    1280 x 960 - 321K
    edited November 2022

kyoto kid said:

...I actually use their computer programme mainly to check availability of items and "clip" coupons, but frequently, "club" prices are only posted "in store" and not seen until you get there which creates more confusion.  Tags for single item and multiple item discounts are pretty much identical in appearance if you can't see the "fine print" (which was the case today as it was on teh bottom shelf)

As to price increases, one of my favourite brekkie cereals, Wheat Chex used to be one of the most expensive brands.  Today it's about 6$ for a 14 oz box which has about 4 servings (I recall the boxes being bigger back in the old days).  Same for the big biscuit shredded wheat with the minimal amount of processing and no added chemicals, sugar, or other rubbish (now about 5$ a box).  I think its a travesty that a loaf of bread today (which used to be 25¢ - 30¢) is now over 5$ even for the store brand.

ETA: 

...well wonder of wonders, just received a reply form the market chain and they are crediting me with the price difference for that purchase.  Apparently my explanation made sense, and hopefully they will change the discount pricing policy to make it less confusing.

You aren't imagining that Wheat Chex got smaller... it's "Shrinkflation"... Companies keep shrinking unit sizes and charging more so that it looks like there is a much smaller price increase (or none at all), while calling these ridiculously small sizes "Family Size", "Large Size" or "Mega Size" or some other nonsense... In my cabinet, one manufacturer labels "Large Size" as 10.8 oz, 12 oz and 16 oz... which sort of makes the designation meaningless. 
    Then you have products like paper towels and toilet paper where they try to totally obfuscate quantity with nonsensical statements like "10 Mega rolls equals 15 Regular", but they don't sell anything designated as "regular" so what is the reference point? 100 sheets per roll? 80? 70?... is it a reference to the competition? Can't be because the other company does the same thing... was there once a mythical "regular" vanquished by the mega size? And even the Mega rolls vary greatly in number of sheets per roll depending on where you buy them, that any meaning is meaningless. 

I doubt we'll soon see anyone deliberately trying to make advertising or sales less confusing... The point is to skirt deceptive advertising rules by making statements that are technically true, but simultaneously meaningless or confusing... most people won't spend more that a few seconds pondering a statement or ad, they read it and are "whatever"... and the manufacturer wins. 

"Cranberry juice: 100% real juice" but if you read the ingredients it's actually mostly water, and whatever the juice content, it's 90% apple juice and maybe 10% cranberry"... then you go back to the main label and notice "Cranberry Juice" in bold 300 point print is accompanied by "cocktail" in 10 point mouseprint... is it a lie? No... the labels states what it is. Just not in an obvious or convenient fashion.

You can say anything you wish in a convoluted or confusing manner, because we have no rules about clarity... In my opinion if there is a sale or an ad and it's not clear and to the point and uses convoluted statements or sayings, you are hoping to confuse me and I just shut it down and write it off as "if you can't be clear, you are hiding something and are trying cheat me one way or another"...
    It's like when you get an envelope in the mail that looks like it's from the DMV or its a check from the state and inside is an ad for a car dealership. 
    You tried to trick me into opening your advertisement... from first contact you were deceptive... why in hell would I ever trust anything you say past that point? 
    On a lot of nutritional products you see the oft abused claim of "clinically tested" but without being required to provide any proof of the potency, purity, safety or effectiveness the term is meaningless... legally a manufacturer could build a lab, staff it with college kids flunking chem, have them ask volunteers how the supplement made them feel, and even if they all said "horrible, and now I smell like sweaty goat" the manufacturer could still slap "clinically tested" or even "clinically proven" on the label because the definition is so nebulous and undefined... as long as you just say "clinically proven" and not "clinically proven to heal..." or something like that, you are fine... once you add a claim beyond "proven" or "tested" you need to back that up with scientific data or real studies... but only "tested" and "proven" just means they've been tested and proven to exist, beyond that there is nothing.

As far as using store apps, I avoid that at all cost... for a while most stores used to have price checkers, but now everyone is letting that die in favor of apps... very convenient... you can point your camera at the QR code and get the price right away... especially if you log onto the store's WiFi... but in most cases now that comes at the cost of your privacy... once you have a store app installed on you mobile device it's actively tracking your purchases and the things you might scan... but in many cases your movements throughout the store as well... do you start in dairy and make your way to fruit, or do you visit cereal next?... how long did you spend trying on pants or looking at sweatshirts?... do you browse or just go in and buy? 
    Many stores have Bluetooth monitors throughout the building registering your movements as you shop... yeah, you get to find the price of a item, or collect points, but at the cost of you becoming the product yourself... even when you don't have an app you get track to some extent.

This is an interesting article... https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/12/19/21011527/retail-tracking-apps-wifi-bluetooth-facebook-ads

There is a Futurama episode where the main character, Fry (a character from the 20th century) keeps having dreams about a brand of underwear, which his friends (from the 31st century) inform him is normal because manufacturers routinely advertise in people's dreams.

Which is funny until you realize people are actively looking into how to do this... currently it's only more or less a form of subliminal advertising...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jul/05/advertisers-targeted-dream-incubation

https://www.science.org/content/article/are-advertisers-coming-your-dreams

But with all sorts of neurological implants on the horizon to cure blindness or paralysis, the interface between electronic sensors and the brain will become a very interesting privacy subject.

Create a sensor that effectively cures blindness, opens a door for shady actors to exploit that interface in exchange for say a reduced price on the device if you agree to give it access to your neurological data, or agree to let ads into your dreams.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/brain-computer-interfaces-may-be-the-future-but-will-they-be-secure/

There's already a term for it in its current form: "Neuromarketing"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromarketing

The Wikipedia definition above is interesting, but click the one below and you'll want to take a shower afterwards...

https://uts-cibci.center/neuromarketing/

Once again this is why we can't have nice things... fix one problem with the miracles of technology, and some buttnuggets find a way to weaponize that into something sinister and gross.

So yeah... I went from ranting about cereal boxes shrinking to evil corporations stealing your dreams in the space of a couple hundred words.

Ain't I comforting?

I got a text from a scammer, I think?  They were saying some random amount was about to be debited from an account I don't have with a bank I never banked with.  Trying to figure out how to delete scam text without anyone knowing.

Sfariah said:

I got these toy mice for about $2.50.  is that a good price for three festive mice.  They even have cat nip in them,

So does the cat have to light the whole mouse to smoke the catnip, or does it act as a dispenser?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited November 2022

A Ponderable:  What do you see as you fall through the event horizon of a black hole? Conventional scientific wisdom says that from the viewpoint of someone far away watching you fall in, and because of the time distortion of the super gravity of the black hole, you appear to move slower and slower as you approach the event horizon, at which point you appear to stop moving, forever. Curious.indecision

Also, conventional scientific wisdom says that as you are falling, you, yourself, probably do not notice the event horizon crossing.  And that time would seem perfectly normal to you as you keep on falling. That is, until you look back out at the outside Universe and notice that as you were falling toward the event horizon the outside Universe was moving faster and faster and faster.  Stars zipping by, supernovas twinkling across the sky like Christmas lights, galaxies receding out of sight.surprise

My ponder causes me to suspect  that as you cross on the horizon you see the complete future history of the outside Universe, accelerating in time, infinitely accelerating, even up to the point where all the stars have died of old age, gone out even before the moment you cross the event horizon, and at that point, there is nothing to see except blackness. So, escaping from a black hole, regardless of its impossibility, would be futile, because there would be nothing to come back to. The outside Universe would have evolved past your existence!  Curiouser!surprisesurprise

Also, if you turn around and look toward the center of the black hole, would you see any light?  I don't think so.  Any light in the center wouldn't be able to reach you because space would be falling inward so quickly.indecision

So, what's the situation?  You're crossing the boundary, there is nothing to see outside, and there is nothing to see inside. There's no light above you because it's already evolved away. You're just in blackness, you're literally in a black hole.  The Universe has disappeared, the black hole is unvisible, if you're still alive you're completely and utterly alone in a degenerate Universe. Then 50 milliseconds later you spaghettify, and die.sad  (Or possibly you become a lonely disembodied spirit, in command of your own empty black hole "universe".  Kind of like Nagilum from that STNG episode.)wink 

Disclaimer:  There are(*blush*)blush, much more accurate theories than this out there, but this one was fun to ponder.smiley

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

I am wanting to go to bed, but that Coca-Cola I drank is making it a tad hard.

.@McGyver

...indeed, so true about shrinkification . The Hershey chocky  bar I was able to buy for a nickel back when I was a kid was larger than the one that  costs 1.00$ today. Same for that box of Wheat Chex as back then it was  something like 18 oz instead of 14. I remember actual 3# cans of coffee and half gallon buckets of ice cream. Now it's 28 oz for coffee and 1.5 quarts for ice cream, and the prices went up to boot as well.  Surprised a gallon of petrol isn't 57 fl oz now. though the spare tyre for a car today looks more appropriate for a Vespa scooter.

Indeed privacy is being seriously encroached upon  I rarely use my phone in the grocery mart, but they already have me like the article  that talks about them pinging your MAC addresses.  Neuro-and dream adverts, only a matter of time ii guess. which would be an entirely new kettle of fish as how personal are one's thoughts and dreams? Where would the line be drawn

[break for yet another 504 error]

Subliminal adverts have been around for a while and there was a great film that focused on them called  They Live!.  It is interesting as during the late 90s early 2000s I would have dreams of travelling that were always on Northwest Airlines.  More recently, they are now often on Amtrak.  Years ago I was on a loyalty plan with Northwest.  Not sure how that changed to Amtrak though I do get advert emails from themon occasion about their points plan.. 

Weird, bur not in a fun loving Portland OR or Austin TX way.

This discussion has been closed.