DAZ Install manager and DSON Importer

demetrioucademetriouca Posts: 15
edited November 2022 in Poser Discussion

Can someone please tell me the difference between [DAZ Install manager and DSON Importer] the above. I have just reinstalled my copy of Poser 12 (my Library was a mess and I'm trying to fix it), I downloaded the Included Content that came with the program and now am trying to upload the content that I have purchased from DAZ 3d.  Thank you.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Install manager is for installing content, from previously download package or downloading and isntalling one step. The DSON Importer is for importing supported  installed DSON (.duf) files into Poser, but Poser 12 does not support the Python version it was written in and so it will not work.

• The DAZ Install Manager is for the DAZ Studio software, not Poser. Forget about it. Doesn't work in/with Poser and never has. They are very different software, as I would have expected most people in the community to know by now. Though there are of course some sly trolls who continually pretend not to know the difference, in order to try to confuse newbies on forums.  Possibly you've been confused by one of those.

Anyway, Poser 11 + a copy of old DSON plugin is what you need to easily import DAZ Genesis 1 & 2 figures to Poser 11. Some people can also get G3 and G8 into Poser 11 via DSON, but they make it look like a lot of work and I've never tried it. There may also be other routes to import, but they involve some technical savvy.

You can even save a DSON G1 or G2 import in Poser 11 and then open it in Poser 12, but the figure no longer works correctly. I'm guessing the figure needs to 'see' the DSON plugin, which doesn't exist for Poser 12 (and never will).

To have the Poser 11 Library see what DAZ items can be imported by DSON, simply point the Library to the DAZ Studio runtime. So far as I recall, if it can't be imported then it won't show up in the DAZ folders.

• Oh, wow!  I am relatively new to Poser (I user Poser 12). Am I right in saying that it doesn't look like I should bother in using the DAZ figures  for now?  That they are problematic... and take some "technical savvy?"

• Martirilla said:

The DAZ Install Manager is for the DAZ Studio software, not Poser. Forget about it. Doesn't work in/with Poser and never has. They are very different software, as I would have expected most people in the community to know by now. Though there are of course some sly trolls who continually pretend not to know the difference, in order to try to confuse newbies on forums.  Possibly you've been confused by one of those.

Completel nonsense. Install Manager can install Poser-format content for use in Poser, you just have to add the destination folder (e.g. My Daz 3D Library by default) as an external runtime in Poser.

Anyway, Poser 11 + a copy of old DSON plugin is what you need to easily import DAZ Genesis 1 & 2 figures to Poser 11. Some people can also get G3 and G8 into Poser 11 via DSON, but they make it look like a lot of work and I've never tried it. There may also be other routes to import, but they involve some technical savvy.

You can even save a DSON G1 or G2 import in Poser 11 and then open it in Poser 12, but the figure no longer works correctly. I'm guessing the figure needs to 'see' the DSON plugin, which doesn't exist for Poser 12 (and never will).

To have the Poser 11 Library see what DAZ items can be imported by DSON, simply point the Library to the DAZ Studio runtime. So far as I recall, if it can't be imported then it won't show up in the DAZ folders.

• demetriouca said:

Oh, wow!  I am relatively new to Poser (I user Poser 12). Am I right in saying that it doesn't look like I should bother in using the DAZ figures  for now?  That they are problematic... and take some "technical savvy?"

It would be possible to export the Gensis 1 and 2 figures from Poser in CR2 format, but that is fiddly and would lose some features 9such as morph following - though Poser does now have its own version of that). Older cintent (e.g. Victoria/Michael 4 and older) is already in Poser native format.