DAZ Studio reinstall crashing on OpenCL driver exception.

Daywalker DesignsDaywalker Designs Posts: 3,586

I was having issues with my PC so I reset it, which required me to reinstall the latest DAZ Studio version and now I'm not able to load it at all. The error is [OpenCL driver exception.] as listed in the title.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Crashing on launch would be new, but the current nVidia drivers do have OpenCL issues - try rolling back to 517 if you can (they are not sufficient for systems with 4090s, or you may have games that require a newer driver). New drivers with the OpenCL issue resolved are expected in the middle of the week.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Crashing on launch would be new, but the current nVidia drivers do have OpenCL issues - try rolling back to 517 if you can (they are not sufficient for systems with 4090s, or you may have games that require a newer driver). New drivers with the OpenCL issue resolved are expected in the middle of the week.

517 didn't seem to help. 

• Got it to work by deleting the opencl.dll that was in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Need to see if there is another one anywhere.
  • Deleting .dll files is not a good diea, it's certainly not something to suggest to others.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Deleting .dll files is not a good diea, it's certainly not something to suggest to others.

True, but there were multiple versions with different dates that were causing a conflict.  

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited November 2022

Daywalker Designs said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Crashing on launch would be new, but the current nVidia drivers do have OpenCL issues - try rolling back to 517 if you can (they are not sufficient for systems with 4090s, or you may have games that require a newer driver). New drivers with the OpenCL issue resolved are expected in the middle of the week.

517 didn't seem to help. 

Did you do a custom install and check k the box for a fresh install? If you do an Express install, it will not replace older drivers, and you still have the newer drivers installed. The install will always see the more recent driver and will not install over newer drivers.

2022-11-13 (3).png
    796 x 431 - 182K
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • AgitatedRiot said:

Daywalker Designs said:

Richard Haseltine said:

517 didn't seem to help. 

Did you do a custom install and check k the box for a fresh install? If you do an Express install, it will not replace older drivers, and you still have the newer drivers installed. The install will always see the more recent driver and will not install over newer drivers.

I did, yes. 

• Another way to do this is to go to the device manager, uninstall there, and restart. Then windows will install the default driver. Then install the Nvidia drivers.

2022-11-13 (4).png
    780 x 563 - 73K
  • AgitatedRiot said:

Another way to do this is to go to the device manager, uninstall there, and restart. Then windows will install the default driver. Then install the Nvidia drivers.

The initial crashing issue was due to a bad OpenCL dll, but I've since had it start crashing with an exception error in one of the QT libraries.