Material save

Hey Daz, you know that snappy new feature in 4.20+ where it takes at least two ---- years ---- to save a material preset?

Yeah. Don't do that anymore.

:)

Comments

• This is not new, but seems to vary from system to system.

• Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 207
    edited December 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

This is not new, but seems to vary from system to system.

I was just being a smartass, which you know I will do. ;)

After reading through some other threads on this issue and running my own tests, it is obvious that postgres is the culprit.  I have my biases against postgres going back decades, so be aware of that but those biases are based on experience.  If I save a material preset to say, my desktop instead of a mapped folder, it is practically instantaneous.   If I save it to a mapped folder, it takes up to five minutes.  I can get up, go and make coffee, use the bathroom, and come back before it finishes saving a single preset -- but only if the preset is new.  If overwrite that same preset later after making changes, it is nearly instantaneous.

I tried turning off the CMS (Stop CMS in the hamburger menu) and the save process took perhaps 10 seconds.  However, if I wish to load any of the materials, I have to turn CMS back on of course.  This is yet another instance of Daz's proclivities adding some little harrassment to my workflow.  This was not an issue at all for me until 4.20.  I have made no changes at all to my hardware.  There are no new plugins.  Nothing at all.  

I'm going to make a support request but I'm going to make it here because it hasn't a snowball's chance, and so forth.  For the love of humanity, for the sake of sanity, for Texas and Miss Lilly, please please please migrate Daz to a more stable database engine.  I know this is like a heart transplant, so I don't think it will ever happen.  But it should.  It should.

Thanks Richard for all of the clear headed responses you make on this Forum every day.  You are a gem.

UPDATE: If I use the "Smart" option for turning off the CMS, then I am able to load the assets.

Post edited by Causam3D on