IRAY viewport render causing CPU / GPU temps to soar and crash DAZ Studio after new NVIDIA drivers?

HI all, I updated to the latest NVIDIA GPU drivers today (using RTX 3090, and updated to the latest Studio and Game Ready drivers). Now, when I use DAZ, if I switch to IRAY rendering mode in the viewport (as opposed to Filament or any of the other rendering modes) my CPU and GPU temps will quickly rise, and upon reaching around 90+ CPU temperature, DAZ STudio crashes, and then the temps return to normal). Is anyone else experiencing this? I feel like the latest NVIDIA driver updates did something to break IRAY render viewport mode in DAZ.  Let me know if you need any more info, but keen to hear if anyone else experiencing this. Thanks!  

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

I updated to the latest NVIDIA GPU drivers [...] using RTX 3090, and updated to the latest Studio and Game Ready drivers

1/ It's impossible to install two different drivers. So... which one did you install ?

2/ NEVER EVER constantly jump on new drivers like it was suddenly gonna make your work better. Avoid waves of issues, using older and thoroughly tested drivers.

3/ So far the only (game ready) driver that still works perfectly fine on a 3090, with Iray and especially with dForce is 517.48 :

https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/517.48/517.48-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

Use this. And consider that most of the updates will now be for the RTX 40 series. They may not improve the previous series much anymore. Download them if you really want to. But wait at least a month or two after a driver update is released before upgrading.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Hi and thanks for the info. I have installed that driver you suggested, and realised that my issue has nothing to do with the NVIDIA driver afterall (as it still happening, even with the driver you supplied). The problem seems to be that when I'm on IRAY preview mode in the viewport, my CPU pretty quickly gets hot and reaches 90 degrees + and this crashes DAZ Studio for me. This has only just started happening, after using my PC for well over a year with DAZ Studio. If I uncheck 'CPU' under the Render Settings / Advanced tabs for Interactive and Photoreal mode (leaving only the GPU checked) then my system behaves fine, and nothing overheats. I have a Ryzen 5950 cpu with Kraken Watercooler, and have never had CPU overheats before (my system runs super cool always). So it looks like IRAY for some reason has just started pushing my CPU to the max when it is enabled along with the GPU for IRAY preview. Also of note, this is occurring with just one Genesis * character in my viewport - nothing big or complex. And my Render Settings have not changed, I've been using the same render settings for over a year now. Does anyone else's CPU suddenly overheat due to IRAY preview in viewport? Thanks all!

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Sounds like you are having issues with your AIO.

If yours isn't keeping you CPU cooled, I would look into whats causing that before it heat damages your CPU.

I don't run the kraken, but I do run an MSI AIO.

Mine has the pump in the radiator to help prevent this sort of thing.Thats is why I chose this model.

The kraken's water pump is located on top of the the cpu heat exchanger.

So care must be taken in how the radiator is positioned so the pump isn't starved and runs dry.

Running any water pump dry for extended periods of time will damage it.

also check that the heat exchanger is installed correctly on the CPU and the thermal paste is applied correctly.

---

Iray on CPU is a good way to increase CPU load to test something like this, but any CPU intensive load will do.

Benchmarking software will work also.

---

note AIO's aren't meant as a long term cooling solution.More for short term (a few years at best).

The large copper block and fan setups are much more reliable , just as efficient at cooling at factory clock speeds, and can outlast the rest of the system.

I plan to swap mine out (just over a year old AIO )with a Noctua or similar air cooler.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,113

I've had a Noctua NH-U12S for well over 7 years on an Intel I7 5930K 6-core; in the early, cpu only, Iray renders it was not unususl to run all six cores at 99+% for several hours. I never heard the cpu fan and the temperature never exceeded 70 degrees Centigrade. This is, of course, in a well-ventlated case - an Antec V3-1200; three 120 mm intake fans in front of the three 3-drive drive bays, two 120 mm exhaust fans in the back of the case, and a 270 mm exhaust fan on the top of the case.

I now have a 980 TI - permanently relegated to just driving the monitors; a 1080 TI; and a 3060. These all stay quite acceptbly cool through long renders with custom fan profiles - and very little noise.

Wow, 7 years. Hard to go wrong with the simplicity of a big block of copper, a copper tube, and a fan or 2.

These days you can get "tower" air coolers that have RGB lighting and even small LCD displays attached to them.

btw,,,love my Enthoo 719 case. It's large enough to house a full ATX and a micro ATX system at the same time with separate power supplies :)

I can't imagine a day when this case won't do everything I need.

• Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I agree it might sound like the CPU isn't being cooled sufficiently, but it actually is. It's only with DAZ / IRAY that this sudden overheating occurs. In all other programs (including Premier video editing 4K footage for example) the CPU stays perfectly cool, as it always has. The problem specifically occurs with DAZ / IRAY only. It's like DAZ Iray pushes the CPU beyond it's limits for some reason, with no set levels. Very strange as it has never happened before. The PC and watercooler are working perfectly, my PC is only about a year and a half old and in great condition. Built it myself. Big Lian Li full ATX case with lots of fans on push / pull configuration, very well ventilated. As I said, this thing NEVER overheats, (and still doesn't) except with DAZ Iray viewport render preview. I've even turned off  'Render Quality Enable' in case there was infinite render quality loop happening but didn't help.

edited November 2022

I've not seen this myself, but if you've got something like CPUID HWMonitor or something else that can record temps it would be good start.

If you have found a bug like this it would be good to catch it early.

Record the Studio version you are using , the GPU driver version, and a temperature log and post them  in the beta test forum so others can help look for the issue

Also submit a bug report so the devs know about it.

edit:typos

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • ok will do thanks for the feedback :-)

edited November 2022

OK, I just did a little bit of testing.

I can reproduce this after all.

I had forgotten that I used MSI Afterburner to undervolt my CPU, which was masking the issue.

If I reset the voltage to 100%:

Tested the current beta with an empty scene.

With CPU use disabled in iray preview , my CPU stays around 48C.

With CPU use active in iray preview I can run my CPU temp up to 91C which sets off the alarms.

If I allow it to sit for a few minutes, It hits 100C and it hits the thermal shutdown.

---

Still not sure if this is Daz Studio, the GPU driver, or a recent Windows 10 update that would cause this.

I did get a cumulative update a few days ago that didn't get to opt-out from. It was installing when I started my PC.

---

Rendering a rather light scene with the CPU use disabled still runs my CPU temps up to around 70C, which isn't really that high. Video games will achieve that temp also.

---

GPU hardware acceleration is disabled in the Windows 10 settings.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,113

I did forget to mention that I'm still on Windows 7 until the end of this month, and that I'm running stock voltages. I have used MSI Afterburner to set custom fan profiles on the GPUs.

Not only have I been running this box for over seven years, my power-on hours for my 500 GB SSD C drive are 67,599 - or 7 years, 261 days, and 15 hours. I only shut the system down to swap drives or clean air filters - or in event of severe storms - its on an APC ups. Power on count is 128 (numbers from CrystalDiskInfo).

• vitomorantzvitomorantz Posts: 10
    edited November 2022

Thanks for the info, that sounds like exactly what is happening to me. Now that you mention it, I did recently enable XMP mode in my AMD bios to enable high speed mode on my DDR4 3600mhz RAM. Without XMP mode, the RAM does not run at it's full speed. But based on what you're saying, I'm willing to bet that the XMP mode has affected the CPU limits to some degree as well, causing the recent overheats. Many thanks, that sounds like the cause for sure. To resolve the issue I think I will just leave CPU unchecked in the DAZ render settings, since GPU render is more than adequate for me as I'm using an RTX3090 (I have read in some threads that DAZ actually renders faster if you leave CPU unchecked? Not sure how true that is, you would think with a CPU like RYZEN 5950 that it should be faster using both CPU and GPU). Anyway, I will disable the XMP mode in my AMD Bios temporarily to confirm whether that was the cause. Thanks so much for the feedback, really appreciate it!

Post edited by vitomorantz on

I've got the day off work, so I've been doing some more testing.

I've found a solution.

In my case.

I had to switch power plans(Windows Power Options) from AMD Ryzen High Performance to AMD Ryzen Balanced to keep the thermals within acceptable parameters.

This will throttle all cores from a max frequency of 4.5-4.7Ghz to 3.9-4.0Ghz.

Base clock is 3.9Ghz for my Ryzen 7 3800xt, so the Balanced plan is keeping the core clocks closer to base.

I had assumed a simple BIOS under volt on my cpu would have restricted any "auto overclock".

I must have missed something somewhere, or I didn't understand the power option.

Right now, I'm going with, "I didn't understand the power plan".

Seems the high performance settings disable thermal throttling completely and allow the CPU to operate at unsafe thermal levels.

Not sure yet, why it ran for so long without issues.

Maybe I wasn't letting the iray preview run long enough for the problem to manifest itself.

tl;dr POBKAC (Problem Occurs Between Keyboard And Chair.)