Aug 2015 New User Contest (WIP-THREAD)

123457»

Comments

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Good job Thunderchief! And you got the wet pool sides too. As for the things you didn't have time to add, you can always release an "extended director's cut" version later, as is so popular in showbiz nowadays ;)

• Thanks for the kind words.  Yes it was done using the method I mentioned above, although after I did it I occured to me that I could probably have got the same effect using a texture mask on the opacity cut channel. 

lol a "Directors Cut", I will prpbably keep working on it a bit. I'd still like to get the damp concrete look right.

Cheers

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited August 2015

Thunderchief: I'm very impressed with your work on the wet concrete. I've flagged this thread so I can refer to it when I need a similar effect.

My only suggestions would be to color the bikini bottom on the woman diving into the pool (red/scarlett would be nice). The white bottom washes out and she looks nude.

The second suggestion is to add more shine to the hair of the girl climbing out of the pool. It doesn't look particularly wet to me.

----------------

You know, the more I look at this, the more I'm amazed at what you've gotten out of Daz. It really looks so rich and complete that I would have guessed it was done in Bryce or Vue.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    Linwelly said:

Hi Scavenger, I'm sure it does, but you have to keep in mind that we don't know the story you are thinking about, and I for one don't know the video you might refer to. So your render needs to be self telling the story otherwize it will be just confusing.

I'll just have to hope the visual cues in the final version are enough :)

(pointing out the cues defeats the purpose)

I appreciate the comments.

-----------------------

Thunderchief. that pool scene is just visually stunning!

• IsazformsIsazforms Posts: 210

This is my second version. I really need the lamp in scene. Its a contrast for a dramatic moment. She looks her memories are gone.

Song: Memories from musical cats

Software: DAZ 4.8 Iradium. GIMP post work.

Memories 4.png
    1024 x 902 - 1M

That's a big improvement Isazforms. It's much more focused now.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,545

We're coming close to the closing, it's time to post your entries in the entries thread if you haven't done so.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,115

When is the close time?I've got my last one still rendering.It's at 11 hours and ~12% converged.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,545

August 31st 2015 23:59:59 DAZ local time

• Thunderchief: I'm very impressed with your work on the wet concrete. I've flagged this thread so I can refer to it when I need a similar effect.

My only suggestions would be to color the bikini bottom on the woman diving into the pool (red/scarlett would be nice). The white bottom washes out and she looks nude.

The second suggestion is to add more shine to the hair of the girl climbing out of the pool. It doesn't look particularly wet to me.

----------------

You know, the more I look at this, the more I'm amazed at what you've gotten out of Daz. It really looks so rich and complete that I would have guessed it was done in Bryce or Vue.

Thanks for the kind words, I see your point about the bikini bottoms, I'd not noticed that, obviously I know there is something there so I didn't see it. Too late for the entry now though.

I tried really hard to get the hair shiny and wet looking, I just couldn't seem to get it.  If I render the hair in different light, it does look shiny but in this shot for some reason it always looks Matt. 

A lot of credit must go to the content creators, if you start with stuff that looks good, it goes a long way.

cheers.

• KittiKitti Posts: 77

I know I'm pushing it close to the deadline - yikes where did the month go!? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Title: Isle of Skye

Song: Élan by Nightwish

Isle_of_Skye_by_kittisiubhan.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 778K
  • Kitti said:

I know I'm pushing it close to the deadline - yikes where did the month go!? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Title: Isle of Skye

Song: Élan by Nightwish

I like this, I would say that it seems like the focus point is the hand closest to the camera, where as traditionally the focus point should be the eyes of the model. Unless there is something specific about the hand you want to draw attention to?

Cheers.

This one is taking ages to render, so I stopped it early.After 14 hours it was at 5121 iterations and 12% convergence.The final render came out at 3.79 in tif format, so I had to reduce it twice in jpg format to get under the 2MB size limit.The reductions and the reformat to jpg changed the quality of the image a lot.We are running short on time to finish, so this will most likely be the entry.

This one probably won't make much sense, but here we go.

Scorpions - "When You Came Into My Life"

song contest final_reduced.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 819K
  • KittiKitti Posts: 77
    icecrmn said:

This one is taking ages to render, so I stopped it early.After 14 hours it was at 5121 iterations and 12% convergence.The final render came out at 3.79 in tif format, so I had to reduce it twice in jpg format to get under the 2MB size limit.The reductions and the reformat to jpg changed the quality of the image a lot.We are running short on time to finish, so this will most likely be the entry.

Omigosh that song brings back so many memories...

I love your models - they're beautiful but they look like realistic women. I think you nailed the crossed legs perfectly - that's a tough pose to get right. I have a couple old scene files I've given up on because the crossed legs just wasn't happening. Cheers!

Kitti said:
    icecrmn said:

Omigosh that song brings back so many memories...

I love your models - they're beautiful but they look like realistic women. I think you nailed the crossed legs perfectly - that's a tough pose to get right. I have a couple old scene files I've given up on because the crossed legs just wasn't happening. Cheers!

Thank you :)

• icermn: Very nice job. I know what you mean about reducing the image and losing quality. Nevertheless, it's a great image and it's very solid. The lighting is very impressive.

• You'll see a few small changes between this and my final submission. Unfortunately, I had to stop the render at about 23 hours. I think another day would have done wonders for those glass spheres (I really need to invest in a new computer to cut down my render times). Also, since I was up against the wire, I added adjusted the fStop and the ISO (about 2.2 and 4500, respectively). I just couldn't risk a swarm of fireflies ruining the image. I actually prefer the darker version from before, but I think this is for the best.

Also, I cropped the image for the contest entry -- this seems like it's more about the ceiling and the room rather than who is in it.

What_the_Doormouse_Said.jpg
    900 x 1483 - 517K

icermn: Very nice job. I know what you mean about reducing the image and losing quality. Nevertheless, it's a great image and it's very solid. The lighting is very impressive.

Thank you

Good luck to everyone in the contest.There are some very good renders entered.

icecrmn said:

Good luck to everyone in the contest.There are some very good renders entered.

I agree with that.

No matter the outcome though, with everything I've learned from my participation here I already feel like a winner. I hope more feel the same. I'd say this is a contest with no losers.

Harken !!!

Behold.....

The Gods have forgotten us!!
    Join with me my n00bian brothers and sisters.
    Join me, and we shall conqour the world and all it's glory shall be ours!!

Together we will forge an Empire!!!!111!!!1!

<insert evil overlord laugh here>

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    icecrmn said:

Harken !!!

Behold.....

The Gods have forgotten us!!
    Join with me my n00bian brothers and sisters.
    Join me, and we shall conqour the world and all it's glory shall be ours!!

Together we will forge an Empire!!!!111!!!1!

<insert evil overlord laugh here>

Forgotten? Nay, the gods have chosen to turn their back on us assuming we will fall.

You speak as a true leader, I will join you brother and once forged our empire will rival that of Olympus.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

Ha! We will not stop with Olympus, we will reach for the stars! We go and invade the RRRR contest, nobody can stop us!

Totte you will not get rid of us thus easy!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

You could also go and Play in the September New User Contest  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/61904/sept-2015-new-user-contest-wip-thread#latest

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    Chohole said:

You could also go and Play in the September New User Contest  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/61904/sept-2015-new-user-contest-wip-thread#latest

Brilliant idea Chohole, I just wonder how that has eloped me for 4 days...