UV sets for strand-based hair

When you apply a texture to one of the colours in the Iray Blended Dual Lobe Hair Shader, the UV coordinates used are those of the object that the hair is attached to, which allows you to have the hair color vary over the surface as well as along the length of the hair.

What I'm wanting is to get access to the same UV information using the SDK, but I can't see how to get it. I can see in the Shader Mixer that there is a "Coordinate Source" brick selecting a "Texture Space" of 1, which sounds like what I need, but I don't know what this corresponds to in the SDK API.

I have tried calling getNumUVSets on the geometry of the hair object, but there is only one UV set returned and it is the one that goes from the root to the tip of each hair.

Comments

• This is not in the 4.5+ SDK. There has been some work on DzFacetMesh which will expose its features to script, from whence a plug-in could call it via QMetaObject, though it isn't available just yet.

• Richard Haseltine said:

This is not in the 4.5+ SDK. There has been some work on DzFacetMesh which will expose its features to script, from whence a plug-in could call it via QMetaObject, though it isn't available just yet.

Thanks, I shall keep an eye on the release notes. Is there a new version of the SDK planned at some point? 

• I don't think there is any plan to update the SDK before the next major version, but I am not certain on that. Certainly the plan is to keep the 4.5 SDK working, even if new features are added on top.