In The Market For A New PC

I'm currently in the market for a new PC and was wondering if I could get some opinions from any tech-smart people here. I've been saving up and am not far from meeting my goals. I want to know if this particular computer would be a good fit for DAZ:

https://www.amazon.com/Skytech-Prism-Gaming-Computer-Desktop/dp/B09PFLX26Z/ref=sr_1_11?crid=DFH1HSHPVZER&keywords=rtx%2B3080%2Bsystem&qid=1667854822&sprefix=RTX3080%2Bsystem%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-11&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.17f26c18-b61b-4ce9-8a28-de351f41cffb&th=1

I'm not that smart with computers, but I'm looking for something that can turn out 3D renders like nobody's business. Gaming should be its secondary priority.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Needs minimum 32GB's of RAM

• It comes with a DDR4 SDRAM. Is that good or bad?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

daltonreut said:

It comes with a DDR4 SDRAM. Is that good or bad?

It's fine 

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

** 12GB VRAM ? You want a brand new machine to enjoy Daz / Iray fully ? That won't be enough.

** RAM : 16 GB RAM... double that ! You can find excellent DDR5 Mother Boards and RAM for a good price now. Don't buy the precedent generation of DDR now you'll regret it soon. What's the use of buying latest RTX if you get only a portion of its power. Never forget that everything has to go through the Mother Board.

** Windows 10 Home... Why leaving in the past already with a new computer. Windows 11 Pro is what you want. And don't go for home versions...

** 850W for the Power Supply ? If you change your mind for a 3090 RTX... well it'll be just enough. I'd advise 1000W.

** 802.11AC Wi-Fi : useless. motherboards with that option are a bit more expensive. Do you really want a slow Wifi when you might have a fast fiber at home ? Plug your desktop computer to the network with a cable. Keep slow wifi for mobile devices that don't have an RJ45 slot.

** 1 Year Warranty on Parts and Labor : Those things are bullshit. You send Amazon something that eventually goes wrong ? > They send it to the manufacturer. Cut out the middle-man it you're ever unlucky enough to have an issue, send straight to the manufacturer. They often send a delivery guy to your house (UPS, etc.) to grab the material and send it back to you fixed for 0$. No expense as the Manufacturer's warranty are way over 1 year, and is included in the product you buy. Buy parts, register them on each manufacturer's official website. If you have an issue, the manufacturer is the only one able to fix it, not your retailor, who takes that so called "warranty" money for no other reason than to fool the gullibles.

---------

Config I'd advise in this range of price :

CPU : i9-12900K 16 cores: 500$ (You want to work in 3D ? Then go for Intel. They remain the King of x64 intensive operations (dForce simulation, Marvelous Designer simulation, ZBrush sculpting, etc.). i9-12900K or KS is more than 90% faster than your choice for OC 64-core speed operations.

MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690-A DDR5 : 260$

RAM : 32GB of RAM (2x16GB) Corsair DDR5 CL36 : 170$

Graphic Card : ASUS TUF NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 32GB VRAM: 1300$

Tower Case : Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 RGB ATX : 105$

CPU Cooler : ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 130$

Power Supply : CORSAIR RMx Series RM1000x 80+ Gold : 140$

Windows 11 Pro : you can get so cheap keys that I wouldn't even count that in the price.

Count about 140$ (that's the price where I live) if you want a shop to mount the parts for you. And a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD for 84$ if that's what you need.

TOTAL PRICE : 2830$ for a HUGEly better config.

Your whole system in DDR5, 32GB of RAM, an i9-12900K 16 cores, an RTX 3090 24GB and a 1000W power supply. Better in every way and 10 bucks cheaper (pure coincidence).

Morality : buying all made computers you will always get f...cked. In this kind of all-in-one products, prices are inflated with bullshit parts. Instead, DIY : choose parts. Doing so will cut the cost down of a lot of bucks that you can invest in better components. A PC is not a gaming console, you gotta get your hands dirty a bit in the hardware to get the best quality-price ratio.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X/4118vs4085

P.S : I'd strongly advise you to take a small SSD for Windows (256GB should be enough, more if you can afford it). You could always take a big one and create a partition. But it's preferable to have the Operating System alone on a drive. This will make your OS faster as the main SSD drive will be used used only when you start apps, to manage the pagefile.sys, etc.

Then you put the rest of your working data on another NTFS HDD or SSD drive (SSD for Daz makes a tremendous difference). If anything goes wrong ? Put Windows on a USB key with Rufus (now officialized by Microsoft as it's even in their Store). And in 15 minutes your 256GB is formatted and Windows installed fresh. You really don't want to geopardize your personal data by making it share the same storage as Windows' Boot Drive.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Before I came back to check on the thread, I did make another PC on a different website. I'll share what I made, just in case it's a good build.

PC specs:

PHANTEKS P400A
    Chassis Color: White
    NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 TI
    AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
    ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
    64GB META RGB DDR4 3600MHz (2x32GB)
    DEEPCOOL CASTLE 360EX
    EVGA 1000W
    Default Case Fans
    $0.00
    No Chassis Lighting
    $0.00
    No Selection
    Microsoft Windows 11 Home
    2TB META M.2
    2TB META M.2
    2TB META 2.5" SSD
    1TB META 2.5" SSD
    2TB Seagate Barracuda Desktop HDD
    No Selection
    Warranty
    Warranty: 1-Year Warranty

Depending on how this is received, I'll make one like hansolocambo suggested.