4090 : Ram & VRam usage

asimovhasimovh Posts: 6

Hi,

I have a 4090 graphics card with 24go vram, my computer have 16go ram.

I have a simple scene with just one HD character Genesis 8.1 Female

When I renderer the scene with Max Samples set to 50, Max Time set to 5, Pixel size set to 300x500, Daz takes a lot of time...

Before the step Iray..., the step Rendering image is very very long.. All the memory of my pc is used but not the vram...

I was expecting an instant low quality rendering..

How to force Daz to use the memory of my graphics card and not my computer ?

Thanks you :)

txt
txt
log.txt
Post edited by asimovh on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

You need more RAM than you have VRAM.

With a 24 GB card I would think you should have at least 64 GB RAM.

• I was just thinking about that. 64go ? 48go is acceptable ? 

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388
    edited November 2022

I recall reading a suggestion that 3 to 4 times your VRAM is the optimal amount, hence 64gb is closer to that suggestion. 

Assuming your motherboard supports dual-channel memory then, optimally, you should add pairs of sticks eg 2x32gb. An odd number (3x16gb) won't take advantage of dual-channel mode - plus I don't recall seeing 3 stick kits (all sticks should be identical). That said, 3x16gb is still significantly faster than using the paging file as backup ram.

If I was you, I'd stick with 2x32gb - you can then buy another pair further down the road if needed. I'd not skimp on ram with such a GPU!

Post edited by Frinkky on
  • I currently have 2x8gb on my asus gaming b550 plus motherboard, I can buy 2x32gb, I have a total of 4 slots. My motherboard supports dual-channel.

Thanks you all for your answers

• Maybe check the render subd level of your character in the parameter pane.

I have seen HD characer which are set to subd 5. This is very high and cosumes alot of ram, vram and takes forever to initialize before the rendering starts.

Another note: From time to time users post, that for an unkonwn reason it happens, that loading a scene always sets a character to subd 5 even though the user set it to another value (I had this issue as well in two scenes yet without ever been able to find the root cause). If this happens, you need to set the subd level of the affected character each time you load such a "broken" scene.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

felis said:

With a 24 GB card I would think you should have at least 64 GB RAM.

"I would think" ... from what experience ?

32GB of RAM : On my 4 screens I have all day long an average of 30 Firefox tabs openend + 3DS Max + ZBrush + Blender + Photoshop + Daz, and sometimes Marvelous Designer. I'm watching a movie or TV on one of the screens. Doing my irl daily 3D job. And I never once felt the slightest slow down with my computer.

"At least" 64 ... come one ;) The more the merrier but it's not yet necessary. Except if you work on Avatar 2 maybe ?

bruno_m99 the step Rendering image is very very long

1/ Have you only ticked only CUDA 0 in Render Settings Advanced ? And unticked CPU ?

2/ If you graphic card is from a recent computer, did you re-install Windows ? Or do you use the old Windows with your new hardware ? 'cos 16GB of RAM with an RTX 4090.... doesn't feel like a really well balanced rig O.o. I wouldn't advise 64GB as I'm in a very line of work and 32GB is way enough. But 32GB "at least" let's say, is definitely the standard.

3/ is your motherboard as recent as your graphic card ? Or do you used an old computer with some slow parts, and you plugged a 4090 in there ?

Anyway : I have "only" a 3090. My i9-12900K is surrounded by only DDR5 hardware and I can tell you that it works damn f...cking well. So there's no reason for your 4090 to stutter... except if you don't configure Daz properly, or if the rest of your rig is too old to let the GPU express its capacities.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • The potential issue is that you need enough system memory for the application, the scene data, and the Iray-ready version oif the scene data. The last can be as big as the memory of the GPU, the middle one is likely to be related to that (scenes have things like modifiers that the renderer doesn't need, but don't usually use the full mesh or image resolution so there is not a one-to-one match). People have found that total system RAM used can be two or more times the video RAM for a scene that maxes out the card, hence the suggestion of at least 64GB for a 24GB card - if the user expects to fully use the card's memory on occasion.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Richard Haseltine said:

The potential issue is that you need enough system memory for the application, the scene data, and the Iray-ready version oif the scene data. The last can be as big as the memory of the GPU, the middle one is likely to be related to that (scenes have things like modifiers that the renderer doesn't need, but don't usually use the full mesh or image resolution so there is not a one-to-one match). People have found that total system RAM used can be two or more times the video RAM for a scene that maxes out the card, hence the suggestion of at least 64GB for a 24GB card - if the user expects to fully use the card's memory on occasion.

And before anyone comes out with running out of 24GB's without using as much RAM, the 2-3 times the amount of RAM is with the default Iray compression settings and around HD or 1920x1200 render size.

If one effectively disables Iray compression and renders 4K or 8K images, the ratio is probably smaller.

• sjg_b28299fd86sjg_b28299fd86 Posts: 35
    edited November 2022

I looked at the attached log file and the first 2 lines take 25 seconds!

2022-11-05 13:28:00.179 [INFO] :: Rendering image
    2022-11-05 13:28:25.402 Iray (Scene Update) : Updating LPE labels

In my log file for a render I have lots of lines like this showing up between "Rendering image" and "Updating LPE labels" ......   2022-11-07 09:45:52.204 Iray [INFO] - IMAGE:IO ::   1.0   IMAGE  io   info : Loading image "D:\daz\MyDazConnectLibrary\data\cloud\1_33787\runtime\textures\stonemason\tvs\tvs_picture03_color.png", no selector, pixel type "Rgba", 594x1024x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.

This stuff is loading off an SSD drive and the time between "Rendering image" and "Updating LPE labels" only takes 1.5 seconds for a similar render. 

Maybe a hard drive issue?  Not sure why your log file does not have "Loading Image" lines.

Post edited by sjg_b28299fd86 on
  • sjgarde_b28299fd86 said:

I looked at the attached log file and the first 2 lines take 25 seconds!

2022-11-05 13:28:00.179 [INFO] :: Rendering image
    2022-11-05 13:28:25.402 Iray (Scene Update) : Updating LPE labels

In my log file for a render I have lots of lines like this showing up between "Rendering image" and "Updating LPE labels" ......   2022-11-07 09:45:52.204 Iray [INFO] - IMAGE:IO ::   1.0   IMAGE  io   info : Loading image "D:\daz\MyDazConnectLibrary\data\cloud\1_33787\runtime\textures\stonemason\tvs\tvs_picture03_color.png", no selector, pixel type "Rgba", 594x1024x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.

This stuff is loading off an SSD drive and the time between "Rendering image" and "Updating LPE labels" only takes 1.5 seconds for a similar render. 

Maybe a hard drive issue?  Not sure why your log file does not have "Loading Image" lines.

I agree, for what it seems it doesn;t even take a second to render the 50 iterations, but a lot of time to load them. I have verything on HDD and usually takes around 1 minute to load 2 Genesis3, or Genesis 8 Figures with an environment. You should check the health of your drive and maybe have a backup of your scenes or important presets. 

As for the Ram I think 64GB is also the way to go, I have 40GB (used to have 32, 4x8 but one stick died and only could get a 16Gb) So far I've loaded a scene that consumes up to 20GB of Vram and the whole 40GB of RAM, so for not having it falling back to CPU or compromise your system I think 48( 2x16 2x8, 1x32 1x16 ) or above would be right.