Toenails deformed

Hi all,

For an unknown reason, the toenails on one of my G8.1 characters looks horribly deformed.

Any idea what causes this ? When I select my character and take a look at the 'currently used' section, there are no morphs related to feet/nails loaded, 'show hidden properties' is turned on.

tnx!

feet.jpg
1959 x 1041 - 666K

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

the toenails on "one" of my G8.1 characters

Does "on one of my G8.1 characters" means that if you load a default G8.1, toenails look fine ? 

If it's only for that specific character : which texture is applied ? This could be a (poorly made) displacement map from the skin you're using. Check the Toenails shader, remove normal map, bump, and especially Displacement map (click on the texture and choose "none"). See if it still renders this way.

If it does, try to apply the Genesis 8.1 default shader, to see if it renders also like that. Posting both a Wire Texture Shaded screenshot + the Iray render would have given more info about this potential explanation.

----

If this happens on the default G8.1 with default shader applied, it could mean that you accidentally saved the base figure with a morph applied. Which means the .dsf of Genesis 8.1 is not the original anymore.

Quit Daz fully. Start Daz Install Manager (or DazCentral ?) and uninstall Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials. This will get rid of the potentially corrupted Genesis8Female.dsf.

Resintall Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials. Then restart Daz and reload the figure. Hopefully it'll help.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • joostjoost Posts: 11
    edited November 2022

hansolocambo said:

the toenails on "one" of my G8.1 characters

Does "on one of my G8.1 characters" means that if you load a default G8.1, toenails look fine ? 

If it's only for that specific character : which texture is applied ? This could be a (poorly made) displacement map from the skin you're using. Check the Toenails shader, remove normal map, bump, and especially Displacement map (click on the texture and choose "none"). See if it still renders this way.

If it does, try to apply the Genesis 8.1 default shader, to see if it renders also like that. Posting both a Wire Texture Shaded screenshot + the Iray render would have given more info about this potential explanation.

----

If this happens on the default G8.1 with default shader applied, it could mean that you accidentally saved the base figure with a morph applied. Which means the .dsf of Genesis 8.1 is not the original anymore.

Quit Daz fully. Start Daz Install Manager (or DazCentral ?) and uninstall Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials. This will get rid of the potentially corrupted Genesis8Female.dsf.

Resintall Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials. Then restart Daz and reload the figure. Hopefully it'll help.

For as far as I can see, its only on this specific character, when I load a default Genesis 8.1 female, everything looks normal.
    I'm using the Beatriche texture by Mousso, when I load this on a clean Genesis 8.1 female, everythong looks ok, nothing wrong with these textures.

When I take a look at the surface settings for my character, there is no displacement map in use, removing bump maps and normal maps do not change anything.

Only thing I was able to find, when I select the entire character and zero it, the toes are ok.
    When I select the toes or feet, and zero the selected parts nothing happens.

Any idea how to Zero the toes or feet, and leave the rest of the morphs untouched ?

Ive attached two images, one wired with the deformed toenails, and a screenshot after zeroing the character.

Schermafbeelding 2022-11-04 124047.png
    1647 x 949 - 1002K
    Schermafbeelding 2022-11-04 124213.png
    1374 x 739 - 675K
    Post edited by joost on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

everything looks normal.

That's great news. So it's a small issue.

Any idea how [...]

Well ... Good News or Bad News First? None of them will interest you   (´๑•_•๑)

Good news : Beatrich HD, applied to G8.1 works all good :

Bad news. I don't know why this is happening on your side.

1/ Did you try to uninstall / reinstall of Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials as I suggested yesterday?

2/ Create ONE single folder anywhere in your hard drive. Install Beatrich bundle in there. Start Daz. Go to the content directory manager. Delete all Content Sets > DAZ Studio Formats in the list except the main one (C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library). Hopefully you don't install everything in there right ? (as it's a bad idea). Then add in the list the folder with only Beatriche installed.

Now load a G8.1 and apply Beatriche. I'm 99.99% sure that it will look fine. If it does, it means a morph bundle you have installed modifies G8 no matter what. If it doesn't please reinstall G8 Starter Essentials. Proceed by morph bundle elimination until you find the culprit.

When I select the toes or feet, and zero the selected parts nothing happens.

Let's not confuse zeroing bones and zeroing a morph. You can zero selected bones so that they go back to the Memorized Figure Rigging.

What you're talking about is "zeroing" a portion of the morph applied to the whole mesh. This is something totally different that yes, you can eventually achieve using D-Former, but it's a "complex', not usual workflow, and as it won't explain what's happening, you may face a similar problem tomorrow on another scene/character.

There is no need to go into something complex to prevent some of the Beatriche morph to affect feet, as problem comes from something installed in your library that affects the wireframe. Mousso's work is spotless.

Sorry I can't pinpoint more precisely the issue. I'd need to know everything that's installed in your library... which wouldn't make much sense.

I often advise to NOT use 1 single content Library. For example I put all the body morphs in 1 library. All the characters morphs in another library. All poses and expressions in anoth... etc. When such a problem occurs it's much easier to lock Daz' access to some of the libraries in order to find a problem. And on top of that it tremendously !  speeds up Daz as you can load only what you need for a scene in progress.

Anyway in my humble opinion it's :

1/ genesis8female.dsf that's not the original anymore. Reinstall Starter Essentials.

2/ or a morph bundle that you wanna get rid off as it  f..cks up Genesis because it's alway there doing its job in the shadows (aka auto enhancers).

Good luck with that   (*_ _)人

P.S : 3/ you could also create a custom morph slider by smoothing the toes area in Blender. This would fix the problem... but I don't like that idea as, if it's an efficient workaround, it doesn't answer the "why".

Post edited by hansolocambo on

I've tried to reinstall the Genesis 8 Female starter Essentials, but could only find the Genesis 8 starter Essentials (without 'Female'), 
    After uninstalling this, the Genesis8Female.dsf was gone, and reappeared after reinstalling the Essentials. MD5 sum did not change, although it was different than yours in the first place.

I will try your suggestion by removing all content, to find a morph wich causes this issue.

Many thanks for your detailed post! really appreciated.

• If the problem is caused by a morph that has a non-zero default value, it won't show up under Currently Used. Because Currently Used only shows sliders at non-default values, not necessarily non-zero. In other words, if a product sets a morph to default to 1.0 instead of 0.0, and it's dialed in at 1.0, it won't show under Currently Used.

If you haven't, I would try looking at Currently Used AFTER zeroing the figure. If it's a renegade morph with a non-zero default value, then zeroing the figure will mean it's no longer set to the default value, and it should show up under Currently Used.

Ow wow, I found it.

When I load a clean Genesis 8.1 female, and slide the MSO Beatrische Body HD details to 100%, the toenails are deformed.

Can you guys try to reproduce ? I would like to know if it's a local issue on my pc.

• Unfortunately I don't have that product, maybe somebody else can try. But I do know that sometimes the HD morphs that come with characters can be very specific to that character shape, so it's possible the Beatriche HD morph may be creating distortions only when the Beatriche character isn't also dialed in?

One more thing, what subD level is the figure set to? If it's less than 4, maybe the HD morph only looks right at higher SubD levels. 

thoreandan said:

Unfortunately I don't have that product, maybe somebody else can try. But I do know that sometimes the HD morphs that come with characters can be very specific to that character shape, so it's possible the Beatriche HD morph may be creating distortions only when the Beatriche character isn't also dialed in?

One more thing, what subD level is the figure set to? If it's less than 4, maybe the HD morph only looks right at higher SubD levels. 

The Render SubD level is 5 at the moment, shouldn't be the issue. (almost killing my RTX3080 :D)