need advice on data structure settings when saving new morphs for self-made clothing

KixiePixie13KixiePixie13 Posts: 63

Hello, I have a question on how to properly fill out the save morph asset dialogue that pops up, asking where to save stuff, etc. The issue isn't with saving custom morphs for figures, the issue is saving them with my own clothing, that I made. What happens is that I create the clothing and save it, then later make a custom morph for it and it saves fine, it just creates way more folders and won't save in the base folder. Instead it creates a new structure of folders, making the directory extremely long, to the point where I can't back it up to my new external harddrive, because it complains about the directory being too long to copy. So for example, I save a dress and the structure looks like this: data/clothing/female/dresses/-dress name-/morphs/-my name-/base

But when I create a new morph later and save that, it ends up adding a bunch of folders to that structure, making it look like this: data/clothing/female/dresses/-dress name-/morphs/-my name-/clothing/female/dresses/-dress name-

I'm so confused on how to properly fill that box out to simplify the structures, since I'm having to resave everything I made (unless the folder structure isn't that long), in order to back it up on the new drive. It's confusing because saving character morphs works exactly as intended and doesn't add a bunch of new folders to the structure, other than the name of the character that I put in the name category. But with clothing, accessories and hair, Daz seems to not treat those the same way, or I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, because I can't find anything when searching google, all the results just tell you how to save custom morphs for characters, like G2F/M, G3F/M, etc, which is not what I'm trying to do, since I know how to do that properly. 

(I've been using Daz for 10 years, so I do know how to make morphs, save clothing/accessories/hair, ect, the only issue I have is with the folder structure, which doesn't make sense to me, as to why it adds a bunch of new folders sometimes, but then other times it doesn't, like with characters).

Thank you.

EDIT: I forgot to add that these clothing are for personal use on a project, which is why it doesn't say my name immediately in the structure, if I was selling it or giving it for free, it would have my name before the "clothing" part of the structure. Thought I'd add that to clarify why it immediately says "clothing," rather than "-my name-" first in the structure.

Post edited by KixiePixie13 on

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    edited October 2022

umm... ur not changing the 'Asset Directory' to data/clothing/female/dresses/-dress name-/morphs/-my name-/base are you?

Folder structure should automatically be as per below, where the VendorName and ProductName are what you put when saving the assets, and the /data folder will end up in the Asset Directory you select.
    /data/VendorName/ProductName/Asset/Morphs/VendorName/Base

Post edited by lilweep on
  • lilweep, I choose to save support asset, morph asset and I type the original location of the item. If you're asking why I didn't put "vendor name" as the first item in the structure, it is because the entire thing is just for me, I have an entirely different Daz directory for my free items and products (which aren't that many at this point, I lost interest in selling products due to how complicated the selling process is, so I make stuff mainly for my own personal projects, which is a book). The items work and load fine, including the morphs, the folder structure is the only issue I am facing. I want someone to explain what I am supposed to type in the spaces, in order for it to save it in the exact same spot of the original morphs, I don't want Daz to create a new folder of the morphs, as it is doing now... I hope that makes sense. (The directory I put that said: data/clothing/female/dresses/-dress name- is what is in the Daz directory after I have saved it, not what I'm putting in the field, I am giving an example of what Daz does, as it adds a new folder in the directory, no matter what I put in the field for the new morph)

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

If its your own clothing item and you already saved it successfully - once you added the morph just save it exactly the same way again and it will add the morph to the clothing data folder.

File - Save As - Support Asset - Figure/Prop Assets.

• Mada, thank you, that would work for clothing that isn't already in use, but unfortunately, I think it would break the clothing that I'm already using for scenes?... since I use the characters for my book art (book isn't nearly finished yet, but it's basically concept art), they are saved with the entire outfit (morphs, materials, accessories, hair, etc, already done, so I don't have to do that every time I want to render the character), for quick access. So I'm concerned that saving over the original, will break the outfits already in use in other scenes, unless there's a way to ensure it doesn't break it. I have actually been doing that (resaving clothing) for stuff that isn't in use in anything, but it's also time consuming and it still keeps the odd folder structure, just a bit shorter, since I changed the way I organize things to shorten new items folder structure. I'll have to just play around with naming things and stuff to see if there's any way to get it to stop doing what it's doing, but so far, it hasn't worked... I'm assuming there is a way to simply add a new morph into the original morphs folder without creating a new folder, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.