DAZ crashes during render

I just upgraded to 4.21 and a scene that use to render without any issue is not causing DAZ to crash when I try to render the scene.

Please help!

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Daz 4.21 works perfectly fine. Please check one of the very numerous threads about recent Nvidia Drivers and issues with iRay rendering.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7763331/#Comment_7763331

Known stable drivers with iRay :

Game Ready Driver 517.48 :

https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/517.48/517.48-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

Studio Driver 517.40 :

https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/517.40/517.40-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-nsd-dch-whql.exe

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

...also check to see if your scene has any tiff format maps on any surfaces.

I'm seeing a regression with the tiff bug that caused DS to CTD(Crash To Desktop).

The outfit I tested with uses tif format normal maps.

With the maps I can cause DS4.21(both release and beta) to crash 100% of the time.

WITHOUT the normal.tif maps either runs just fine.

I posted this in another thread and asked for others to help check.

I didn't get anyone, so not sure if it's just me, or if it's everyone.

I'm using Nvidia Studio driver 517.40.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Tiff being more a format for print I never understood why it became so widely used by some Daz content creators. I often resave all tiff textures in png and resave materials and wearable presets.

Tiff uses LZW compression.

Png uses LZ77 then Huffman, a non-patented combo. LZ77 compresses an original file into an intermediate sequence of literal letters, then Huffman further compresses that sequence. This two step process creates smaller files than either algorithm alone.

Png is gentler on graphic cards' VRAM and tends to generate less problems than Tiff in Daz (actually none that I know of).

But regarding Drogo Nazhur's post, I guess his problem is more related to a recent Nvidia's update.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,080

I'm using Dotify for Genesis 8 Male [ https://www.daz3d.com/dotify-for-genesis-8-male ]. If I remove that and use a regular skin tone, it works fine. Does this imply that this version of DAZ will not work with this product?

Is there anyway I can re-installed 4.16? That was working fine.

• Drogo Nazhur said:

Did you keep a back up of the installers?

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Drogo Nazhur said:

I'm using Dotify for Genesis 8 Male [ https://www.daz3d.com/dotify-for-genesis-8-male ]. If I remove that and use a regular skin tone, it works fine. Does this imply that this version of DAZ will not work with this product?

Not yet.

Could be as Hans said and it is another issue with the current NVidia driver.

The 517.40 Studio driver works, I'm using it myself.I saw the posts about all the issues with not only DS but also COD:MW2 and a few of the other games I play so I didn't install the newer driver.

If you have the 517 driver installed and are still crashes with that skin, then you may have found a bug with it.

I don't have that one to try it out so I won't be much help in the testing part, just the guessing part :)

Is there anything in your log file about the crash or what happened before the crash that could help?

Richard Haseltine said:

Drogo Nazhur said:

Did you keep a back up of the installers?

Unfortunately, no,

IceCrMn said:

Drogo Nazhur said:

Not yet.

Could be as Hans said and it is another issue with the current NVidia driver.

The 517.40 Studio driver works, I'm using it myself.I saw the posts about all the issues with not only DS but also COD:MW2 and a few of the other games I play so I didn't install the newer driver.

If you have the 517 driver installed and are still crashes with that skin, then you may have found a bug with it.

I don't have that one to try it out so I won't be much help in the testing part, just the guessing part :)

Is there anything in your log file about the crash or what happened before the crash that could help?

Where are the log files again?

• IceCrMn said:

I'm seeing a regression with the tiff bug that caused DS to CTD(Crash To Desktop).

With the maps I can cause DS4.21(both release and beta) to crash 100% of the time.

It is the color depth of those .tif maps. Usual texture maps have 24 bit (RGB) or 32 bit (RGBA), those .tif that crash Iray have 48 bit - 16 bit per color channel. It seems, Iray in Daz Studio 4.21 has a serious problem with loading those 48 bit .tif maps.

Resave the maps in the usual 24 bit RGB color depth, you can keep the .tif format, also compression doesn't matter - and DS 4.21 will no longer crash.

edited October 2022

stefan.hums said:

IceCrMn said:

It is the color depth of those .tif maps. Usual texture maps have 24 bit (RGB) or 32 bit (RGBA), those .tif that crash Iray have 48 bit - 16 bit per color channel. It seems, Iray in Daz Studio 4.21 has a serious problem with loading those 48 bit .tif maps.

Resave the maps in the usual 24 bit RGB color depth, you can keep the .tif format, also compression doesn't matter - and DS 4.21 will no longer crash.

Thank you. I got him working again ...

The goal was to make him look like a cartoon character. The story has him come to life while still looking like a cartoon character!

df08215-4a5e5f54-73ff-40c8-90a7-72c709fe58b0.jpg
    1250 x 1250 - 1M
    Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on