is there octane render for carrara on mac?

is there octane render for carrara on mac? Where can you find it. I've searched many sites but found nothing.

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited October 2022
    Looks like Windows only and stopped plugin development at the 2020 version. https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=79&sid=466dbc3ca1b39ae170b9dc550a36abd8
    Post edited by 3drendero on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,936

yeah I worry about how long the OR4 plugin which I use will even be supported

as much as I love Carrara I was not prepared to even update to 2020 

(I actually love Carrara native render but need a Threadripper or something and would rather save for that)

• KhoeKhoe Posts: 293

I've already thought it. because I didn't find any hint. The renderer luxury of Daz no longer exists either. I just wanted to test it to see if there were any improvements in the results. But it's not a problem, the existing one in Carrara does what it's supposed to do.

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited November 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

yeah I worry about how long the OR4 plugin which I use will even be supported

as much as I love Carrara I was not prepared to even update to 2020 

(I actually love Carrara native render but need a Threadripper or something and would rather save for that)

As much as i love Octane as a render engine, the supported hardware is a little confusion in my eyes, so i've read that many people have upgraded their graphics card to RTX3060/70/80 and wasn't able to use Octane 4 anymore as it didn't support any cards that aren't based on the Turing architecture, so they have to purchase an expensive upgrade to the newest version. After i've upgraded to O4 from O3 i couldn't use it anymore as my old graphics card wasn't supported anymore (GTX560ti) so i had to downgrade again.
    But with that in my mind i bought the 2060 12GB for my new system just to be able to use O4, if i didn't knew that O4 can't run ampere architecture, i would have bought it and couldn't use it for rendering, so this would have been disappointed. I would wish that they would make a better hardware support that you do not have to purchase an upgrade if you upgrade your hardware and even if you get the RTX 4000 or 5000 if it will came out, you don't know if it will run with the octane version that you actually are using, so in my eyes Octane is an awesome render engine but lacks of hardware support, i would love to have an engine that will get upgrades for hardware compability so if you upgrade your hardware, you can still use your software.

btw. i've got an 8 core cpu with 16 threads and i still think carrara's native rendere is way too slow, compared to the price of a threadripper i think that it might be better to buy a few pc's just for that, on amazon there is a PC for 600€ with i5 11400, 6 core 12 threads@2,6GHz and 4,4GHz boost, for 2400€ you get 4 of them with 24 cores and 48 threads at the end, that seem to be a nice price for just a render farm. Carrara is easy for that as you do not need additional licence for using the RenderNode. for 3000€ you got already 30 cores and 60 threads. Compared to an AMD threadripper Pro 5975 WX (32 core) you pay about 4000€ just for the processor, so i think this could be an interesting alternative if you are planning to just use carrara's native render engine.

Post edited by Chris Fox Art on

thanks for the detailed version. Basically, I'm happy with what I have, you can't swap hardware on the Mac that easily. I use e.g. an I mac pro had a graphics card installed which was then no longer supported by the Mac os. It was a real challenge to swap the graphics card. some hobbyists then found a solution that can be blocked and flashed. Now the computer is working again :) at a high level. Huge amounts of money to build a render farm is of no interest. I'm always looking for an alternative that might bring new possibilities. if the render engine costs many times more than the program then it is of no interest. What comes out for me is also OK in my opinion:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,936
    edited November 2022

I won't give another cent to Otoy and just hope what I have keeps working for as long as possible 

it proved to be a sunk cost

I have already lost all use of the previous Octane 2 for DAZ studio I had

and Octane 3

yes can use their free tier for D|S but there was some functionality of that version I wish I still could use

it simply can no longer pass activation 

one day I suspect the same will happen for OR4 Carrara unless I pony up even more cash, been over 1K to date already

I do love the Carrara engine but too have the issue of my processors being too limited 

however it (the Carrara native engine)still renders faster than DAZ iray with a 2080Ti on the computer with 4 threads even so there is that wink

The 8 threaded one gives Carrara Octane a run for it's money depending on the scene

Octane leaves it for dead with replication and transmapped shaders but if it's purely geometry like that Kitbash3D Mission to Minerva set the Carrara engine shines (once I got it in there that is)

horses for courses

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

It's just a shame that Cararra can't go any further. There are some free render engines in Blender. If DAZ would somehow buy in there... but unfortunately remain silent.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    There are multiple options for running Windows on Mac, here is a list: https://machow2.com/best-way-run-windows-mac/ While they recommend Paralells that is veey good but not free, VMWare Fusion Player is free for personal use.