Making GeoGrafts use parent material. [Kinda solved - grafts were not the issue]

DrHemulenDrHemulen Posts: 81

I am trying to make a geograft inherit the material definitions of the parent figure, but can’t get it working with Genesis 8. Using the parent material is useful for adding extra mesh details, like bellybutton for G9, so that's the example here. G8 and G3 gets an extra bellybutton, as they allready have one :

I do this:

• Export Genesis to Blender, collapse UV tiles
  • Select relevant faces from torso front delete the rest
  • Edit model to make a bellybutton
  • UV map the newly created faces to fit with the graft edge faces
  • Import into Daz
  • Transfer wizard, no parenting
  • Select graft faces
  • Select hidden faces
  • Fit graft to none
  • Fit graft to Genesis

I save them as with the following options – as far as I can see, these are identical:

This technique generally works, so I can find the correct materials in smart content and apply the relevant figure's base material to the grafts for G3 and G9. For G8 shows the G8F materials in smart content, but applying one doesn’t work:

Weirdly, when I apply a material to the G8 graft, it changes the material of the host G8 figure instead. It seems something is pointing the wrong way, but I cannot figure out what’s going on. I’ve tried this several times now, with exactly the same results.

I kinda got it working once, but then I could only use the G8 material from the starter essentials. Unfortunately I tried fixing that and then it stopped working completely and I could not recreate it ☹

I'm starting to think there may be an issue with my database. Is there any way I can revert all G8 info til defaults? 

I've attached a ZIP of the G3F and G8F meshes if anybody wants to give it a shot. They are in Blender scale so need to be imported at 5000% scale (axis conversion is just X-Y-Z)

zip
zip
GeoGrafts.zip
Post edited by DrHemulen on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

Not really sure what you are experiencing.

I first loaded the G8F BB in blender, and the UV looked fine.

So I took it into Daz Studio, not as a geograft, but just as a prop on top of G8F, where I applied the torso material, and that seemed fine too (see image).

Maybe check that the object has the right shader before applying the material. It seems that DS sometimes loads it with a wrong shader, and then you can't apply the material.

G8F_Extra_BB.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Thank you for testing this out, that cleared up some issues.

I tried to do the same and got a similar behaviour as I saw before. Loaded the new mesh and the parent figure without doint anyting else. Applying materials works with G3 and G9 but not G8. Also get some very weird behavoir where changing material for the G8 figure did not change the torso material, so something is short-circuiting somewhere.

With G3 and G9  I did not even har to parent or use the transfer utility. The base figure just had to exist in the scene. 

The conclusion must be that my issue is not with geografting or my meshes, but with my installation.

I will test on another PC I think.

Thanks again, that was extremely useful