Unlinking bones in autofitted dresses

(sorry if I am using the wrong terms!)

Autofitting dresses and skirts from other characters is rarely very good- the hip and above are fine but below there is often the "crushed Y shape" at the front and buckling lavel with the knees, and posing legs causes all sorts of issues. I have finally (?) realised that V4 items autofit often really well to G8 and G9 if I use G3 as an intermediary, so this reopens a lot of my runtime which I now want to use.

Is it possible to autofit as normal so hip and above conform, and then unlink the bones of the thigh and calf, so that the character legs are no longer linked to the skirt and the skirt can be posed using morphs (if present) or the integral bones of the clothing? I am sure this is easy, but I can't find how to do it.

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

V4 items autofit often really well to G8 and G9 if I use G3 as an intermediary

Not sure I understand everything in there ? You can delete or re-parent a bone. But unparenting it totally I doubt it's possible. If you don't want legs to have any influence on the asset's vertices, you can :

1/ Use the Joint Editor Tool (Alt+Shift+J) to select all leg's bones in the viewport (Ctrl+Left Click) then use the very handy script by MikeD to Delete Selected Bones. Unpared bones would become bones without a parent Hip nor a mesh to influence, that's just not possible.

2/ Or you can remove influence from the leg bones. Use the Node Weight Brush Tool (Alt+Shift+W). Go to the Tool Settings Tab, select for example the Left/Right Thigh Bend, then the General Weight in Tool Settings. You'll see the influence for the selected bone appear in the viewport. Right-click in the viewport or left-click on the small menu icon in the Tool Settings (3 bars with an arrow), and choose Weight Editing > Fill Selected > 0%. This way influence of the selected leg bone will be removed. Do that for all leg's bones influencing your asset and it should do the trick.

When an asset does not follow bones correctly, it is due to incorrect weighting of its vertices to the rig. Daz Auto-Fit does its best automatically. But manual adjustment of weights, to define how vertices react to movements of the armature, is sometimes necessary.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Try setting the outfit ttype to skirt or dress (I can't recall the exact label) in the AutoFit dialogue.