Adding Ground Fog--Remove Line?

I'm trying to use an environment in the render settings as the scenic backdrop.  It's not an HDRI and I want ground fog in it.  I was successful using no ground, but the scene doesn't look right with her not standing on something.  However, when I add a ground to it using Dome Mode --> Finite Sphere w/Ground, there is a black line.  I've messed with all sorts of the setting sliders and am at a loss.  I only started the environment rendering the last week and am new(ish) to digital art still.  Any help is appreciated!  I have attached a snip of a portion that is rendered along with the fog settings.

Fog line.jpg
1333 x 1375 - 188K

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Raise Render Settings > Environment > Atmospheric Ground Fog > Ground Fog Decay Start value until it's high enough.

Playing with Ground Fog Decay Start, the camera position and Ground Fog Decay Start Scale, you can definitely get rid of that line.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • I did small increments all the way to 10,000 and it didn't help  :(

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

I see a shadow so I guess your character is close to the ground.

Try Ground Fog Decay Start : 48

And leave all other values to default. A set-up as simple as this one should give a nice fog already ?

If you see a black line with that set-up, then it's the camera that's too high. So you need to raise the Decay Start (Maybe 100 or 150) and lower the Density Start Scale (maybe 0.015).

Good fog is (at least) a 3 things combo (Camera Y translation + Decay Start + Decay Start Scale). You gotta play with at least those 3 things to get a good result. Fog decay height can also diffuse that "line".

It's hard to help your specific case, as a good looking fog depends on many parameters, and on the scene itself. Maybe hide your character and for tests, use instead a Rectangle of the same height. If your computer is not fast enough to give you a responsive Iray preview this will help. Then play with Fog options in Render Settings. 

It's definitely possible, no matter how big or small is the subject, or how high or low is the camera, to get : very good looking fogs.

Post edited by hansolocambo on