will a rtx 3060 be enough for iray?

I've been looking at 3060s for a while now, settling on getting the 12gb. 3060 Really is the best I can get not only with price but also my PSU. I have to settle for a lower power PSU due to breaker tripping issues. (granted I've never tested higher PSUs but I dont' want to buy one, put it in, and hten find out it turns the power off to my room)

But I'm now worried that the 12gb 3060 won't be enough? I am currently using an AMD gpu so it's always going off my cpu.

how complicated could scenes be with the 3060? how much would cause it to kick back onto my CPU?

Comments

• jesusaramenesjesusaramenes Posts: 177
    edited October 2022
    I have a 3060 and I chose it for the 12gb and for me it is largely sufficient, after that it depends on a set of things, renders settings, the number of elements present in the scene etc... but with my way of working simple renders take between 2 and 5 minutes, complex ones between 20 and 30 minutes Édit : i only use gpu even if i have a good cpu To be able to do other things on my computer and i have 32 gb of ram
    Post edited by jesusaramenes on
  • vectorinusvectorinus Posts: 120
    edited October 2022

The 3080s cards became obsolete immediately after the release of the 4090s. And the 4090s are hot as stoves. Therefore, you have made the right choice. Especially 12 GB of vram. After all, the most important thing is that the computer scene would be interesting and not necessarily complicated. There are people who create exciting stories on a piece of paper with a simple pencil. Well, it's impossible not to create an interesting scene with the help of the gorgeous Genesis sisters from the Daz Studio.

Post edited by vectorinus on
  • lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 635
    edited October 2022

I bought a 3060 a few weeks ago and am happy as a kid in a sandpit with it. I really have to load up a scene before it drops to CPU...it easily renders three or four G8/8.1 figures, dressed and with hair plus background environment. One of the best decisions I've made...that and getting 64gb RAM though I'll be upping that too.

Edit: Just loaded a scene with seven 8/8.1 figures and it's just sitting at 12248Mb on the GPU.

Post edited by lorraineopua on
  • I've been rendering on a 12gb 3060 since shortly after they launched, and it definitely handles Iray just fine. Because of that extra memory, it will handle larger scenes than the 10gb 3080's before dropping to CPU too. So even if it lacks the raw performance of the higher model, it will handle a bit more going on in the scene. Certainly a good choice! 

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

I have a 3060 12GB  in my second system. The card Works excellently. I even gave 2 to other people here. one 3060Ti 8GB  and a 3060 12GB, when I upgraded to the 3090 on my primary system.