Move Parameter Dial, Permanently

evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464

Say there's a parameter dial in the wrong spot (not to point any fingers... Pose Controls/Face/Animals) and I want to move it to where it SHOULD BE (Pose Controls/Head/Animals) permanently, what would be the correct way to do that? I understand if it gets updated, yadda yadda... I'll deal with that if it happens.

Thanks!

Post edited by evilded777 on

Comments

• Edit it on the dev load version of the figure, so evrything is at deault, chnage the path, and try File>Save As>Suuport Assets>Save Modified Assets. Just note that any update to the product will overwrite the chnage and it won't work with content installed through Daz Studio (for that you would have to edit the .dsf file in a text editor, after decompressing it)

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

One more thing if I may. Before saving the slider somewhere else the way Richard mentionned, my advise would be to create any folder anywhere in your hard drive. And add that folder to the Content Directory Manager.

Then save your asset as a test in that folder. Rename the original one, reload a Genesis and, if everything works, then move the saved file(s) from your test Library Folder to the main one. Always safer to work custom sliders, items, etc. in another Library for the sake of testing things first.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
    edited November 2022

Move Parameter Dial [...]   (Shaping ? Posing ? )

If it's shaping sliders, those you find in the Shaping Tab or in Paramaters Tab > Actor, there's an easy way to change them.[...]

Obsolete post.

• There is no need to edit text fiels directly, just click the gear icon on the slider, open Parameters Settings, and edit the group there. You can also put the Parameters pane in Edit mode, via right-click, and then multi-select sliders and bulk edit via the right-click menu.

edited November 2022

[...] and then multi-select sliders and bulk edit via the right-click menu.

Bulk editing the property group of multiple sliders from the Daz right-click menu changes the group for the currently loaded G8 only. If someone spends an hour editing sliders, he'll be suprised to see that on any other G8, sliders will still be where the content creator put them.

Whereas batch editing files using Notepad++ (Ctrl+H > Replace > Find in Files) makes any change permanent (which was OP's request). After that, any loaded G8 will have shaping sliders in the property group (slider's Parameters Settings > Path) decided by the user, not the one chosen by the content creator.

Changing path the way you said is convenient as it's easier to see what's changing straight away without having to reload a Genesis. If after applying changes to the slider's position the way you said, there's also a way within Daz Studio to (bulk)apply those changes permanently to the .dsf files, please advise, it'd be so very useful !

• Just use File>Save As>Support Assets>Save Modified Assets (working on the dev load version of the figure, to avoid changing any other defaults).

edited November 2022

That's so freakin' amazing.

Damn. Thanks Richard. That is undoubtedly the best news of the week. I'll save myself some headaches with this tip.

Thanks a lot !  

d(〃^▽^〃)

edited November 2022

Sorry to come back on that subject but :

I load a G8 with no other Content Library than the default Starter Essentials for G8F, and another library with a morph bundle that I want to modify. I change the placement of sliders as I want them to appear in Parameters Tab > Actor. Using G8F Dev Load as you advised.

When I save the modified assets, in the list of modified assets there is always :

/data/Daz3D/Genesis8/Female/Genesis8Female.dsf

I made a copy of the file for safety. But when saving the modified assets, I see that Genesis8Female.dsf has been re-saved in the folder : C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\Daz 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Genesis8Female.dsf

How come Daz lets that file appear in the list of modified assets even though it hasn't been modified ? I do not move any slider, I simply edit sliders parameters in edit mode. That's quiet unsettling.

P.S : evilded777 I am taking advantage of your interesting thread to ask a few questions. I hope you don't mind and that this discussion has already provided an answer to your initial question.

• Which Genesis 8? The oen you want is the DevLoad.

• Dev Load yep. I wrote that down in my precedent post ;)

• Hmm, not sure why that is happening - I do see the same.

edited November 2022

This might be (one of the reasons) why so many people in different threads complain that their base G8 does load with some weird morphs already applied ?

This file should be protected at all cost ;)

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

hansolocambo said:

Whereas batch editing files using Notepad++ (Ctrl+H > Replace > Find in Files) makes any change permanent (which was OP's request). After that, any loaded G8 will have shaping sliders in the property group (slider's Parameters Settings > Path) decided by the user, not the one chosen by the content creator.

Sorry for taking this thread up from the vault, but I also try to move entries in the parameter tab to their appropriate position - and there's loads of them that need moving - but neither using the bulk option nor editing the .dsf files in Noteped++ had any success beyond a restart of DAZ or beyond shutting down my computer and starting it again.

The changes are still in the .dsf files I edited, but they are just ignored. So why does DAZ chooses to ignore them? Is there some hidden file somewhere, which unwantedly restores any changes I made? It's a bit frustrating, as I literally spent hours already to find out how to do something, that should basically be just a drag/drop action...

• maikdecker said:

hansolocambo said:

Sorry for taking this thread up from the vault, but I also try to move entries in the parameter tab to their appropriate position - and there's loads of them that need moving - but neither using the bulk option nor editing the .dsf files in Noteped++ had any success beyond a restart of DAZ or beyond shutting down my computer and starting it again.

The changes are still in the .dsf files I edited, but they are just ignored. So why does DAZ chooses to ignore them? Is there some hidden file somewhere, which unwantedly restores any changes I made? It's a bit frustrating, as I literally spent hours already to find out how to do something, that should basically be just a drag/drop action...

Have you cleared the DSON Cache, from the Preferences dialogue?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,173

Indeed ~  as Richard said, clearing DSON chache is a must with the above operation(s).

Richard Haseltine said:

maikdecker said:

hansolocambo said:

and

crosswind said:

Indeed ~  as Richard said, clearing DSON chache is a must with the above operation(s).

Yes, I did that... I also manually checked all directiories (that I found; even any usually hidden ones) for probably files that could be contain the "unmodified" data, but couldn't identify any...

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,173

maikdecker said:

Richard Haseltine said:

maikdecker said:

hansolocambo said:

and

crosswind said:

Yes, I did that... I also manually checked all directiories (that I found; even any usually hidden ones) for probably files that could be contain the "unmodified" data, but couldn't identify any...

Oh, let's first confirm one thing: you mean after *.dsf modification and clearing cache, they did not work in a saved scene or an empty scene with a newly-loaded, let's say, a Genesis x Base figure or a character ?

If you mean the former, if the morphs that you modified have values in that scene file, their Groups were saved along with the scene file that'll override what you modified in dsf files when loading. You may open the duf file for a search and check.

If you mean the latter, it really shouldn't happen as the mechanics of *.dsf files is always there....

crosswind said:

&

Richard Haseltine said:

Sorry for having bothered you, as a combination of User Error, using DIM for installing stuff and having a personal content structure seems to be the reason for my problem.

I have several content directories, sorted for the source of the content (DAZ Shop, Rendo etc.) and use DIM for installing the products obtained from the DAZ shop, while unpacking/saving the products from other sources manually. When I thought where another file responsible for the problem might be found, I checked the Data folder in the Rendo content directory and found a second G8F.dsf there, together with morph files for most of the G8F named figures from the DAZ shop. I'm not sure if these filed got save there by DIM or if I moved them by my own stupidity, but after deactivating the the Rendo content and starting DAZ with only the DAZ shop content the changes I did were active..

Seems having another G8F.dsf was responsible for the changes not showing up. So now all I have to do is to check for other double files in those content directories I guess...

So thanks for Your help, as it made me look for other possible reasons above those already mentioned in previous posts here smiley