AVI render, FPS

lorddayradonlorddayradon Posts: 446

I've been rendering out Small AVI's ( 480z270  16:9  ie: 1/4 1920x1080)  1000 frames each

Issue #1:

It appears that  if the file hits the ~4.28G limit, most other programs won't import or open it, and reports it as an invalid format.  Hence above why I've been rendering in 1K frame segments.  Likes those just fine @ ~380Mb each.  Is this an undocumented or specified limit of AVI's in general, or just the codec that DS uses to encode the uncompressed AVI? If that is the case, perhaps at some point the DEV's could look at other movie formats/codecs?

Issue #2.  

FPS in the scene is set to 60 FPS.  Math dictates that with 60 frames every 1000ms each frame duration is 16.67ms long.

After exporting to AVI, when I import and read the file info in other software, or even just rClick the file, properties-details tab in windows,  It reports the Frame rate as 62.5.

This, when using Mimic Live for mouth animation and Dubing, makes a near impossible task of matching up an already delayed animation that is now running at 2.5 frames per second faster, than the audio it was recorded with, and that I have to sync it up with. Additionaly the video editing software running at 59.97 fps, drops frames to match up the clip frame rate with the projects frame rate. 60fps to 59.97fps isn't so bad.  With clever cutaways, scene changes (clip changes) or even a still frame inserted to replace another can hide this. Basically it drops 1 frame every 100 frames. Droping frames to compensate for  2.53 frames per second means a min of 2 frames out of every 60 are gone, or 3 if it rounds up. This is harder to compensate for and means that every second of audio, there is 2 frames short somewhere and hence the audio and video are hard to sync up.

How can I force the AVI to be written at the same frame rate the scene is setup with?

EDIT

Issue #3, I've noticed that the resulting avi, also has some spots (usually at the end) where it's just stuck on the same frame for a bit.

ie:  my AVI clip 3  frames 2001 - 3000,  got stuck on frame 2147 it just repeated until frame 2211 when it returned to playing/recording properly.  A quick render of Still images for frames 2148 - 2210 and placed them as an overlay on top of the clip, problem resolved.  But it means I have to scan each AVI for these issues, and render out individual frames.

ideas why this is occuring?

Post edited by lorddayradon on

Comments

• Why are you going straight to AVI, rather than rendering an image sequence and putting it together in an editor?

• lorddayradonlorddayradon Posts: 446
    edited October 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Why are you going straight to AVI, rather than rendering an image sequence and putting it together in an editor?

Not that I feel it is pertinant as any answer would not lead to a solution, if you must know;  The first part in syncronizing a mouth animation to audio ( in this case, the mouth animation is a dubbed version of me singing words to a song (for mono and no bg music) then due to mimic live's delay, my delay occassionaly in singing the words at the right time (I'm not a professional singer)  you render small avi's and start to line them up with the actual wave of the song.  Then you write down time codes of specific lines, gaps, and use that to go back to the animation and figure out which frames/when, to animate inhales/exhales overtime, more personalized head/arm body movements if appropriate, re render small avi's and re-line up as per your recorded time codes.  Once you are satisfied that it is as close as it can be, then you render 5000 frames at 1920x1080 in iray instead of the ultra tiny in active viewport.

The short answer to "Why" is  a) time  b) ease of accomplishment. If I was to try and do all the above in the later render format mentioned, it would increase the work time 10x as long as a minimum.

Now I'm not sure how all this helps you figure out how I fix the avi issues, but have at it.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

You do know that 24 FPS has become standard for films.

• AgitatedRiot said:

You do know that 24 FPS has become standard for films.

I do.  Does that help you resolve my issues easier?

• tfistfis Posts: 129

The 4,2 GB limit depends on the file system. Seems to be FAT32. Don't use uncompressed avi. Use H.246 or so. But I never render movie clips directly, so I don't know if there's an option.

• lorddayradonlorddayradon Posts: 446
    edited October 2022

tfis said:

The 4,2 GB limit depends on the file system. Seems to be FAT32. Don't use uncompressed avi. Use H.246 or so. But I never render movie clips directly, so I don't know if there's an option.

Thanx for the suggestion. I went and checked them all just in case where ever it's writing the frame renders before it assembles the avi is FAT32, but they are all NTFS which has a volume and file size limit of 256TB.

Not sure If I've seen h.246  (i've heard of reencodes using h.265 - i think) but I don't recall seeing either in the drop down.  I'll investigate that more, and see if that adding a codec to my system if needed, also adds it to the drop down in daz and test it out.

• lorddayradon said:

tfis said:

Thanx for the suggestion. I went and checked them all just in case where ever it's writing the frame renders before it assembles the avi is FAT32, but they are all NTFS which has a volume and file size limit of 256TB.

Not sure If I've seen h.246  (i've heard of reencodes using h.265 - i think) but I don't recall seeing either in the drop down.  I'll investigate that more, and see if that adding a codec to my system if needed, also adds it to the drop down in daz and test it out.

Yeah I see no option under Render Animation for choosing the codec Daz uses to encode the AVI.  Care to point me where to find it?