Multiple objects/object groups not all importing into UE5 together

I'm having trouble getting multiple objects or object groups (think a character holding a bag wearing sunglasses and hat along with her outfit or such a character but in a vehicle or a person mounted on a animal or even ROG large room) using Daz to unreal bridge it imports a few parts of the group but not others. I have resorted to exporting the object group into a single .obj reimporting the obj back into Daz and then using Daz to unreal bridge to import the obj into unreal which works 14-1/2 the time. Any suggestions on how to fix it or what I'm probably doing wrong?

Comments

• VividImaginatorVividImaginator Posts: 38
    edited October 2022

I was trying to send 22 Parker Road to my Unreal Engine project but I had problems with some groups not being exported.

Tried many different approaches, like combining groups and moving everything into a single group, but that didn't work.

I ended up sending the environment to Blender; I used the Daz to Blender plug in, and everything was there; exported from Blender to FBX... and then imported the FBX into Unreal and that worked. Ended up with 322 materials... I had to edit the base materials to add normal, specular, bump, opacity, metallicity, and some diffuse maps. Then, I had to manually assign the edited materials to get rid of duplicates; it was A LOT of work! But now, I have the Daz environment in my Unreal project. ^^

I'm making a video to show the Daz environment in Unreal Engine 5; I will share it when it's done (yeah, I'm such a show-off! :D)

Post edited by VividImaginator on
  • I have noticed in the current version of the bridge that some character materials are not appearing in UE5. In particular, of the eye materials (sclerela, pupils, iris), only the iris is coming through for me.

I only use DTU for materials export, so I'm going to see if I can find an older version of DTU where this isn't an issue.

• VividImaginator said:

I was trying to send 22 Parker Road to my Unreal Engine project but I had problems with some groups not being exported.

Tried many different approaches, like combining groups and moving everything into a single group, but that didn't work.

I ended up sending the environment to Blender; I used the Daz to Blender plug in, and everything was there; exported from Blender to FBX... and then imported the FBX into Unreal and that worked. Ended up with 322 materials... I had to edit the base materials to add normal, specular, bump, opacity, metallicity, and some diffuse maps. Then, I had to manually assign the edited materials to get rid of duplicates; it was A LOT of work! But now, I have the Daz environment in my Unreal project. ^^

I'm making a video to show the Daz environment in Unreal Engine 5; I will share it when it's done (yeah, I'm such a show-off! :D)

I havent had to do that with earlier versions od DTU plugin. Can i revert to previous last known working version of DTU and use that until this is fixed? also anyone know when g9/v9 will be suppoerted by DTU? 

• catmastercatmaster Posts: 226
    edited November 2022

DTU has effectively become the texture generator for Daz characters. Because of the compatibility issues with UE5 new updates, prefer not installing the plugin into the main project that needs to launch, but copy the textures it generates and replicate the assets like the master materials, post process animation blueprints, mannequin to G8 retargeter etc. in the main project so that it doesn't rely on the plugin.

Post edited by catmaster on
  • catmaster said:

DTU has effectively become the texture generator for Daz characters. Because of the compatibility issues with UE5 new updates, prefer not installing the plugin into the main project that needs to launch, but copy the textures it generates and replicate the assets like the master materials, post process animation blueprints, mannequin to G8 retargeter etc. in the main project so that it doesn't rely on the plugin.

I don't want to go through all that when it was working fine a few weeks or so ago. Can I just revert to an earlier version that had no issues use that and call it a day? Or maybe will there be a fix in a future update?

• I don't do animations. I do still images. I have characters with multiple props and figures like watches weapons game controllers etc. I also export scenes and objects with multiple props and figures attached so I heavily rely DTU for "ease of use" when converting 

• Right now I just export everything to obj reimport the obj into Daz and use DTU to send it into UE5. The problem with that is it makes most of the eyes in my character white (no texture or material) and heavily changes the material of the objects or character when exported to obj. Frequently ruining the whole look of the thing. I'd rather get DTU to work properly. Again I ask can I revert to earlier DTU to get it to work again? Is there a fix in a future update?

• How do I do that?

• I'm using Daz studio 4.20 with DazToUnreal Bridge v2022.2.18 and the textures it sends to UE5.0 are fine with correct eyes, eye lashes and hair, some transparent clothing has incorrect material settings and needs fix manually, didn't update to Daz studio 4.21 maybe the new Daz version isn't very compatible with current version of DTU, and there are other DTU versions available:
    https://github.com/daz3d/DazToUnreal/releases
    https://github.com/David-Vodhanel/DazToRuntime/releases

• Tried using earlier versions of DTU and it wouldn't import into UE5 at all. Like I had to completely uninstall UE5 reinstall it reinstall the latest DTU to get it to work again at all. I'd ask how to downgrade to Daz 4.20 but that's probably gonna cause me a different set of hell. Is there a good third option? Is DTU gonna get fixed at all ever? At least these issues?

• Still haven't had much luck getting EVERYTHING to export into UE5. I use DTU and it'll import SOME things (character hair some clothes) but props....nope. Parented obj imported Stuff....nope. Is there an update to DTU coming up to fix this or a workaround maybe? 

• Note I don't do animations. If that makes helping me out with suggestions any easier.