Broken Rigging for custom shape - how to fix it?

Hello! I need some help with broken rigging for extreme and shortened shapes in DS 4-20 beta. Some time ago I made a series of kid morphs for Genesis 3 figures (mostly converted from old Kids 4 custom morphs) but all they need proper rigging. I decided that the simplest way is to rig and adjust the base Kids shape for Genesis 3, and load that custom morphs as additional over that base shape. But it proved to be not so simple. The male version of G3 caused almost no problems, but G3F is much more capricious. So I got two unexpected problems.
1) First of all, after many manipulations with Kids shape, G3F absorbed (somehow) this shape and now when I load the base G3F (Genesis 3 Female.dsf) it loads along with Kids shape turned on and often shows Duplicate Formulas error. I have to switch this corrupted dsf to pure base archived Genesis 3 Female.dsf, sometimes it helps. How to fix this strange issue?

2) Secondly, the problem with broken rig for arms and hands in Kids shape. After initial converting and rigging the morph I found that rig for arms is broken and original bent hands don't go for hand poses, so I replaced them with a regular straight version (thanks to new Geometry Editor, now we can exclude vertices from morphing). Because the most of the shape was already properly rigged and equiped with all JCMs, I replaced just hands via Morph Loader Pro by importing the mesh with the same name and overwriting Deltas Only. My settings for Morph Loader are shown below, maybe I missed something? It keeps all ERC links for unaltered parts of the mesh, and changed just hands. But after that I did Adjust Rigging to Shape for hands and arms only and found I cannot keep this rigging after resaving the morph. Every time when I reload the Studio or Genesis 3 Female, my rigging for Kids Female shape either remains broken as before or fixed bones disappear at all for this particular shape! What is going on and how to record rigging forever within the shape file? When I do adjust rigging I carefully pick the bones for arms and hands and influenced face groups too. At last I tried to re-rig all the shape, but the result was the same. Some times ago I did this trick (partial morph replace) with rigged G2 Male without issues, and could do it with G3M too, but it's first time I try it on the female figure and first time I encountered such a problem.
The last method I tested was Morph Rigger Pro, and I can say it works better than built-in DS rigger. It helped to place all bones correctly and even kept it after saving (but only with fully renamed morph and under a new name), but when I tested the shape in posing, I found that female poses more complicated, and cause problems with overtwisting forearms and legs and with "ribbon fingers" (mesh distortion of fingers). Joint Editor shows me that bones bent right, but they poke out of the mesh in arms and hands areas and cannot keep the shape of fingers (shown on the screenshot). If I zero the common pose and apply just pure hand poses, all work well. What's the secret? I feel I need some JCM to exclude overtwisting in Forearm Twist bones (now they look like snakes) but fingers are native for Genesis 3, just lessened in size. The rest part of the mesh (torso, legs) bents beautifully well and even all JCM work right, but arms became a sudden problem.
Some screenshots below illustrate the problem, and I hope someone know how to fix it. I like new possibilities of updated DS, which make creating morphs much easier, but I stumble upon such simple bugs so far.

01 Hands shape.jpg
800 x 1119 - 305K
02 Broken Arms Rigging.jpg
660 x 648 - 263K
Morph Loader Pro Settings.jpg
585 x 528 - 127K
Fixed Rigging Problems.jpg
491 x 492 - 180K

Comments

• wargiswargis Posts: 142
    edited October 2022

A little update - I found (seemingly) 2 similar cases in the forum - one concerns ribbon fingers and name duplicates (https://forum.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67346/solved-genesis-3-female-finger-issue), another has deal with Memorize Rigging for eyes (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56977/is-this-a-bug-the-product-i-am-using-or-just-me). But I haven't got any exact answer through those threads. What about name duplicates - they must be the same withing all morph list in Genesis 3 Female only, or if Genesis 3 Male data folder contains similarly named morphs, they may be a reason of that messing too? I have a morph named Kids 4 Female for G3M, it served like a base for several JCMs earlier.  And how to delete the custom shape from the base DSF file for G3F? She is loaded every time with that custom morph turned on, I feel it causes the most of errors. And yes, this ribbon fingers occur mostly with child or younger (shortened) shapes.

I attempted also to Memorize Rigging for re-rigged shape, but it leads to disappearing of some bones only. How to save rigging permanently for one partucular morph? In the eyes thread I found such advice -

"I suspect the links are set to save with the wrong thing - the rigging, not the morph. After (quickly, since it's just a test) redoing the rigging changes and the ERC Freeze find the morph in the Property Hierarchy, then under Sub-components find the rigging changes and under their attributes see what the link is set to save with. If it's the rigging proeprty, not the morph, then that is the issue - redo the changes properly and before saving change the setting to tell the ERC link to save with your morph."

What exactly should I change in the Property Hierarchy, to glue the rigging of the arms and hands to the corresponding parts of the mesh? So far, it behaves weird when bones seen in the Joint Editor move in a right way, but mesh doesn't follow them and gets distortions.

Moreover, if I change the name and label of this particular morph which was set as a controller property for JCMs, how to re-hook all JCMs in the in the Property Hierarchy, can I set the renamed property as a new controller or I should reload all JCMs via Morph Loader again?

Post edited by wargis on