Making Clones of G9 - Tutorial

Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,019
edited October 2022 in Freebies

WIP  = work in progress  Now uploaded to Renderosity

Intended project is to make clones OF G9 for the rest of the Genesis clan so they can wear G9's clothes too.

Now, we do not all have expensive software that can skin one form to the other, I will be using what I have which is what everybody has or can have because it is Daz Studio. Where I use Hexagon, one can make use of exports out to other programs such as Blender or Zbrush, etc. No groups [clothing needs to be one piece] No geografts [because these either be or becoming morphs] And of course you will have to have the export/import sizing figured out before starting the project too.

First decision is G8male or G8female to start with. Waiting on tombraider4ever for that decision.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,019
    edited October 2022

While waiting for answer, I went and made the G9 Clone for the G8M.

So now we all know the answer, G8 Female ... okay. Or even better perhaps would be the G8.1 Female.

So this tutorial will be covering both, one using export/import from Daz [no modeller required] and one using Hexagon.

If using G8.1 - remember to remove the 'tears' as well.

G9 Shirt on G8M.png
    1000 x 1000 - 711K
    edited October 2022

Update: inspite of headache noisy construction neighbours, etc., I have finally got all the images done. Most of them are edited. Intentions are to edit the rest tomorrow [the 26th] and paste them into a .pdf file. The following day to proof read and hopefully release it over at Renderosity.

To accomodate a few new comers to this world of clones I have covered the steps about as thoroughly as one can. The walk through project covers making an autofit clone of G9 for G8M as well as for G8F AND a few extra notes with regards to G8.1 Female. The great news is that additional clones for G9 of G8.1 are not necessary. Dialing in the shape of the G8 clones is just fine [same shape as for 8.1]. And posing is no problem either -- the G8 figure's thighs need to be posed [6 and -6] to match G9's legs. Then the G8 mesh to become clothing on G9 is exported out. Then imported back in to make clothing with it on G9. Then exported out to become the auto-fit clone for the G8 figures. It takes longer to make tutorials than it does to do the work ;-)

G9's clothes on G8Female.png
    1000 x 1000 - 759K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,158

Thank you for all your hard work, you are very generous with your time.

I look forward to the completed tutorial.

• Thank you so much for making this! heartsmileysorry for not replying sooner, I'm so grateful for this, for you to devote so much of your time to make this to help people like me w low techincal skill in daz, that's so very generous of you! heartsmiley It will be such a relief and joy to see my Lara G8.1 character w G9 outfits fitted, to see the new G9 only outfits avaliable and know I can buy them for my Lara when I can afford them smiley.  I begin every day w looking trough Daz new sales page, so to know that I can use those cool stuff for my L character will be so much fun! heart Making my art is the purpose of my life, I devote my life to make Lara Croft fanart so you are helping me tons w this! heartsmiley

edited October 2022

Update:  Tutorial is put together, in the proof reading basket. As long as everything is working, expect this to be uploaded to Renderosity tomorrow. It's often available within 24 hours or so then.

I will suggest that one not start working the project without sufficient time to finish at least one figure [if doing many]. I was interrupted in the middle of making one and it is a little confusing trying to figure out where one left off, where to start again ;-)

Cover.png
    857 x 1000 - 593K
    edited October 2022

It has been uploaded to Renderosity!

Hopefully nobody gets too lost reading through the pages. It's a good idea to read through it first, see how things will work out -- then open Daz Studio and follow along.

I provided lots of images and repeated some of the steps as the topic covers making clones FOR G8M, G8F and bonus of one for G8.1F. If one makes G9 autofit clones for G8M/F, one does not need to make them also for G8.1M/F as G8 and G8.1 are the same shape. {and 8.1 can read morphs for 8}

One of my tutorial followers requires repeats on instructions so kindly pardon if the repeating seems a little over done. When eventually he grasps the knowledge, he is actually very smart. Not everybody's brains work the same way.

• Thanks so much for gifting your knowledge to the community. Your Rendo Freebie page is amazing! I'll definitely download this new tutorial when it displays.

• It's live now :-)

• Brilliant! Your directions worked on the first try making a clone for G8F! 

Catherine3678ab said:

It's live now :-)

• jhoffler said:

Brilliant! Your directions worked on the first try making a clone for G8F! 

Catherine3678ab said:

Wonderful :-)  Thanks for the feedback :-) 

• Catherine3678ab said:

Thank you so much for making this for us with less Daz skills, for giving us so generosly of your time and knowledge! heartsmiley I'm trying this tomorrow if I have time, I work 24/7 almost on my art and manage my socialmedia pages all about my art, I have todays render to ph sh fix, w mark and post smiley, but I hope I will have time for your tutorial also tomorrow as I can't wait to test it and see my Lara for G8.1 in a victory render in the g9 base underwear to celebrate with! heartBut if not I'll try it on Saturday!  laugh

• tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Thank you so much for making this for us with less Daz skills, for giving us so generosly of your time and knowledge! heartsmiley I'm trying this tomorrow if I have time, I work 24/7 almost on my art and manage my socialmedia pages all about my art, I have todays render to ph sh fix, w mark and post smiley, but I hope I will have time for your tutorial also tomorrow as I can't wait to test it and see my Lara for G8.1 in a victory render in the g9 base underwear to celebrate with! heartBut if not I'll try it on Saturday!  laugh

You're very welcome ... looking forward to seeing your new character :-) 

• tombraider4evertombraider4ever Posts: 659
    edited October 2022

Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

I'm working on this now, on the G8.1 part, and I'm stuck at this, there is now way as I can see to edit the reverse deformations, it says no, how to edit to yes? I followed the tutorial, but I get no such edit option, see the screenshot here:  https://sta.sh/018ow321c7vp , didn't work to post screen, see link please. 

Post edited by tombraider4ever on
  • tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

I'm working on this now, on the G8.1 part, and I'm stuck at this, there is now way as I can see to edit the reverse deformations, it says no, how to edit to yes? I followed the tutorial, but I get no such edit option, see the screenshot here:  https://sta.sh/018ow321c7vp , didn't work to post screen, see link please. 

Repeeted the previous step, see this screenshot: https://sta.sh/01vc94p9mqrv . And I still got no on reverse deformations. I followed it uptil now, I'm on 4.15, does that matter? I don't want the full 4.21, if I must I'll download the beta, that way I'll know that I can keep 4.15 as it is, right? it never overwrites the full version, is that correct? I will wait until you replies if 4.21 is needed. Or if you know a way to edit that reverse thing in morph loader, I see no way at all. 

• I just found that I can right click and get yes lol, so I'm past that. Now I wonder what polish morphs means, sorry for all the questions. 

• tombraider4ever said:

I just found that I can right click and get yes lol, so I'm past that. Now I wonder what polish morphs means, sorry for all the questions. 

Okay you found it! Many options in the creation tools are found via right-click and/or double-click type.

Polish morphs, to polish anything, that's one of my terms for making things look pretty ;-) Give the dials some colour [if desired] set min value to "0" [unless one really ever wants to use less of the morph - usually looks terrible though], make sure the paths and type are correct.

• For this project, no you don't need the latest edition of D/S.

• Success! It worked! laughThank you so much for making thisheart, I'm so grateful for your tutorialheart, such a relief to know that my Lara models for G8.1 aren't closed out of the G9 wardrobe! laugh One of my G8.1 Lara models are wearing the bikini now, I edited the camo material as it was so dark to a lighter gray to get both a grey texture and a any color texture, used the light gray camo on the bottom part (recolored blue), and the black which I made more gray, on the top so now she's wearing a sort of TR  Nevada outfit (that was blue camo pants w a grey/black top), making a render of it and posting at my pages and here when I'm finished w the render, ph shop fixing and w marking, to prove my success with this! heart

• tombraider4ever said:

Success! It worked! laughThank you so much for making thisheart, I'm so grateful for your tutorialheart, such a relief to know that my Lara models for G8.1 aren't closed out of the G9 wardrobe! laugh One of my G8.1 Lara models are wearing the bikini now, I edited the camo material as it was so dark to a lighter gray to get both a grey texture and a any color texture, used the light gray camo on the bottom part (recolored blue), and the black which I made more gray, on the top so now she's wearing a sort of TR  Nevada outfit (that was blue camo pants w a grey/black top), making a render of it and posting at my pages and here when I'm finished w the render, ph shop fixing and w marking, to prove my success with this! heart

Wonderful, so happy for you laugh

Success is such a nice feeling laugh

• Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Success! It worked! laughThank you so much for making thisheart, I'm so grateful for your tutorialheart, such a relief to know that my Lara models for G8.1 aren't closed out of the G9 wardrobe! laugh One of my G8.1 Lara models are wearing the bikini now, I edited the camo material as it was so dark to a lighter gray to get both a grey texture and a any color texture, used the light gray camo on the bottom part (recolored blue), and the black which I made more gray, on the top so now she's wearing a sort of TR  Nevada outfit (that was blue camo pants w a grey/black top), making a render of it and posting at my pages and here when I'm finished w the render, ph shop fixing and w marking, to prove my success with this! heart

Wonderful, so happy for you laugh

Success is such a nice feeling laugh

heartYep, amazing feeling! smiley Thank you so much again for this, so grateful for your help! smiley  I made a render w my Lara model for G8.1 in the free G9 outfit, ph shop fixed and w marked today, and it's released here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=532579805544176&set=a.510279051107585 . I have a twitter and instagram page also if you are not on facebook, let me know and I'll give you links to those! heartsmiley

• I could see the image at the Facebook link, thank you. I'm not officially on Facebook - apparently they don't think my name is real so that's their problem ;-) 

• Great News! The making of autofit clones OF G9 for All the Genesis clans is very easy.

For eg.

Genesis - load figure, base resolution, 0 subdivisions

no geografts.

Export out figure, name it for making clothing with.

Import in that .obj file.

Make clothing of Genesis on Genesis. Save it.

Can now delete it off of Genesis.

Load G9, load the clothing of Genesis unto G9 - use the provided Genesis clone.

HIDE all except that new clothing shaped to G9, export it out as .obj named for the autofit clone

Select Genesis and bring in the .obj via Morph Loader - make the morph, polish the morph [modifier/clone, etc.], save the morph. Done.

Then Genesis can wear G9's clothing :-)

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

Thank you! This worked right out of the gate :)

Laurie

• AllenArt said:

Thank you! This worked right out of the gate :)

Laurie

You're very welcome. I for one am very happy with how all the Genesis clones for G9 were made by the Company -- much better than the ones released with 8.

• Thank you for the tutorial. Will try it out as soon as possible.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    edited November 2022

Genesis 8.1 wearing all clothing from G9 - even G9's eyebrows, made possible with a clone made from Catherine3678ab's fantastic tutorial  ;). And trust me...if I can do it, ANYONE can. LOL.

G8.1 Wearing G9.png
    700 x 1000 - 857K
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AllenArt said:

Genesis 8.1 wearing all clothing from G9 - even G9's eyebrows, made possible with a clone made from Catherine3678ab's fantastic tutorial  ;). And trust me...if I can do it, ANYONE can. LOL.

Fantastic! Thanks for the feedback :-) 

• Thank you so much for this...I just made my first G9 purchase with the megabundle on super sale today for Daz+ members and I'll be able to use the clothes for my 8.1 characters. Woot!

• You're quite welcome :-) That was a great price wasn't it! I got the megabundle too :-)

• smoke14smoke14 Posts: 246

Thank you for the tutorial. It was very easy to follow & I now have G9 clones for G8M & G8F. I appreciate your efforts to make this possible.