dForce static surface adjust friction - where is it?

I've read information about adjusting the friction for a dForce static object, but I can't find where I do that. I know that I need to select the object and go to Edit > Object > Geometry > Add dForce Modifier: Static Surface. But then what? Where do I go to edit the Friction settings?

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Except Environments Settins defined in the Simulation Settings Tab, all dForce physics are define per surface, in the Surfaces Tab. IF your object has Iray Uber used on its Surface(s), then once you added the static or dynamic Surface Modifier, you'll see new entries in the Surfaces of your object. It's at the very bottom of the list of Surfaces : Base Color, Diffuse Roughness, [...] just after Visible in Simulation.

One of the physics properties is called : Friction.

I think this is what you are referring to.

Everything is beautifully explained here : dForce - Start Here. A patient reading of this invaluable thread, and some clean summary notes on a document, and you will be the king of dForce ;)

P.S :

- dForce Static Surfaces Modifier is just used to define the friction of an object more or less. The result you'd get by using this modifier could also be achieved by modifying instead the friction of dynamic objects (cloth, hair, any soft-body basically) rather than the static ones (a Genesis, a table, any hard body basically).

- But dForce Static Surfaces becomes interesting if, for example, you want a cloth to slide more on the torso than on the arms of a Genesis. Or if you want to avoid simulation errors around nails area for example, by raising the Collision Offset value.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambo said:

Except Environments Settins defined in the Simulation Settings Tab, all dForce physics are define per surface, in the Surfaces Tab. IF your object has Iray Uber used on its Surface(s), then once you added the static or dynamic Surface Modifier, you'll see new entries in the Surfaces of your object. It's at the very bottom of the list of Surfaces : Base Color, Diffuse Roughness, [...] just after Visible in Simulation.

One of the physics properties is called : Friction.

I think this is what you are referring to.

Everything is beautifully explained here : dForce - Start Here. A "quick" read and clear notes taken on a document, and you'll be the king of dForce ;)

P.S :

- dForce Static Surfaces Modifier is just used to define the friction of an object more or less. The result you'd get by using this modifier could also be achieved by modifying instead the friction of dynamic objects (cloth, hair, any soft-body basically) rather than the static ones (a Genesis, a table, any hard body basically).

- But dForce Static Surfaces becomes interesting if, for example, you want a cloth to slide more on the torso than on the arms of a Genesis. Or if you want to avoid simulation errors around nails area for example, by raising the Collision Offset value.

Thanks.