Script that adds dForce Modifier to the selection [SOLVED] Thanks Omniflux !

hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649

I have only once seen a cloth bundle that came with such a thumbnail. It was the equivalent of going through Edit > Geometry > add dForce Modifier : Dynamic Surface.

Unfortunately, I can't remember or find which bundle it was. Could someone please help me find a way to create a thumbnail that would allow the end-user to add dForce modifier to the current selection in a single click ?

Post edited by hansolocambo on

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

Richard Haseltine,could you please move this thread to the Daz Script Developer Discussion forum? As I found a script that does just that so I guess it's more a thread about scripting.

The script I found adds a dForce Modifier : Dynamic Surface but only to an asset fitted to Genesis. I'd need to ask someone if there's a way to modify the script so that it applies the Modifier to the current selection, whether it's a prop or a fitted cloth. Basically to any 3D object. 

Thanks.

• What script is that? I assume it isn't encrypted?

• So am curious.
    Why wouldn't you use Visual Menus?
    That program is enormously under-used IMO.
    screenshot shows you can setup custom actions as a one click (access via shortcut to open your own custom ui panel or use one of bitwelders precanned UIs).
    Use this for everything incl Geom editor clear verts comand,  clear dForce sim, change figure hgt -and list goes on and on and on with what you can do.

Only issue going forward maybe is how will Visual Menus work with DS5 and new QT.

custom actions.JPG
    1110 x 732 - 120K
    edited November 2022

What script is that? I assume it isn't encrypted?

encrypted indeed. From 3feetwolf : How to Make Clothes Fit Genitals.

Too bad it doesn't add dForce dynamics to any selected object. But it's lready very useful as it is.

Why wouldn't you use Visual Menus?

I tried it once on a friend's PC. I thought you could have those great customizable menus open at all time (like any Daz Tab). But it seems that when once a Visual Menu is open, you can't access the rest of the interface, the viewport, etc. It's menus called by hotkeys.

This bundle seems excellent... but I simply haven't yet found someone who is enthusiastic enough about it to convince me. I spent maybe 15 minutes trying to customize one and abandonned. Didn't feel very intuitive.

I'll give it a try again. You might be right. Could be a solution to make Daz' interface more efficient.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 872
    edited November 2022

But it seems that when once a Visual Menu is open, you can't access the rest of the interface, the viewport, etc. It's menus called by hotkeys.

At first no access to main DS UI seemed bad.  But pretty soon found that i got more trained and when i needed a function i knew exactly the hotkey to bring up the UI and then quick click icon i needed.  Didn't need main DS toolbar for that second it took to VM.  Efficiency is now next level.  And bonus is you don't need to know anywhere near as many hotkeys as you would for Blender.  Cos you make your own custom UIs if you want and lay them out how you want - each with tons of icons as you decide.

but I simply haven't yet found someone who is enthusiastic enough about it to convince me.

Could be a solution to make Daz' interface more efficient.

If i had one recco as a long-time VM power user, it is pick or make a UI and start by adding all your scripts and DAZ functions that you use more often.  One hotkey later there is your menu menu.  Use that for a month and see if you don't find yourself using second nature-like.  Also make my own Icons/color coding to help make things so much more efficient.

Anyone who is visual oriented (many artists) owes it to themselves to setup one menu at least and use it for a while.  Quite possibly, soon you'll add al kinds of scripts like export to OBJ, save pose, anything dForce, chg figure hgt to this ot that, change HDRI sun angle, your favorite poses, and pretty much anything you use alot.

Can be alot of work initially but the efficiency for any repeat-use goes up exponentially for long-time users.  Think it's that setup that dissuades alot of people.  Too me this is just a more visual way of scripting (using other people works) --  just so much faster.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • Yes, indeed, it's the prospect of having to configure Visual Menus that is a little scary at first. But I will give it another go.

Thanks Saxa -- SD for sharing your insightful perspective on the subject  ୧(´‿`)୨

• Hope it eventually transforms and empowers your creative world as much as it did mine. 

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 371

Script to do this attached.

Requested thumbnail not included, you're on your own for that one. :)

dsa
    dsa
    Add dForce Dynamic Surface Modifier.dsa
    329B
    edited November 2022

I should have mentioned you can just go to Window -> Workspace -> Customize, find the action in the left pane under "dForce Simulation", and add it to a menu or toolbar in the right pane where it is easier to access.

Then you don't even need the script.

Post edited by Omniflux on
    edited November 2022

just go to Window -> Workspace -> Customize

There's no search in the Customize DAZ Studio window. I used it a few times, but I get very quickly tired of this prehistoric UI where one needs to spend forever looking for something. It's not user friendly : at all. But sure it can be done from there yeah. Having the script, creating a Custom Action from that, will make things easier.

Thank you so ! much Omniflux that is so very cool to share that script. I'm recreating nice big hover previews for all clothes I have. Simulating the cloth on 4 characters, to see differents texture options, the front, the back, etc. Nice big 640x640 thumbnails rather than the tiny little 256x256 that Daz still forces people to use in 2022 when I know nobody around with less than 27' screens. I'm configuring the Surface Properties of about 30 clothes per day. I dForce simulate about 120 clothes per day. So : I need to add dForce to tons of assets and this script is gonna save me a nice amount of clicks ;)

Tested : I can confirm that it freakin' works. Cheers Omniflux. You definitely made my day week month !

٩(。•́‿•̀。)۶

All right 5:30AM, time to go  (∪。∪)。。。zzz

You might also be interested in this script then.

It is based on the sample Render to Asset Icon script and will render a new asset icon and asset tip for the asset currently selected in the content library pane.

It uses the currently active render engine (which in my case is usually Iray).

Edit the variables at the top of the script to change the dimensions.

Bonus, this is the only script I have written which includes an icon.

zip
    zip
    Render to Asset Icon.zip