I'm really glad that we have Gen9, but we need faster Dforce stopping time.

I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 1600x to a 3700x, 16G ram to 32G, and an Nvidia 1070 8G to a 2060 12G. Did all that help things? Sort of. Dforce is just as stupid at stopping when things blow up as it was when it was introduced. Other than that, yes. Not an eye-blowing experience. But come on guys! I expect this treatment from Microsoft, and crappy mobile app developers. OK, fine. I'll just sulk here for a bit.

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

we need faster Dforce stopping time

If dForce spring node calculation (before simulation actually begins) is slow (and can't be canceled), reduce in the Surface Tab all your dForce Surfaces' collision offset to a smaller value. Around 0.8 usually is fine enough.

Or, to be more accurate, run the simulation once. Then stop it. Open the log.txt and look for the last line with : Shortest spring had length. This is followed by a number. Let's say 0.067. Set a collision offset that's slightly higher than that number, let's say 0.7. The Spring Node calculation will be instant, simulation will start.

Dforce is just as stupid at stopping when things blow up as [...]

To help with explosions and speed :

- Hide all body parts, hairs (very heavy geometry), shoes, jewelry, etc. that won't get in contact with the object to simulate. Everything will be faster because there are less vertices to compute. Thus stopping will be a bit easier. The option to simulate selected is nice but doesn't allow to hide body parts. And doing that makes a difference in speed.

- If your objects tend to explode too often, change those Surface values : Stretch Stiffness : 0.55 ; Bend Stiffness : 0.05.  This usually helps.

- do NOT simulate when any part of the cloth goes through the body. Marvelous Designer does an outstanding job at taking care of that, dForce... not at all. It's sometimes preferable to set Start Bones From Memorized Pose to ON in the Simulation Settings Tab, as usually the default pose has been well made by the content creator to avoid any intersections.

- In order to get a way more stable simulation, you can change, in the Simulation Tab : Frames Per Second (FPS) Multiplier, from its default value 2, to a higher value. 10 is a bit slower to simulate, but avoids a lot of collision problems.

- You can also change the Subframes value from its default 8, to a higher value (up to 16). This will also improve collision issues.

dForce offers tons of options. It's worth going patiently through all of them. Once you understand what they mean, it helps a ton to 1/ get rid of problems 2/ create Surface properties that will eventually behave much better than the default Surface proposed with the cloth/hair bundle.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Short springs (edges) compared to the offset value can themselves cause explosions - dForce keeps stretching the spring to meet the minimum offset, so it then adds energy to the spring, which the simulation tries to diffuse away and shorten the spring, so it then stretches the spring to meet the offset stipulation, which adds energy, ... - eventually the additional energy causes the whole simualtion to run amok. A long pause for the spring messages is a sign that soemthing is wrong and neds adjusting (though sometimes it will not be an issue in simulation if a weight map is excluding the areas with the short edges from the simulation - I don't think the initial analysis takes account of that).