Building a Dream Laptop for Rendering in Daz- techie help needed

Hey, all.

So I am a lucky gal, and my hubby is buying me a new laptop for Christmas... as soon as I tell him what I need. :p

So, for health reasons, I can't sit long at a standard computer, which means I need the best laptop rig I can get. (Ok, so I don't NEED the BEST, but hubby offered...) I currently only use Daz Sudio, Blender, Quixel Mixer, Photoshop, and Topaz Studio 2 products. I don't run any gaming programs.

So if you could build your dream laptop, without buying things you don't need, or that the programs won't even use- what would you get?

Comments

• Wow, it's Christmas already!

At least you need a Nvidia GPU and plenty of RAM.

• drucdruc Posts: 399

This is what I bought and had delivered last Friday. I am in Australia so price is AUS Dollars. It is also a PC (desktop) not a laptop. I modified their gaming box with suggestions from this forum. The Australian online store is PCCase Gear. I am sure in the country where you are there would be similar stores where you can modify a computer to suit your needs.

PCCG Intel Arcane Gaming System
    - Intel Core i7 12700 Processor
    - Phanteks Glacier One 240MP D-RGB AIO CPU Cooler OEM PCCG Edition
    - ASUS Prime B660-Plus DDR4 Motherboard
    - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Vision OC LHR 12GB
    - Team T-Force Delta RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4 Black
    - Crucial P5 Plus M.2 NVMe Gen4 SSD 1TB
    - Seagate Barracuda 4TB ST4000DM004 3.5in Hard Drive
    - Phanteks Revolt Pro Full Modular Gold 1000W Power Supply
    - Phanteks Eclipse P360A Airflow D-RGB Tempered Glass Black
    - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM DVD
    - Standard Assembly
    - 2 Year Warranty
    $2885 plus delivery

I had to roll back the driver for the NVIDIA card to use Dforce simulations. A critical apraisal, it runs Daz studio well (but my old PC would not render in Iray so I don't have a reliable comparison) An Iray render with 7 G8 figures and scene can take 3 hours. A single figure is much quicker. render settings are 3840 x 2160 or reversed for portrait

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

You can't build a laptop to the same extend as a desktop (like drucs amazing build)

The first question is, do you want a LAPtop or a laptop that's a desktop replacement? Some really powerful laptops are no longer easy to put on your lap, and are more for easy transportation.

For instance a 15 inch laptop and a 17 inch are big difference. I can't put a 17inch on my lap. But they are sometimes more powerful because of the extra space.

In general you want the fastest GPU card on it, so a 3070/3080 probably and as much VRAM you can get. If you need to choose a card with more VRAM but is less powerful, go for that. Daz is VRAM hungry above all, especially if your scenes are bigger (more than 1 figure and a simple backdrop)

RAM is important, but not as big as some say here, 16Gb has served me well sofar, but if you can get more, or if your laptop can be expanded later, do it!

Go for a screen that's 120Hz at least, and sRGB.

And if you can, check your chosen laptop in a shop, go and see it and feel it. How is this build quality? The screen? How does the keyboard feel (big one!)

Good luck!

• @druc I'll share your specs with my hubby. He is the IT guy. Maybe he can get close on a laptop. Thank you for sharing.

@Paintbox I don't mind the larger laptop size. I won't be taking the laptop anywhere, and I use a pillow on my lap to raise the screen height to a more ergonomic level. In my discussions (more me listening than participating, lol) with hubby, he hasn't mentioned VRAM, so I will bring this up to him. Thanks for the input.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Yeah VRAM is the most important component for rendering with Iray in Daz. I would go for at least 8Gb as minimum if you want to make intricate scenes with more figures and lots of details for example. Especially the new G9 might eat up some of that just for textures :)

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

LoreMistress Izaria said:

@druc I'll share your specs with my hubby. He is the IT guy. Maybe he can get close on a laptop. Thank you for sharing.

@Paintbox I don't mind the larger laptop size. I won't be taking the laptop anywhere, and I use a pillow on my lap to raise the screen height to a more ergonomic level. In my discussions (more me listening than participating, lol) with hubby, he hasn't mentioned VRAM, so I will bring this up to him. Thanks for the input.

Whatever you do, don't click my system links. It will just make you jealous. 

Something like this will do you. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.59 GHz... 64GB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card. You can find a laptop like that you be golden.

• AgitatedRiot said:

@druc I'll share your specs with my hubby. He is the IT guy. Maybe he can get close on a laptop. Thank you for sharing.

Whatever you do, don't click my system links. It will just make you jealous. 

Something like this will do you. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.59 GHz... 64GB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card. You can find a laptop like that you be golden.

I'm pretty sure he was looking at the Ryzen. I'll share these specs with him. TY.

• TamunaTamuna Posts: 82

Hey, all.

So I am a lucky gal, and my hubby is buying me a new laptop for Christmas... as soon as I tell him what I need. :p

So, for health reasons, I can't sit long at a standard computer, which means I need the best laptop rig I can get. (Ok, so I don't NEED the BEST, but hubby offered...) I currently only use Daz Sudio, Blender, Quixel Mixer, Photoshop, and Topaz Studio 2 products. I don't run any gaming programs.

So if you could build your dream laptop, without buying things you don't need, or that the programs won't even use- what would you get?

I've switched to laptop earlier this year: Asus Rog Strix Scar 17.3, with 16GB graphics card. This one specifically. It's out of stock on my link, but you can see all the specs and my own review - the one titled "Great for 3D Art" https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-rog-strix-scar-17-g733qs-xs98-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235629?Item=N82E16834235629

Long story short: so far so good. Renders are quick and it has yet to fail me laugh

I hope this helps

• Tamuna said:

Hey, all.

I've switched to laptop earlier this year: Asus Rog Strix Scar 17.3, with 16GB graphics card. This one specifically. It's out of stock on my link, but you can see all the specs and my own review - the one titled "Great for 3D Art" https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-rog-strix-scar-17-g733qs-xs98-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235629?Item=N82E16834235629

Long story short: so far so good. Renders are quick and it has yet to fail me laugh

I hope this helps

That one looks familiar. I'll pass the link to hubby. He won't tell me what he ends up getting me, since it's a Christmas present. :D