dforce Sea Salt - why does it drag the entire scene?

Every time I try to use dforce Sea Salt, the moment I add it, the whole scene becomes impossible to use especially with IRay Preview. Other previews also slow down drastically. I use an entry level RTX 3060 (I have two of them, I mean, 2 PCs with 3060) and I see this issue with both. 

Further, I use other dForce hair, or just regular hair, never face these issues. 

The scene does not matter. I could have an empty scene with just the figure and Sea Salt, and boom, everything becomes insanely slow to use.

Have others noticed this? is there some setting that makes this happen with Sea Salt?

Product link. dforce Sea Salt For Genesis 3 & 8 Female(s) | Daz 3D

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Strand Based Hair aren't known to be the fastest to display. I struggled with my precedent rig (i7-7800x, RTX 2070S), I struggle less with my new rig (i9-12900K, RTX 3090), but with strand base hair I still do.

Sea Salt hair loads by default about 1,836,000 vertices of hair. Compared to the 16,000 polygons of Genesis, I let you imagine how power hungry that is. With a line tesselation of 2 those hair go up to 3,450,000 vertices. That's insane. Especially to simulate...

If your PC slows to a crawl it's because those hair are just too "heavy" for your computer rig. If you go for Strand Base, go for shorter hairs. It'll always be a bit less to manage. Or better buy only polygonal (hair card) hairs. Less resource-intensive.

Sea Salt are dForce Strand Base Hair (PA only) so you can't even edit them. chevybabe25's hairs are nice but necessitate some serious power to compute. Even on my rig simulating those hairs is very slow.

I don't think there's a solution to this problem, as far as I know :/ Except a beefed up rig.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news  (*_ _)人

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

damn I feel stupid

I saw the thread title and only reading it realised you meant a hair blush

I was thinking mmmm Dforce condiments wink

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,244

Strand Hair is heavy :(

I have tried to post weights with all the promos so you can judge what you can and can not run. It does work a whole better in the newer versions of Daz Studio with the Iray preview (It no longer requires a high tesselation to see it).  It was also new tech at the time and I have done a much better job at attempting to lower in weight on newer styles. They are still heavy in comparison to some other vendors or poly hair.. but theres always trade offs.

• I avoid Dforce hair for this reason, it drags the system down regardless of GPU,  tried running Daz from its own SSD drive with fast read writes and it still dragged?

Is there a way you can turn Dforce hair into normal hair without making it a prop?

That would be so much better!

• @hansolocambo

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have blown my budget this year and last year on the two RTX 3060 computers. Next year, I will try and buy the RTX 3090 or RTX 4090 or something more powerful. 

Your explanation makes perfect sense though.

@WendyLuvsCatz

dForce condiments, lol. alright then :) 

@chevybabe25

No problemo. It is what it is. I love the hair. I am now simply adding the hair last, and then quickly go for a render. It's not ideal because, the figures look odd with the bald head, but, as others have pointed out, just got to work with it. 

@rhye_7b205b2b74

I am limiting its use to low intensity scenes, so, somehow, until I buy a more powerful computer, making it work :)

As always, thank you to everyone for helping me out. Apperciated. 

Jay. 

• I have a 3090 and find strand hair to be more irritating. If I really HAVE to use it, I usually build the scene first and add hair after posing everything.

Otherwise, I prefer other dforce hairs which aren't strand based.