Basics: Origin of object shifts, rotation follows, and other

This may be very basic, but i had this problem:

- While trying to place a guitar on the back of someone, the position of the control elements of rotation/translation etc shifted. Rotating would now rotate around the new origin.

1. How did i do that?

2. How to reset to the default origin, if it happened and got overlooked?

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

If the guitar is a prop, and it's been saved properly, it should load at the center of the scene.

If it's an asset / accessory, then it's parented to a bone. Which is maybe why moving it around causes trouble.

You could use the Joint Editor tool to delete bones if there are any.

If there are none, the same tool enable you to move the object's pivot.

Best way to do that though is thanks to the ultra useful free script by Delta X15 : Move Origin Tool.

As I can't find a working link anywhere, I uploaded the script on GDrive for you :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bBxrSwLpJGNivF3Pk4BhEMiyB2KnWl2b/view?usp=sharing

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Thank you for indicating. 'Pivot point of the object' appears to be the term i should use. The location it gets added to the scene at remains some issue as well, but that's less immanent for the simple stuff i do right now.

As far as i am aware of, i just used the built-in translation and rotation tools with a mouse. Maybe i have pressed some key, or moved something in the scene tab (?) by accident, who knows.

I've had this a couple of times already, so the pivot point of the object "suddenly" had shifted, and not only was the rotation now happening around another center (different radius + center), but due to the controls having shifted location, it also has been more difficult or even impossible to manipulate the objects position and orientation in a meaningful way at all. Usually i would have deleted the object then, "usually" meaning at a very early stage of diving into things, rather testing some stuff and creating simple example scenes.

So i'll read some of that manual now...

- How to change the pivot point if i need it.

- How to reset it to the default for that object.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

[...] so the pivot point of the object "suddenly" had shifted

Pivot is defined by the content creator and it won't "suddenly" change using basic end user tools such as move, rotate, etc. Pivot has to be changed using the Joint Editor Tool or the script I gave you. So no worries, if you don't use those kind of a bit more "complex" tools, there's no reason for your asset to behave weirdly, except if it's not been saved properly by the content creator. A screenshot would help understand what you're facing here.

Use OBS eventually. Record a few seconds of your manipulations at the moment when "this" is happening. I'm sure a small video or an image with some indications would help people here to eventually give you clear explanation of what you might be doing wrong. Or again, what's eventually wrong with whatever bundle you're using.

How to change the pivot point

Move pivot (but again use the script I gave in a precedent post on this thread, it's MUCH much better) :

https://www.versluis.com/2015/05/how-to-move-the-pivot-point-of-an-object-in-daz-studio/

You could also (although I'm really not sure of what you're doing and what's wrong) :

Create a Null object. Create > New Null. Place it where you want the pivot to be. Then parent your object to that Null.

Now all moving/rotating/(scale) manipulations you'll do on that Null, will affect its parented child(ren)

How to reset

There's no way to reset a pivot to its default position as far as I'm aware of. Simply reload the object and there you go. It's "Reseted".

more difficult or even impossible to manipulate the objects

One last thing. If a loaded accessory (meaning a parented or rigged object) behaves not the way you'd want it to, it's probably because it has a rig (aka skeleton/armature). If you want to "convert" that accessory (also called in Daz a Smart Prop sometimes) to a basic prop, not parented, not rigged, so that it can be moved freely without any influence, you can :

- Select your object. Click on the Joint Editor Tool (Alt+Shift+J). From the Scene Tab, click on the hip bone. Then right-click > Select Children. Then use that little script to delete all selected bones : Delete Selected Bones

- Then if your object is parented, unparent it : Select the object in the Scene Tab > Right Click > Unparent.

When done, your object will be a vulgar prop than can be moved freely around as it doesn't receive any influence from a parent, or a rig anymore.

N.B : Please be aware that doing so, you change the default behavior of objects. But it's only modifications in your scene, the saved asset remains untouched. Also note that I'm not advising you to do that as I prefer to think that content creators try their best to provide a well done bundle. BUT if something's wrong with the bundle then changing a stubborn object into a simple prop can be a solution to gain a complete control over its manipulation.

Post edited by hansolocambo on