is this hair stand AND polygonal?

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

I doubt it's Strand Based Hair + hair cards. You can have very thin hairs flying around with an opacity map containing thin threads. Or with thin hairs modeled in addition to the larger hair cards.

I lost interest in OOT hair a long time ago. He/she was and still is doing some of the best looking hair textures. But given how EASY it is to prepare the Surface for simulation and to add a dForce Modifier, I just don't understand how, so much ! time after soft-body simulation finally appeared in Daz, someone can still sell hairs that behave like bricks and need morphs to be vaguely shaped to a pose other than a standing pose.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Elderly computers is why. I have the lovely Linday SLMH, and that takes 15-17 minutes to dforce if everything else except the character in the scene is hidden. That isn't practical for every scene. Or many scenes, especially if you need to re-do it because of a pose change. No SBH I have simulates in an acceptable time at an acceptable density. So OOT hair is for me
  • hansolocambo said:

I doubt it's Strand Based Hair + hair cards. You can have very thin hairs flying around with an opacity map containing thin threads. Or with thin hairs modeled in addition to the larger hair cards.

I lost interest in OOT hair a long time ago. He/she was and still is doing some of the best looking hair textures. But given how EASY it is to prepare the Surface for simulation and to add a dForce Modifier, I just don't understand how, so much ! time after soft-body simulation finally appeared in Daz, someone can still sell hairs that behave like bricks and need morphs to be vaguely shaped to a pose other than a standing pose.

Simulation can't be "art directed", at least not easily - it puts the hair where it wants buy physics may not accord with the desires of the artist. I hope morphs won't entirely go away, although I also want dForce where possible to cope with the situations the creator didn't provide morphs for.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

I have been playing with dForce quite a lot lately and it is relatively possible to keep the original shapes of some hair strands, retain the overall shape. The user can also edit Weight Maps if necessary to fix a bit more hair that would tend to move too much during the simulation.

Content creators could take 10 minutes to create a different surface for the first polygons of each hair strand. Most hair card making solutions (that I know of) have an option to do exactly that automatically. It's very easy to do it when you build the hair in a modeling application. But if the content creator doesn't do it, then the end user has to go through a lot of hair to create a surface group for those first polygons to make sure the hair won't fall down. It's a headache to do that when hair's already finished, and depending on the complexity, it can take a lot of time (sometimes selection from a UV Editor helps a bit...)

I don't know... a lot of talented hair creators have adapted to dForce. It's so exciting ! to be able to simulate hair beautifully for any pose. Lindsay does a great job at that, with the hair shape, texture (objectively gorgeous) and also dForce. I just wish OOT would have adapted as well. But I've been waiting for years, so I decided it's a lost cause.

Doesn't matter, I should stop whining and make my own hair ;)

I hope morphs won't entirely go away

Sure, it's definitely useful. Keeping that but also making a surface for scalp, another for hair(s) as usual, and a final one for the roots of each strand. It seems so obvious to me that I wonder why it hasn't become a general habit already among all hair creators.

Post edited by hansolocambo on