Genesis 9 Seams Issues and Black Squiglys with Hair

GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,493

I'm not trying to be snarky here and presume user error on my7 part, but I could use some help with the why this is happening bit. All of the setup here, the pose, the makeup, the skin materials are essentially default products. I'm wondering why she is rendering with such obviously visible seams since I know that in general this is not allowed as a product standard? Could it somehow be my lighting or camera setup? 

Please educate me if you can.

Regards,

Brent

G9Seams.png
1000 x 1300 - 2M
Post edited by Greybro on

Comments

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2022

You might have selected the wrong uvset for the arms, because not only is there a seam, but the arm pixels look wrong. I would also check the other uvset parameters, like offset, tiling, scaling. Make sure these are either zero or at default values.

And the scraggly lines on the forehead are from the hair cap. The forehead size needs to be adjusted a little larger. If you make the hair adjustments when the iRay preview is turned on, you can see how much you need to adjust.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • Try changing Instance Optimisation in render Settings, that will rset the origin and may well fix at least the hair issue.

• I have these same issues with any expression that scrunches the forehead or moves the eyebrows.  It occurs with the Soft Curls Ponytail using the Victoria 9 Model.

• Figured I better attach some examples.

Smile.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Neutral.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,493

Richard Haseltine said:

Try changing Instance Optimisation in render Settings, that will rset the origin and may well fix at least the hair issue.

These were all set to Auto. I presume setting them to Memory gives me the best chance of no seams? I think something must be awry with the default materials, possibly some missing normals or something on my install?

Pentarian said:

Figured I better attach some examples.

Did you just scale the hair down to fix this? Regards, Brent

This sort of shows that when I apply the default settings something apart from the main color map is just not being applied correctly for some reason. Shouldn't this product just work out of the box? It's not like I'm even adding anything 3rd part except for the pose which should not really effect the textures.

G9A-BG-3sm.png
    800 x 1040 - 1M

This sort of shows that when I apply the default settings something apart from the main color map is just not being applied correctly for some reason. Shouldn't this product just work out of the box? It's not like I'm even adding anything 3rd part except for the pose which should not really effect the textures.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624
    edited October 2022

The black squigglies have been around for awhile now.  For some reason OOT hair seems to cause it the most or at least in my experience. 

As far as your seam/texture problem I have no idea what is going on.  I tested all files included with V9 and did not have that issue.

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

I've had similar with the hair also.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070
    Have you manually checked that the arm textures being applied are correct? It's clear that the diffuse arm maps aren't matching with the torso. Is that how the character is loading for you?
    edited October 2022

Yes. The default material preset applies these I think.

g9feminine01_arms_d_1004

g9feminine01_arms_r_1004

g9feminine01_arms_so_1004

g9feminine01_arms_sss_1004

g9feminine01_arms_nm_1004

g9feminine01_arms_d_1004

g9feminine01_arms_r_1004

g9feminine01_arms_so_1004

g9feminine01_arms_sss_1004

g9feminine01_arms_nm_1004

You can clearly see the mismatch at the seams in the texture preview as well.

preview

totally.png
    598 x 560 - 302K

FenixPhoenix said:

Have you manually checked that the arm textures being applied are correct? It's clear that the diffuse arm maps aren't matching with the torso. Is that how the character is loading for you?

Yes. This is how she loads and it doesn't really change when I apply the default materials preset. Regards, Brent
  • j11011j11011 Posts: 32
    edited October 2022

black lines on the forehead are where the hair cap is intersecting the figure head mesh, the quick fix is changing the optimization under render settings, that may help, but not guaranteed, the proper solution is to fit the cap better to the figures head, sometimes the creator of the hair will include enough means to do it under the hairs Actor property (they are basically shape morphs), you switch to "Wire shaded" view mode (no other mode shows this), and then adjust the sliders till the cap is all around the head, not intersecting the head, sometimes the included morphs make the hair look bad from certain angles, cap surface distance from the figure head too great, makes the hair look like it is not growing grom the figures head but rather floating around it

I've also used Meshgrabber addon to fix the cap shape to fit better on the figure

attached are the pictures to illustrate how it looks, and it isn't a G9 problem, G8 and 8.1 have the same issues, I haven't really worked with earlier figures to say if those are affected as well

prob1.JPG
    665 x 459 - 28K
    prob2.JPG
    784 x 569 - 68K
    solution1.JPG
    810 x 561 - 78K
    solution2.JPG
    688 x 499 - 28K
    Post edited by j11011 on
    edited October 2022

UDim settings for the arms.

udims.png
    606 x 504 - 55K

j11011 said:

black lines on the forehead are where the hair cap is intersecting the figure head mesh, the quick fix is changing the optimization under render settings, that may help, but not guaranteed, the proper solution is to fit the cap better to the figures head, sometimes the creator of the hair will include enough means to do it under the hairs Actor property (they are basically shape morphs), you switch to "Wire shaded" view mode (no other mode shows this), and then adjust the sliders till the cap is all around the head, not intersecting the head, sometimes the included morphs make the hair look bad from certain angles, cap surface distance from the figure head too great, makes the hair look like it is not growing grom the figures head but rather floating around it

I've also used Meshgrabber addon to fix the cap shape to fit better on the figure

attached are the pictures to illustrate how it looks, and it isn't a G9 problem, G8 and 8.1 have the same issues, I haven't really worked with earlier figures to say if those are affected as well

All great suggestions. Thank you.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Scroll down to where it says UV Set on the arm surface.  Make sure it says Base Multi UDim.

Daventaki said:

Scroll down to where it says UV Set on the arm surface.  Make sure it says Base Multi UDim.

It does indeed say "Base Multi UDim"
    v9.png
    123 x 197 - 10K

I thought I'd just ensure I've even got the right product installed because even with 3rd party materials the seam is just monstrous.

seam

I do see an essentials update in my DIM so installing that now to see if it fixes anything.

BB

• PentarianPentarian Posts: 7
    edited October 2022

Greybro said:

Pentarian said:

Figured I better attach some examples.

Did you just scale the hair down to fix this? Regards, Brent

Hadn't found a fix as of yet.  I will probably try the mesh grabber tool as someone suggested.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • FalcoFalco Posts: 240

Greybro said:

j11011 said:

Some other potential causes/solutions are if you have the haircap/hair set to a different subd resolution than the character, for example if the character is set to subd 2 but the hair is set to 0.  The makes the likelyhood higher that they won't match exactly.  I go through the laborious process of separating the hair and haircap for hair products I use a lot so that I can match the haircap subd to the character without ending up with a 4 million polygon hair.  But for individual cases, just pulling the cap away from the character is faster.

Another thing that can cause it is if you have an extreme Focal Distance set on your camera, because your camera is essentially really far way, and then you're zooming in to compensate, so I think Iray starts doing optimization as if you're far away and intersections will show up.  

But since its G9, perhaps the topology is different from 8, so that's probably the most liklely reason for the mismatch

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,701

Look at the arm textures that are giving you trouble.  Are they pointing up and down, with the shoulders at the top of the map and the fingers at the bottom, or are they pointing left to right?

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070
    Given the names of the maps being loaded, it seems that, for whatever reason, Victoria 9 arm maps aren't being loaded and, instead, one of the maps from the genesis 9 essentials are loaded instead. Try manually swapping those g9femenine maps for Victoria 9's.

FenixPhoenix said:

Given the names of the maps being loaded, it seems that, for whatever reason, Victoria 9 arm maps aren't being loaded and, instead, one of the maps from the genesis 9 essentials are loaded instead. Try manually swapping those g9femenine maps for Victoria 9's.

The division between left and right are split in the middle so horizontal. I did verify that it is the V9 maps loaded.

Falco said:

Greybro said:

j11011 said:

Some other potential causes/solutions are if you have the haircap/hair set to a different subd resolution than the character, for example if the character is set to subd 2 but the hair is set to 0.  The makes the likelyhood higher that they won't match exactly.  I go through the laborious process of separating the hair and haircap for hair products I use a lot so that I can match the haircap subd to the character without ending up with a 4 million polygon hair.  But for individual cases, just pulling the cap away from the character is faster.

Another thing that can cause it is if you have an extreme Focal Distance set on your camera, because your camera is essentially really far way, and then you're zooming in to compensate, so I think Iray starts doing optimization as if you're far away and intersections will show up.  

But since its G9, perhaps the topology is different from 8, so that's probably the most liklely reason for the mismatch

We'll the DOF thing is a new one me and I was using DOF on my camera but as for the rest I load the preset. I made no changes so it always really bums me out when that kind of thing is in the default settings of a preset.

Update: Actually changing "Base Multi UDim" to "Base Single UDim" seemedto resolve the issue but again WHY does the preset load it in correctly?

3rd party products that have their own skins are proving harder to correct for. Ugh. I just wish this could all work out of the box as it should. That same tweak to the UDim doesn't fix this.

Werwulf.png
    692 x 850 - 274K

3rd party products that have their own skins are proving harder to correct for. Ugh. I just wish this could all work out of the box as it should. That same tweak to the UDim doesn't fix this.