What is the workflow for creating a head morph for the Genesis 9 figure?

AOBBAOBB Posts: 957

Hi,

I want to create some freebie head morphs for Genesis 9 but I am not sure how. I have sculpted in ZbrushCore a female head for the base Genesis 9 figure, so now I have a female head on an androgynous body. I started with the androgynous head (no feminine head dialed in at the start).

The position of the eyes of my character is somewhat lower and wider than that of the androgynous base figure, so I positioned the eyeballs in DS in their proper position (with my head morph dialed in of course) and then exported both eyes together in .obj format out of DS. Next I used the Morph Loader Pro to bring them back into DS as a morph. I zeroed the entire figure. When I dialed in to 100% the new eye morph the eyes landed much lower and wider than I initially positioned them (about twice as much as they were meant to shift).

I'm sure there will be more of such hurdles along the way, so I would really appreciate it if someone in the know (maybe from technical support or a PA) explained to me the process of creating a head morph for Genesis 9.

I have made many freebie head morphs for Genesis 8.1, so I have experience in creating them but Genesis 9 is a different story, especially given that the eyes and mouth are separate now.

This is the tutorial that taught me how to make head morphs for Genesis 8.1 (with some slight modifications that I introduced):

Edit: this tutorial shows morphs from morph kits baked into the custom character morph. This is not allowed, so please disregard this fragment of the tutorial. The proper way to include changes made to your character by using morph kits is explained by Richard Haseltine here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/602546/aobb-s-luminous-v4-for-g8-1f-aka-audrey-hepburn-no-materials-nor-textures-included/p2

I'm posting this link, so you can see what my process is and show me where it needs to be modified.

Thanks in advance! smiley

Regards,

AOBB

Post edited by AOBB on

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

I don't have Genesis 9, but I would say it is 100% the same workflow as before.

The basics are exactly the same. A rigged mesh with : geometry, bones, morphs.

If now Eyes and mouth are separate objects, it means that one has to make morph morphs.

Then I guess now it'll be for G9 : 1 FBM Body slider, 4 (hidden) PHM sliders for each separate head part : mouth,eyes,head, tears, all controlled by a 5th FHM Slider. And a last Ctrl slider that will act on FBM and FHM, thus all the aforementioned sliders.

More objects = more morphs to make = more sliders. But the technique behind all that remains the exact same as the one described in your video.

But again I'm just guessing here as I can't test what I'm saying.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

I'm going to bump this as I'm also experiencing issues adjusting rigging to the eyes. Similarly, I'm well aware of the procedure for G8.1/G8 etc. Some clue as to the proper workflow would be greatly appreciated.

hansolocambo said:

it means that one has to make morph morphs.

Seems OP already did that.

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 2022

AOBB said:

Hi,

I want to create some freebie head morphs for Genesis 9 but I am not sure how. I have sculpted in ZbrushCore a female head for the base Genesis 9 figure, so now I have a female head on an androgynous body. I started with the androgynous head (no feminine head dialed in at the start).

The position of the eyes of my character is somewhat lower and wider than that of the androgynous base figure, so I positioned the eyeballs in DS in their proper position (with my head morph dialed in of course) and then exported both eyes together in .obj format out of DS. Next I used the Morph Loader Pro to bring them back into DS as a morph. I zeroed the entire figure. When I dialed in to 100% the new eye morph the eyes landed much lower and wider than I initially positioned them (about twice as much as they were meant to shift).Thanks in advance! smiley

Regards,

AOBB

Not sure if this will help,but I found a vid on how to fix the G9 Eyes....I will try to find something on how to morph the G9 :-) :

Post edited by islandgurl31 on
  • AOBBAOBB Posts: 957

@islandgurl131 - thank you so much for your help! You are very kind. smileyyes I think I have figured out the eye problem (it is caused by autogenerated eye morphs) that I fix by "neutralizing" those morphs and replacing them with my own ones. The rest of process is the same as for G8.1 that I am well acquainted with, so I believe I am good to go with G9 now.

Once again, thank you for your kindness! heart

Cheers,

AOBB

@Frinkky - the problem with the eyes is caused by auto-generated morphs that don't work that great for (I'd say) most cases. Unhide all your morphs and you will see the auto-generated eye morph in the morph loader for the eyes once you dial in your custom character then pick Genesis 9 Eyes  in the scene tab. The way I block this morph is by going into the morphs settings (the sprocket wheel in the right upper corner of the morph dial),  select "Use Limits" and set them both (max and min) to 0%. Then I change the modifier type from autogenerated to modifier/shape and uncheck "Autofollow". That totally neutralizes the autogenerated morph.

As for your own, custom eye morph this tutorial will be helpful:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/assembling/tutorials/creating_morph_controlled_morphs/start

This is an older tutorial so the differences are:

Go into "Edit mode" by right clicking on your eye dial and picking "Edit morph" from the top of the pop up menu. Select your eye morph. Next right click again on it and at the bottom of the menu you will find "Show in Property Hierarchy" - select that. A new, floating window will open. Find your character (not eye!) morph and when you unfold it you will find "Link:" - drag from the Parameters tab you custom morph slider onto the "Link:" in the Property Hierarchy window and the (I think - I am writing this from memory) you need to do the same in Sub-components - click on the arrow next to it and it will unfold. Drag and drop the eye morph slider onto "Stage 2: Multiply/Divide". If it throw out a message that it cannot do it - no worries. Just hooking the eye morph to "Link:" should connect the motion of your custom eye morph to the character dial. 

Take this information with a big grain of salt. I learned to do this through trial and error and I am not saying this is the right way to do it or that this description is complete. Still, I hope I answered some of your questions. smiley

AOBB

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

This is all great information, thank you.

@Frinkky - you are welcome. smiley

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

The original tutorial that is posted is EXACTLY why I don't go to or buy from the site that posted it since they are telling users how to do things the wrong way and against the DAZ eula. Looking at all the positive responses it had at YT, makes you realize how many have done this the wrong way and sold or shared illegal morphs

• @AOBB thank you for that info... although it looks daunting lol...that is the only way to learn something new I guess through trial and error ! Thank U again for the info :-)

FSMCDesigns - I think that if DAZ or maybe even the PAs were more forthcoming with that kind of how-to-do-advanced-stuff information there would be less misunderstandings and things would be done the proper way.

islandgurl31 - you are welcome and believe me, once you go through this info by implementing it, you will "get" it real fast and you'll see that it is pretty straightforward. No worries. smiley

edited December 2022

I found on YouTube quite independently the same tutorial islandgurl31 found and posted in this thread about creating custom eye morphs and it basically does the same thing I figured out but in a simpler fashion, so please check out this Jay Versluis tutorial! smiley

Post edited by AOBB on