Can't create clones of and for g9

I like to create my own clones for auto-fit, so once G9 came out I decided to make ones for 8.1 and a general G9 clone.

Only, despite using a method I know works, neither a g8.1f clone for G9 NOR G9 clone for g81f works. Both complain about geometry being different.

This is VERY curious, not going to lie.

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

well then the "method you know that works" obviously doesnt work...

(who knows what the method is since it wasnt described in OP)

G9 has different geometry than 8 and 8.1 since it has more verticies/faces, so thats probably why "both complain about geometry being different"

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    edited October 2022

is G9 just double the density of G8 at base mesh resolution? (I ask because on G9 page on website, it says G9 has double mesh density)? If so, maybe just subdividing G8 could work to bring in line with G9 geometry.

probably fool proof method would be to just wrap one mesh over other.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • lilweep said:

G9 has different geometry than 8 and 8.1 since it has more verticies/faces, so thats probably why "both complain about geometry being different"

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/193296/freebie-how-to-create-a-v4-clone-and-transfer-other-figures-for-g8f-now-with-video This is the method used. Works from g1 to g8. So it SHOULD work.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

lilweep said:

is G9 just double the density of G8 at base mesh resolution? (I ask because on G9 page on website, it says G9 has double mesh density)? If so, maybe just subdividing G8 could work to bring in line with G9 geometry.

probably fool proof method would be to just wrap one mesh over other.

G9 is complete new mesh.

• Eboshijaana said:

I like to create my own clones for auto-fit, so once G9 came out I decided to make ones for 8.1 and a general G9 clone.

Only, despite using a method I know works, neither a g8.1f clone for G9 NOR G9 clone for g81f works. Both complain about geometry being different.

? what method are you using?

If the geometry is different possibly you've missed removing one of the several geografts. Base resolution.

• Catherine3678ab said:

Eboshijaana said:

If the geometry is different possibly you've missed removing one of the several geografts. Base resolution.

This method: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/193296/freebie-how-to-create-a-v4-clone-and-transfer-other-figures-for-g8f-now-with-video

I also used Dev versions for both, so there should be no alien geometry.

• Are you remembering to remove all the fitted add-ons?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Are you remembering to remove all the fitted add-ons?

Yep, the dev-load versions don't have them anyway. G8.1F has no eyelashes nor moisture and G9 has no teeth or eyes.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,248
    edited October 2022

Egaads, D/S is still exporting unselected mesh even if it is almost invisible -- Make sure that there are no "light meshes" also.

005 should not have happened.png
    1356 x 803 - 442K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • I don't think there was anything in the change log indicating otherwise.

• Okay, so I uninstalled and reinstalled G9, and now the clone creation works just fine. So, yay, it was most likely a bug.

Here are G9 shorts on G8.1F.

g9 shorts on g81f.png
    604 x 678 - 109K
  • They did have G9 updated very shortly after initial release, so that's quite possible. Glad it's working for you now :-)

• Could you make a tutorial about this, pleae? I find these things hard so a tutorial w the correct figure names would be more than amazing ❤️, I would love an autofit clone g9 on g8.1 so I can still buy new oufits for my g8.1 characters. I'm not using g9 until they release character and skin converters so I can move my g8.1 characters to g9. I totally understand if you don't fell like or don't have time to make this, just thought I ask smiley.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,248
    edited October 2022

tombraider4ever said:

Could you make a tutorial about this, pleae? I find these things hard so a tutorial w the correct figure names would be more than amazing ❤️, I would love an autofit clone g9 on g8.1 so I can still buy new oufits for my g8.1 characters. I'm not using g9 until they release character and skin converters so I can move my g8.1 characters to g9. I totally understand if you don't fell like or don't have time to make this, just thought I ask smiley.

Way ahead of your request! About 3/4 the way through one. Have a few images left to edit, then I'll be pasting them into a .pdf, then the following day I'll attempt the proof reading part and hopefully have it uploaded to Renderosity over the weekend. So by Monday if all goes well it should be available for download. 

n.b. Genesis 9 does have the full spectrum of auto-fit clones, however I did make one of G8 for G9 so the process would be similar, just reversed, for bringing 9 to 8, etc.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Could you make a tutorial about this, pleae? I find these things hard so a tutorial w the correct figure names would be more than amazing ❤️, I would love an autofit clone g9 on g8.1 so I can still buy new oufits for my g8.1 characters. I'm not using g9 until they release character and skin converters so I can move my g8.1 characters to g9. I totally understand if you don't fell like or don't have time to make this, just thought I ask smiley.

Way ahead of your request! About 3/4 the way through one. Have a few images left to edit, then I'll be pasting them into a .pdf, then the following day I'll attempt the proof reading part and hopefully have it uploaded to Renderosity over the weekend. So by Monday if all goes well it should be available for download. 

n.b. Genesis 9 does have the full spectrum of auto-fit clones, however I did make one of G8 for G9 so the process would be similar, just reversed, for bringing 9 to 8, etc.

Thank you so much for the reply and in advance for this! heartsmiley  So I can use your tutorial and every time it says G8 I use G9 and the other way around? But the same process, just do this w G8 and I do it with G9? 

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

lilweep said:

It's been a few years since I created a clone but wasn't the idea that you would morph g9 to the shape of g8 to allow it to wear the clothing?

Has it changed since I did it last?

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

Eboshijaana said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Eboshijaana said:

This method: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/193296/freebie-how-to-create-a-v4-clone-and-transfer-other-figures-for-g8f-now-with-video

I also used Dev versions for both, so there should be no alien geometry.

Thanks for the link...

• tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Thank you so much for the reply and in advance for this! heartsmiley  So I can use your tutorial and every time it says G8 I use G9 and the other way around? But the same process, just do this w G8 and I do it with G9? 

As far as I know at this point in time, yes. Hopefully next week I'll have some more time and work on making some G9 auto-fit clones for G8, etc. I need a good block of time to get into that project ;-) 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

by then Sickleyied and Riversoft will probably have an item in the store too

but free is always better so I grab yours Catherine3678ab heart

this Genesis 9 has been like a pre alpha release IMO for what DAZ has made available

• Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

As far as I know at this point in time, yes. Hopefully next week I'll have some more time and work on making some G9 auto-fit clones for G8, etc. I need a good block of time to get into that project ;-) 

Thank you so much for this❤️, I will try the tutorial to see if it works the other way around, I have a hard time w these stuff, have used Daz 4 years but a lot of it is still a mystery. I can't wait to have an autofit clone g9 - g8.1 since I wont use g9 until I can move my g8.1 charaters and skin to it. It kills me to see the cool outfits 4 g9, I rarely buy until it's on a good sale but to know that I can't in any way buy and use those fun stuff 4 my Lara characters is very depressing 4 me. Buying stuff 4 my Lara models is one of lifes biggest joys 4 me ♥️, I rarely buy real life stuff 4 myself lol. 

• tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Thank you so much for this❤️, I will try the tutorial to see if it works the other way around, I have a hard time w these stuff, have used Daz 4 years but a lot of it is still a mystery. I can't wait to have an autofit clone g9 - g8.1 since I wont use g9 until I can move my g8.1 charaters and skin to it. It kills me to see the cool outfits 4 g9, I rarely buy until it's on a good sale but to know that I can't in any way buy and use those fun stuff 4 my Lara characters is very depressing 4 me. Buying stuff 4 my Lara models is one of lifes biggest joys 4 me ♥️, I rarely buy real life stuff 4 myself lol. 

Tutorial has been uploaded to Renderosity - I have a thread in the Freebies Section here for the tutorial.

Make the clothing figure OF G9 for 8.1 in order to bring 8.1 characters over to 9. Make a clothing figure OF G8.1 FOR G9, in order to make an auto-fit clone of G9 for G8.1.

• tombraider4evertombraider4ever Posts: 692
    edited October 2022

Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Tutorial has been uploaded to Renderosity - I have a thread in the Freebies Section here for the tutorial.

Make the clothing figure OF G9 for 8.1 in order to bring 8.1 characters over to 9. Make a clothing figure OF G8.1 FOR G9, in order to make an auto-fit clone of G9 for G8.1.

Thank you so much for taking the time to make this! heartsmiley You mentioned shapes and characters, does that mean I can convert my G8.1 charater to G9? Sorry for all these questions, thank you so much for the help and for your patience! heartsmiley 

Edit: I just had a look at the tutorial and it involves Hexagon and I have no idea how to use that so it will not be possible for me to use this method, I hope someone will make a tutorial for use only in daz studio, I have only knowledge, limited, about Daz studio. Or that a developer will release and sell a clone g9 to G8. Thank you so much for sharing that excellent tutorial though heart, it looks very well made. 

Post edited by tombraider4ever on
  • Really, all I did with Hexagon was use it as a method to get the object renamed and sent right back into D/S.

You can just export the .obj [no groups] out of D/S, rename the file, import that back into D/S using Morph Loader Pro and make the morph. I like using Hexagon because it tends to be more dummy proof for me ;-)

• Catherine3678ab said:

Really, all I did with Hexagon was use it as a method to get the object renamed and sent right back into D/S.

You can just export the .obj [no groups] out of D/S, rename the file, import that back into D/S using Morph Loader Pro and make the morph. I like using Hexagon because it tends to be more dummy proof for me ;-)

I just tried the tutorial, using G9 when it said G8 and the other way around and I can't proceed past one step as there is no hidden clone for G9 on G8, so this is not possible for me. If someone makes a tutorial for G9 clone to G8 for use G9 clothes on G8 I will try it, othewise I will have to hope that someone will sell such a clone at some point. I'm thinking of skipping G9 altogeter, try convert my character to G9 when it becomes possible just to test, but from what I see and hear, not sure if I remember correctly but I read she has less material zones, less bones in her face, and I see for myself people making artworks w spaghetti arms, weird elbow and wrist bending and I think to myself: in what world is this a step forward?? Not for me. So when the converter for characters G8 to G9, and skin converters come I will buy it and test, but most likely I will stay on G8.1 and buy all the stuff that will be released for converting G9 stuff, all kinds, to G8.1. And hope for a better G10 w proper backwards to G8.1 also compability. And a seperate female base. 

• tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Really, all I did with Hexagon was use it as a method to get the object renamed and sent right back into D/S.

I just tried the tutorial, using G9 when it said G8 and the other way around and I can't proceed past one step as there is no hidden clone for G9 on G8, so this is not possible for me. If someone makes a tutorial for G9 clone to G8 for use G9 clothes on G8 I will try it, othewise I will have to hope that someone will sell such a clone at some point. I'm thinking of skipping G9 altogeter, try convert my character to G9 when it becomes possible just to test, but from what I see and hear, not sure if I remember correctly but I read she has less material zones, less bones in her face, and I see for myself people making artworks w spaghetti arms, weird elbow and wrist bending and I think to myself: in what world is this a step forward?? Not for me. So when the converter for characters G8 to G9, and skin converters come I will buy it and test, but most likely I will stay on G8.1 and buy all the stuff that will be released for converting G9 stuff, all kinds, to G8.1. And hope for a better G10 w proper backwards to G8.1 also compability. And a seperate female base. 

Oh yes, that would be a problem -- so we shall one make one of those next. I need to make one for all of the Genesis clans.

To make a clone for G8, follow the instructions for making a clothing item of G8 [base resolution, no geografts]. Save that [so it doesn't have to be done again]. HIDE G8, export out the clothing [it looks like default G8]. Load G9, dial in the clone for G8. Pose the legs for G8Import in that clothing .obj of G8, and make clothing of it for G9. "current shape" and "reverse deformations" ... hopefully it looks correct. Save the clothing. On G9, dial out G8's shape and return the pose to G9's default. HIDE everything except that G8 clothing ON G9 [should be looking like G9].  Export out that clothing of G8 looking like G9 as .obj NO groups.

Hide everything, show G8 base resolution [thoughout all of this I keep all figures at base resolution]. Using Morph Loader Pro [under Edit] bring in the G8 clothing which looks like G9. Make the morph. Be sure it's a "clone" type morph. You can dial it in to be sure it looks correct, then dial it out and save it as a morph asset. Now you have a hidden clone for G9 on G8.

• Catherine3678ab said:

tombraider4ever said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Oh yes, that would be a problem -- so we shall one make one of those next. I need to make one for all of the Genesis clans.

To make a clone for G8, follow the instructions for making a clothing item of G8 [base resolution, no geografts]. Save that [so it doesn't have to be done again]. HIDE G8, export out the clothing [it looks like default G8]. Load G9, dial in the clone for G8. Pose the legs for G8Import in that clothing .obj of G8, and make clothing of it for G9. "current shape" and "reverse deformations" ... hopefully it looks correct. Save the clothing. On G9, dial out G8's shape and return the pose to G9's default. HIDE everything except that G8 clothing ON G9 [should be looking like G9].  Export out that clothing of G8 looking like G9 as .obj NO groups.

Hide everything, show G8 base resolution [thoughout all of this I keep all figures at base resolution]. Using Morph Loader Pro [under Edit] bring in the G8 clothing which looks like G9. Make the morph. Be sure it's a "clone" type morph. You can dial it in to be sure it looks correct, then dial it out and save it as a morph asset. Now you have a hidden clone for G9 on G8.

Thank you so much for trying to help me again heartheart, I'm so grateful for that and I want it work so bad but it's too hard for me. I when you say follow the tutorial for making a clothing item of G8 I look at the tutorial you posted and I try to follow it at the same time as reading what you wrote here. You write the instructions well, the fault is mine for my low knowledge of Daz studio, the more technical stuff. I try to pose g9 as g8 and whe I do the clone I made moves with it. I hide it and unhide when finished posing the legs, save, load and when fitted the G8 to G9 the legs of the clone jumps sideways lol. So I am making a big misstake somewhere in this. I have followed tutorials before and made clones for G8 of G3 and G2 so I always use those I made instead of the normal ones. The problem is I think that I need a tutorial for the correct figures, instructions w picks like you had but for the way I want - G9 clone on G8 to use g9 outfits on G8. I loose my way when it's not the correct names, and some of what you wrote I can't find, like the reverse deformation, was that supposed to be in the transfer thing? I was not able to find it, I use 4.15, maybe they changed the names for that option in later Daz versions?. So once again; Thank you so much for your amazing patience with my questions, so very kind of you, I really appreciate it heartsmiley . But the only thing that could work for me I think is a tutorial w pictures for the clone I need, the converting of G9 clothes to G8, or a bought clone, but that seams to take time to be avaliable to purchase. You wrote very good instructions, the fault is with me, with my low experience w the very techincal side of Daz studio. 

• tombraider4ever said:

... edit ...

Thank you so much for trying to help me again heartheart, I'm so grateful for that and I want it work so bad but it's too hard for me. I when you say follow the tutorial for making a clothing item of G8 I look at the tutorial you posted and I try to follow it at the same time as reading what you wrote here. You write the instructions well, the fault is mine for my low knowledge of Daz studio, the more technical stuff. I try to pose g9 as g8 and whe I do the clone I made moves with it. I hide it and unhide when finished posing the legs, save, load and when fitted the G8 to G9 the legs of the clone jumps sideways lol. So I am making a big misstake somewhere in this. I have followed tutorials before and made clones for G8 of G3 and G2 so I always use those I made instead of the normal ones. The problem is I think that I need a tutorial for the correct figures, instructions w picks like you had but for the way I want - G9 clone on G8 to use g9 outfits on G8. I loose my way when it's not the correct names, and some of what you wrote I can't find, like the reverse deformation, was that supposed to be in the transfer thing? I was not able to find it, I use 4.15, maybe they changed the names for that option in later Daz versions?. So once again; Thank you so much for your amazing patience with my questions, so very kind of you, I really appreciate it heartsmiley . But the only thing that could work for me I think is a tutorial w pictures for the clone I need, the converting of G9 clothes to G8, or a bought clone, but that seams to take time to be avaliable to purchase. You wrote very good instructions, the fault is with me, with my low experience w the very techincal side of Daz studio. 

When any clothing item is exported out as .obj, it needs to be in the correct landing spot for the new clothing to be made. So the legs won't move then. Since they did move I quite possibly missed a step or confused myself [it happens, grieving set of mind these days].

And I agree, I will need to go through all the steps to be sure I am not missing one -- and I will of course make the picture tutorial of it.
    Which G8 would you like in the tutorial, male or female?

Also let's take the conversation over to the new thread I will start in the Freebies section for Making Clones of G9.

• Thank you so much for wanting to make a tutorial for this, I'm so grateful for it, that's so very kind of you! heartsmiley G8 female would be great, I use G8.1 female only so if it can be that that would be even better, but I'm thinking that a G8 works good in this case also, so I'll leave that up to you. If G8 is in the tutorial then I'll use G8 and hope that that will work well for my G8.1 characters, and I'm sure it will. Thank you so much again for this! heartheart And I'll look out for that thread in the freebies section. 

• tombraider4ever said:

Thank you so much for wanting to make a tutorial for this, I'm so grateful for it, that's so very kind of you! heartsmiley G8 female would be great, I use G8.1 female only so if it can be that that would be even better, but I'm thinking that a G8 works good in this case also, so I'll leave that up to you. If G8 is in the tutorial then I'll use G8 and hope that that will work well for my G8.1 characters, and I'm sure it will. Thank you so much again for this! heartheart And I'll look out for that thread in the freebies section. 

You're welcome. New Thread is here.