Genesis 9 we are back in the game Carrara users

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

UPDATE: Eyes Size Not Just Position

- in my G9 facial morph example above, I tested for eyes that change position, but not eyes that change size

- for eyes that change size, more steps are required

- the generous Jay Versluis has posted a video that shows how to create a follower morph for the eyes if you change the size/shape of the G9 Face

• ok i followed the steps from another thread, and posing works

now how do i get textures?

edited December 2022

Couple of options.  You can apply materials to the G9 and pieces (mouth etc) in Daz Studio before saving as a character preset.  The materials will not be optimized for Carrara but at least some of the maps will preload.  Then you can tweak them from there and save as a global shader for future use.  Alternatively, you can load a blank G9 as a character preset then load the maps individually.  However you do it, save as a global shader after the first time and you can use one-click drag and drop to apply the full texture set in the future.

Another idea is to load one of the existing Carrara optimized shaders and copy elements to corresponding parts of a loaded G9.  Then swap out the maps.  Here is an example.  I loaded a Genesis 1 and a blank Genesis 9 with the base masculine morph dialed to 1.  I drag and dropped one of the global Michael 5 skin shaders that came with Carrara to Genesis 1 actor level.  I then copied and pasted the leg shader from Gensis 1 to the leg slot for genesis 9.  I then navigated to the runtime/texture subfolder that contains the Daz Genesis 9 base male maps.  I loaded the diffuse map in the color channel.  I loaded the S map in the highlight channel.  I chose the 'normal map' option in the bump channel and loaded the leg normal map.  I repeated for the other body channels, and for the mouth, etc.  For each G9 component (body, mouth, etc...), I dragged and dropped the adjusted global shaders to the browser for future use.  The Michael 5 shader had a color in the subsurface scattering channel but it is not enabled by default.

001 load genesis 1 in michael 5 shape and a genesis 9 blended character with blended mouth etc.jpg
    1920 x 931 - 278K
    003 click and drag james shader to globe in upper right.jpg
    1918 x 961 - 249K
    005 use copy in top channel.jpg
    1068 x 576 - 129K
    007 paste to legs slot for gen 9.jpg
    1895 x 755 - 231K
    008 maps are wrong but can see location.jpg
    926 x 655 - 118K
    009 navigate to location of correct map in daz textures folder.jpg
    1256 x 913 - 213K
    011 change bump to normal map.jpg
    896 x 853 - 140K
    012 find legs normal map.jpg
    811 x 590 - 110K
    013 load map in highlight.jpg
    909 x 590 - 106K
    017 drag globe to browser for body mouth eyes etc.jpg
    1782 x 970 - 295K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • I tried loading it in Daz studio I got an i/o error
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,739
    edited December 2022

invisigoth said:

I tried loading it in Daz studio I got an i/o error

If it's a DAZ Studio issue you might need to ask the question in The Commons Forum.

I would also attach your DAZ Studio Txt file from the Troubleshooting Log File to The Commons query.

G9 Error 3.png
    2423 x 1028 - 450K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

How I solved the I/O Error,  This is just from my own personal experience.  I was always under the assumption that once a character is saved to the Carrara browser, it is a complete entity, in other words, it doesn't need any other input aside from the texture folder.  Turns out I may be wrong in that assumption.  I've created a number of "Custom" characters for use in Carrara, and I save them all to an 'Objects' folder.  I reload them frome the objects folder and all seems fine, I can pose them, or animate them. So I feel confident that I have a 'completed" character and I zip up the source files for archiving.  Then when I reload the character, some time later, and go to apply a pose preset, or sometimes manipulate a dial, I get the annoying I/O Error.  WTF!!!  In frustration, i delete the character and create a new one, cause I still have the source files, and all is fine again.  Turns out, you got to keep the data folder in the mix cause I think Carrara looks for links in that folder when applying a pose or morph.  Now I save the data folder with the runtime/textures along with the .car file and I no longer get that error.  So, could be a User Issuefrown  

Thanks for that info - sounds like a missing data file is the issue.

I always build my characters in DAZ Studio then save them as a Character preset.

That allows me to open them in Carrara or DAZ Studio, find it very useful especially for fitting clothes with the Genesis series of figures.

• i tried saving, like what was said in the first line   "You can apply materials to the G9 and pieces (mouth etc) in Daz Studio before saving as a character preset."

but when i got back into carrara, i got the I/O error

• I manually chased up and applied all my textures in the Carrara shader room

and saved multishader balls

edited December 2022

invisigoth said:

i tried saving, like what was said in the first line   "You can apply materials to the G9 and pieces (mouth etc) in Daz Studio before saving as a character preset."

I tried saving my Character skins a few different ways but have not gotten any I/O errors yet.

Have you tried Wendy's method yet ?

• Bunyip02 said:

invisigoth said:

i tried saving, like what was said in the first line   "You can apply materials to the G9 and pieces (mouth etc) in Daz Studio before saving as a character preset."

I tried saving my Character skins a few different ways but have not gotten any I/O errors yet.

Nope, I have no idea how to
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,858
    edited December 2022

invisigoth said:

Bunyip02 said:

invisigoth said:

first you need to locate all your installed textures

are in Your library location\Runtime\textures\DAZ\Characters\Genesis9\Base

then go through and load

diffuse/base they use D textures ie skins in color

Specular they use SO in Highlight

Reflection/metalic/Roughness they use R in Shininess
    Normal/Bump they use NM in Bump (choose normal option)

for each body part (some share but most don't (fingernails and toenails are separate to arms legs but share same one for example)

takes a while but once done you can drag the big coloured ball at the top to your browser under shaders and save it to drop on the coloured ball for any genesis 9 you load

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

invisigoth said:

Bunyip02 said:

invisigoth said:

Her method (which I use too) requires some familiarity with the shading room, how to save shaders in Carrara, and detailed knowledge of where each texture for your character is in your Studio runtime.  Also you need a knowledge of where each texture goes on your character. 

Ultimately settting up a character shader the first time can be a bit of work, but once it's saved out you can re-apply it at need any time very quickly.

For a quicker/easier way I would recommend simply loading up your character in Studio, then saving as -  Support Asset -  Figure/Prop Assets and save it in your Studio 'Figures' folder.  Then you can come into Carrara, update your folders for Studio, and you should be able to load the character with textures and uvs correct.  Though I still recommend learning Carrara's shader room so you can tweak the shaders to perform better in Carrara than the Studio default, but that's a whole other ball of wax...  :)

As a caveat, I don't own Genesis 9 (though I admit it's the first generation of Genesis since Genesis1 that isn't a step backwards), so I'm speaking in ignorance of whether there's something inherent in Genesis9 that might cause an i/o error if you take this method.  So maybe I'm just bloviating and running my big mouth on something I know nothing about :)  But that's the exact method I use to get Genesis1 characters into Carrara with intact UVs from characters that aren't the default M4/M5/V4/V5 uv materials we can find in the Genesis folder.  In fact sometimes I want different character UVs on the same Figure, like to have V5 Eyelashes on a character with V4 uvs for everything else, or something exotic like Aiko 5 uvs, and it works without error for me.

Another method - use the PBR plugin. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3672826/#Comment_3672826

Download the Plugin and install into Carrara. Watch the video for how to add the DUF material files to your figure.

If still having trouble let me know and I will do a series of screenshots for you.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,858
    edited March 2023

Vicky 9

V9.jpg
    974 x 1084 - 144K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited March 2023

Looking good Wendy !!!

Stephanie 4 morph for G9 wearing a Red dress

G9 Red Dress 1 Tpz.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

I am getting an I/O error when trying to apply the default Genesis 9 T-shit and shorts for males. Anyoen getting this error. Prefer not to render naked dudes. Want 6to know the solution before buying more genesis 9 male content. the female clothing seems to work fine. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rashad Carter said:

I am getting an I/O error when trying to apply the default Genesis 9 T-shit and shorts for males. Anyoen getting this error. Prefer not to render naked dudes. Want 6to know the solution before buying more genesis 9 male content. the female clothing seems to work fine. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Rashad, I also got an error message for the Basic Shirt & Shorts.

I have been getting good results of converting old clothing for use an G9, for example save David 3 clothes on fit for Genesis 1, then save the Genesis 1 as autofitted to Genesis 9.

No need for Genesis 9 to be rendered in their birthday suit !!!

Thanks, Bunyip2!

Stezza said:

nice to see things are happening with G9

I also had trouble with the Tee but didn't bother to look any further... the Male poses folder was enough for me after controlling my laughter at the lame attempt of just filling the folder with what they filled it with. no

...took the words right out of my mouth.

Stezza said:

nice to see things are happening with G9

I also had trouble with the Tee but didn't bother to look any further... the Male poses folder was enough for me after controlling my laughter at the lame attempt of just filling the folder with what they filled it with. no

...took the words right out of my mouth.

Im getting a weird mesh distortion when I apply the smiles full face open morph. Anyone else having this issue?

Im trying to upload an image of the error but for some reason the forum isnt letting me upload.

Rashad Carter said:

Im trying to upload an image of the error but for some reason the forum isnt letting me upload.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8286211/#Comment_8286211

edited August 2023

Lets try this again:

https://gcdn.daz3d.com/gallery/image/1303531/1691690871/main.jpg

Image still isnt displaying in the forums but should be visible by clicking the link.

Post edited by Rashad Carter on

Confirmed - one mashed up eye when happy. Suggest Post-work or relaxing the morph till it's not an issue !

Greetings, Rashad.  Hope you are well.  (waves).  Sorry to be late to this thread.  I got some I/O errors due to the Windows operating system people.  Something corrupted some, but not all, of my files.  I was able to recover.  Your problem may not be related at all, but if your issues are still not solved, my operating system issue starts at this post (in which I curse the Windows update a$$h01es).

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8082106/#Comment_8082106