OOT Hairs rendering black (Solved)

Mart1n71Mart1n71 Posts: 126

This is not a new issue, ever since first upgrading to 4.20 all my OOT hairs have rendered black in iray. I figured that the old shaders just weren't compatible with the newer version of iray used in 4.20 and I've not bought an OOT hair product since, but now with 4.21 and the new soft curls hair for G9 I had hoped this would solve the issue but apparently not.

Post edited by Mart1n71 on

Comments

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775
    edited October 2022

I don't know what the problem is, but it definitely isn't that "the old shaders just weren't compatible with the newer version of iray used in 4.20." OOT is one of the most popular hair vendors out there, just look at how many promo shots use their hair products, so there's no way they all stopped working months ago and nobody but you noticed. FWIW I don't have any trouble with OOT hairs, other than known issues like them sometimes getting freaky when they're a long way from (0,0,0).

Is your video card driver up-to-date? That's the first thing I'd check.

Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • VividImaginatorVividImaginator Posts: 38
    edited October 2022

From this thread.

You may be missing Nvidia materials; this solution may help you.

I noticed you mentioned that you are having troubles with hair rendering black, regardless of any color you choose, and that skin is rendering dark and weird-looking.

I was having the same problems until I did this...

(Always backup your current Daz Studio version before updating! In case something goes wrong.)

-I should mention that I'm using NVIDIA Studio Drivers version 472.84 with an RTX 3090 graphics card-

Update your Daz Studio version to the last beta; Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.16.1.31 then follow this steps:

1 - Download NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 Shader Presets AND NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets from https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials

2 - Install NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 Shader Presets (follow the installer instructions, it will install it in documents/mdl/)

3 - Install NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets (follow the installer instructions, it will install it in documents/mdl/)

4 - Download "NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets Daz Studio" from https://sharecg.com/v/98359 (it requires an account with them to download stuff.) and follow the included instructions. You can also follow the instructions in this post to install the NVIDIA vMaterials: Daz Forums post you will have the option to install both NVIDIA vMaterials versions INSTALL BOTH!

I can confirm that the given solution still works on Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.16.1.31

That solved the hair rendering black and skin rendering dark/weird-looking. I still can't use ghost lights but I use tonemapping and emissive surfaces to light my scenes.

I'm an enthusiast game developer; I have two games that I'm working on and I render scenes on a daily basis.

I hope this solves the problem for you, keep in mind that ghost lights will still not work.

Post edited by VividImaginator on
  • nVidia made a change to Thin Film in the same version as they made chnages to emission - again as the old behaviour was not correct. OoT uses a lot of thin Film and although Daz ddi manage to find workarounds at shader level to preserve much of the old functionality here there may well be noticeable chnages. Also, make sure your path length isn't very low in Render Settings.

• KeikuKeiku Posts: 143

Last time this happend to me, NVIDIA made a change which Daz had to fix. I know I did have an issue with the latest NVIDIA driver 522.25 and had to roll back, although I didn't test OOT hair with that driver.

• Mart1n71Mart1n71 Posts: 126

VividImaginator said:

From this thread.

I noticed you mentioned that you are having troubles with hair rendering black, regardless of any color you choose, and that skin is rendering dark and weird-looking.

(Always backup your current Daz Studio version before updating! In case something goes wrong.)

-I should mention that I'm using NVIDIA Studio Drivers version 472.84 with an RTX 3090 graphics card-

Update your Daz Studio version to the last beta; Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.16.1.31 then follow this steps:

1 - Download NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 Shader Presets AND NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets from https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials

2 - Install NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 Shader Presets (follow the installer instructions, it will install it in documents/mdl/)

3 - Install NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets (follow the installer instructions, it will install it in documents/mdl/)

4 - Download "NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets Daz Studio" from https://sharecg.com/v/98359 (it requires an account with them to download stuff.) and follow the included instructions. You can also follow the instructions in this post to install the NVIDIA vMaterials: Daz Forums post you will have the option to install both NVIDIA vMaterials versions INSTALL BOTH!

I can confirm that the given solution still works on Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.16.1.31

That solved the hair rendering black and skin rendering dark/weird-looking. I still can't use ghost lights but I use tonemapping and emissive surfaces to light my scenes.

I'm an enthusiast game developer; I have two games that I'm working on and I render scenes on a daily basis.

I hope this solves the problem for you, keep in mind that ghost lights will still not work.

Installing vMaterials 2 seems to have solved the issue. Thank you.

• ShadowdreamShadowdream Posts: 50

VividImaginator said:

From this thread.

Thank you. I came here with the same problem and updating the vMaterials (2.3 at the moment) worked. I didn't need the presets from sharecg to fix it. :)