Ava High Heel Boots render problem

Hi gang.

I had purchased these because I liked the design and they fit with a theme I was going for. Unfortunately they cause iRay rendering to fail, "Render has Failed", and locks the render engine so even after doing New Scene the render engine gives the message "render engine in use". DS becomes unstable until restarting DS.

I had to refund this product.

The render problem happened even when the boots were the only thing loaded in a scene.

I have, as most of you probably do, thousands of products. I've loaded all kinds of items and scenes and never ran across a single item that caused the render engine to break like this. The log showed it was in the process of loading images, the messages that occur before it shows OpTix being prepped, when DS popped up the dialog "render has failed".

I tried assigning the generic iRay Uber Shader to all the material surfaces but that didn't help. Looking at the wireframe of the boot mesh didn't look any different than any other shoe/boot items I have.

Anybody familiar with item properties; mesh, materials, etc, that could cause this kind of behavior.

Also unfortunate is the fact there are no other lace-up, shin-high boots like these. Tried to message the vendor but no response so far.

If anyone else has these boots I'd be interested to know your results when rendering with these in a scene.

Running a 3080ti 12GB and haven't seen this in any other product.

Take care all

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Well I can't really help except by saying I tested those shoes a few seconds ago just to see what was weird with them. But... well it's all good.

Iray preview, Render, etc. everything works perfectly fine. Except the fact that UVs are reall badly packed and make my lil' 3D modeler heart stop for a second, the rest is fine.

I tried render on 3 different computers and all rendered fine, no problem whatsoever.

You should maybe try dedicated memory stress testers for VRAM and RAM to see if there aren't any hardware

P.S: judging by the wireframe, the design was made with Marvelous Designer. So the tension of the leather creates nice folds. But there is an ugly contrast between these nice folds and the objectively bad integration of shoelaces in the design. The metal fasteners and laces are more or less skillfully placed on the Marvelous Designer mesh, but the creator obviously didn't know how to make the laces in Marvelous, so that they become part of the simulation. So he added them later with another 3D modeling app. As a result, the leather, where it should be roughed up by metal fasteners and full of small wrinkles... looks very smooth. Totally unrealistic. Like if laces were glued in place   (;¬_¬) Cheap.

The overall shape is nice, the back zipper is well done, but those very visible laces leave a lot to be desired. It's as if they were added at the last minute rather than thought out in advance.

------------------------------------------------------------

A similar product, but at least here, shoelaces are part of the design and you can feel how they're roughing up leather around them.

An incomparatively more skilled 3D modeling than Ava High Heels in my opinion.

Lace Up Long Boots For G8F

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • quantum-2653005quantum-2653005 Posts: 51
    edited October 2022

Thanks for the info. I've rendered extremely large scenes with many figures and items and never had the renderer break like that. Slow to a crawl, oh yes, but never "Render has Failed" dialog.

I thought something odd must be wrong in the duf or some other possible script issue. I'm not familiar enough with the iRay plugin to make any determination as to why they failed. I had the log being tailed in a powershell window and watched where the renderer failed. When you start an iRay render it starts loading the material images, there was a 256x256 sized image that it always failed on. After trying to replace all the materials with the default uber shader the render engine still failed. I remembered the size because I don't think I've seen another item since Genesis 1 that was that small. I then thought maybe something was wrong with the boot mesh but there's nothing I could do about that. The boots worked in the iRay preview. I reinstalled a few times with DIM, then tried deleting the package and re-downloaded with DIM, to no avail.

It's interesting that these would be the only product I've had this happen with (as far back as my memory serves). I do appreciate you testing and sharing your results. I have other products that contain some odd geometry. I was watching some help videos and have seen Marvelous Designer "style" (if that's the right word) geometry in some of my wardrobe items. Daz stuff tends to have highly regular quad distribution in most cases and only skews a bit in tight spots. MD wardrobe items seem to have more irregular geometry distribution as well as denser geo by comparison, in my opinion.

I'll wait for the Ava boots to go on sale again and consider trying again. I'll also take a look at those other boots you linked.

Thanks

edit: I thought about this after posting: I have a ton of fit clothing products, characters, posing and morphs. I would think if any of those would have conflicted during iRay render image load that I would have seen this failure long ago.

Post edited by quantum-2653005 on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

there was a 256x256 sized image

The infatuation for 4K, 8K textures doesn't mean it's necessary that all textures become that huge. Especially since few people are able to populate tso many pixels with relevant details. It's interesting to be able to bake a high poly sculpt to 8K textures. But for many other purposes, one can very well create an extremely detailed 64x64 normal map and tile it to end up with a crisp pattern even on a gigantic mesh. Small doesn't mean bad ;) It's less true for Daz as it can't display a different UV per shader layer, only 1 common UV for the whole Surface, but it still remain true that size does not always matter.

Marvelous Designer "style" (if that's the right word)

Definitely the right wording ;) Auto-generated wireframes can instantly be identified (for someone used to modeling) as coming from Quad Remesher, 3DS Max Retopology (excellent), Dynamesh, Instant Meshes, Ptex Autopo, etc. And Marvelous, whether it be quads or triangles, clearly has a distinct style. I personnaly (old school modeler) do all (final) retopology by hand, quad per quad. Hand made retopology are the cleanest and most optimized, no algorith can beat that yet. Takes (a lot of) time but it's worth it.

I'll wait for the Ava boots to go on sale again and consider trying again

If your feeling (after a look at the log) was that the render was hanging when accessing an image, why didn't you "simply" try to open that image in Photoshop, Krita, ACDSee, etc. and re-save it. Some images can probably have a wrong tiny piece of data that iRay doesn't like. Resaving textures with a trustworthy 2D app could have fixed your problem, if it was really coming from that 256x256 image.

Cheers. Good luck with your projects.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • quantum-2653005quantum-2653005 Posts: 51
    edited October 2022

hansolocambo

You know, I don't think I tried looking at the texture(s) in xnview (my preferred viewer) or in gimp. I have noticed when I'm fixing missing icon images that sometimes a file is of type jpg but the metadata is bad. Resaving the jpg as jpg using xnview corrects this. What exactly it's doing I couldn't say, though additional info shows up for the jpg after re-saving. This has been a fix for a number of jpg icons for products. I should have tried that for the boot image(s).

Guess I'll grab them again when on sale and *if* they still have that problem I'll try that.

Since iRay preview mode (viewport) worked, which I could watch the textures load in the log when switching viewport mode, I expected iRay render to have the same result. This is the curiosity, when iRay loads for preview as opposed to loading for render, why would this fail? I'll have to wait to test again.

Thanks for the insight.

Post edited by quantum-2653005 on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Which version of Daz Studio are you using and what file type is the image?

• DS 4.21.0.5 and the surface textures were png.

• s_j_gregorys_j_gregory Posts: 103
    edited April 2023

Prop versions (G3 and G8) work fine suggesting nothing to do with shaders.  Neither conforming version will render for me, even in a scene all by themselves.  As above, it is something I have never seen previously.  Never had the message Render has failed. . . . 

Post edited by s_j_gregory on