Disk C:

Two month ago my drive C: crashed...
When I installed DAZ before, I choosed D: as installation drive, because C: is, like often nowadays, a SSD drive, what more often crashes then a hardrive.
And although I installed it on D:, DAZ wrote a lot of Data to C: with the result, that I  had to install all of my content again.

Now I had to install DAZ on C: - no other choice. Thank you for this! Instead of creating a really useable Datasystem including a good Backup software (system), the ... programmers at DAZ - better: the software managers
of DAZ, decided to write everything on C: Is DAZ paying so bad, that only second hand managers are working there? Or does these manager(s) have no idea about a good computer system? - or, in my honest opinion most likely: they look only for money. They think, that creating a good system, a system build in this millenium, only costs money and brings nothing.
It is like the products offered by DAZ: DAZ never controls whether a product can fully be installed on a customers computer. I cannot remember how often I contacted DAZ because of this...

Quality pays... sooner or later there will be another company offering something like DAZ (perhaps blender?) - and then DAZ will die, because this other company know what quality means!
But naturally DAZ will die without their managers. Those will leave the compony before - most likely with earning a last big cheque... Like it happend thousands of times before... 

Comments

• ArjeyArjey Posts: 39

Oh, in all my happiness I forgot to ask: Is somebody out there who can tell me what data I have to backup for repairing a crashed system?

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

No, DAZ didn't have to install to the C drive. You chose to leave the installation folders set to their defaults.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,113

You'll want everything under DAZ 3D in Users - Users/Public/Public Documents/DAZ 3D, Users/<logonid>/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D, Users/All Users/DAZ 3D.

Objection! Installing DAZ via DAZ Central unfortunately don't ask...

Objection 2: No such directory at all. I have under C:/DAZ 3D/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D a "MY DAZ 3D Library" with 154 GB(!) and somewhere else a "My Connect Library" with 54GB - and my 400GB drive is almost full. Because this drive is new nothing besides DAZ is on it, so I guess, that the other 200GB are also used by DAZ... 

A "My DAZ 3D Library" under C: User/Public/Public documents is empty!

Sorry, I'm German - what do you mean by "You will want everything...!

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,113

OK, I'll try a bit more detail - it's been over 50 years since my high school German classes. First things first - in File Explorer click on File and then Options; in the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" then click Apply and then OK.

I have these paths under C:\Users: All Users (A hidden link), Default (A hidden folder), Default User (A hidden link), kauffmant (my logon id), Public.

C:\Users\All Users\DAZ 3D\CMS          

C:\Users\All Users\DAZ 3D\Studio4

C:\Users\All Users\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build

There is nothing required under C:\Users\Default or C:\Users\Default User

C:\Users\<logonid>\AppData      (C:\Users\kauffmant\AppData - is a hidden folder)

C:\Users\<logonid>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\        You need everything in this folder - they're the configuration files, among other things

C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\DAZ 3D\           InstallManager and/or possibly Central folders

And that's the full set required to recover the settings in Studio and DIM (and I'm assuming Central matches DIM with the file locations). The actuall content (the Studio and Central executables and the purchased content) are completely separate.

DC built a folder C:\DAZ 3D with subfolders /Application/64-bit and .../Data.

Under Application: .../DAZStudio4 and PostgreSQL CMC

Under .../Data: /DAZ3D  /Content Database, /InstallManager and /MyDAZ 3D Library

There is no \Studio4 Public Build - as you mentioned

Under \Users\public\public documents there is only a empty "My DAZ 3D Library"

I Spent a long time to sort my products in DAZ Studio under Categories in several sub folders.

To get space on my C-drive, I copied the "My Connect Library" (50GB) to D: , renamed it on the old location - set the new location in DAZ Studio in the Content Directory Manager - and everything worked fine. So I deleted this Library on C: --> and all my subfolders under Categories in DAZ Studio were gone... - Where the hell is the structure of "Categories" and subfolders stored???