[SOLVED] Already rigged and fitted asset > getting rid of a morph by modifying the base shape.

hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649

When I was using mostly only ZBrush, I enjoyed very much a GoZ option : Update Base Mesh. When modifying an object in ZBrush we could modify the object in Daz, without having to create a morph slider. Which is damn cool.

Now that I'm way more a Blender user, having to go through obj and Morph Loader Pro, I miss very much such an option.

Example of workflow to illustrate what I need :

1/ I create a cloth in Blender.

2/ Once in Daz, I use the Transfer Utility to rig it.

3/ I weight vertices.

4/ Now, let's say I changed my mind and would like to modify a bit the shape of that object (not its geometry of course). So I export it, modify its shape in Blender, import it back in Daz as a morph with Morph Loader Pro. And I end up with : a slider. The one I wanna get rid of.

Question, is it possible somehow to :

- Import a morph so that it modifies the mesh rather than creates a slider, the way GoZ forces Daz to do it somehow.

- or, once the morph slider is created, is it possible to set it at 100%, then "apply" that morph so that modifications become integrant part of the base object, getting rid of the slider as it's now "applied" definitely ?

If GoZ can import back in Daz modifications, so that they modify definitely the mesh rather than create a slider, then it sounds reasonable to think the same can be done manually, doesn't it ?

Please advise. Thanks.

Post edited by hansolocambo on

Comments

• Edit>Figure>Geometry>Update Base Geometry is the same as the option from ZBrish, as far as I know.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

Yes its Update Base Geometry. To avoid issues I usually export an obj to work on from DS so that I get the correct face groups as well.

"Update Vertex Positions" is the easiest method. If you're also changing the UVMap then use "Update Full Geometry" - that's when you also want the correct faces in your obj, I have lost the faces a couple of times if its not grouped already.

Immediately save and reload after doing this, don't keep on working, its easy to crash and lose everything. If I update the full geometry I will save with a new item name so that it forces DS to create a new data folder as well.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

a-m-a-zing. GoZ was obviously calling a function within Daz but, as still a lot of things, I didn't know which one it was.

That's definitely it. So very ! useful. This will definitely help me avoid ZBrush for everything related to Daz, as Blender is way more adapted to that.

Thanks Richard Haseltine   (*´∀’)b

and Mada ! thanks for the precisions :) 

- Update Base Geometry > Vertex position : is to apply morphs to the existing wireframe so that the base shape is modified even when the mesh has already been rigged and weighted. Exactly what I needed.

- But Update Base Geometry > Update Full Geometry also updates UVs, which could definitely be useful, but also applies eventual modifications to the actual geometry ? Wow, that sounds powerful ! Definitely going to test that right away ! I'm working on 5 toes socks for Genesis 8. And I was thinking that those socks could have used some ears. I was thinking about geografting them, but now I'm definitely going to test that instead/also !

Thanks also a LOT for the extra tip about saving the asset before the scene crashes.

I miss a content creation dedicated thread in here. Lost in the tsunami of users questions, it's hard to find specific "real" technical questions when one uses Daz only to create assets from scratch.

ヾ(*´ー`*)ノ゛ thank you♪

edited October 2022

I'm gonna try to add ears to those already rigged/weighted socks using Update Full Geometry to see how that goes in terms of geometry and UVs updating. This lil' Daz menu I didn't know about opens quiet a lot of possibilities... especially when one changes his mind a bit too late.

They'll be more fun with some morphable ears + extra bones (small round, long pointy, etc.), to go with other sets of cute animal textures I did. Great tip, thanks again !

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

You still need the same number of faces/vertices for it to work with Update Full Geometry - but its not too hard to use the transfer utility to take the rig from the first one to the modified mesh, especially if the faces are very similar

edited October 2022

Oh all right. I got all excited ;) It updates the geometry (same topology) and also the UVs. I misunderstood and thought it'd be a bit more than that.

Sure, I'll import the new version and use Transfer Utility to transfer rig and weights from the first socks to the modified ones an adjust what's needed.

Thanks Mada ;)