dedicated Vram leak?

after running 1-2 renders (iray) i noticed a significant increase in usage of dedicated vram.  approx 2-3 GB

and even after closing daz studio it won t go away unless i manually shoot down daz in the task manager

if i just open daz studio, load a scene and close it again, there s no issue and no residual task but after rendering it happens again and again

this get s quite anoying considering reloading scenes can take up to 3-4 minutes

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

It's been happening for a lot of time. And I fear it's more an Iray issue, meaning it's NVidia devs that need to work on that. It's not so much a Daz issue (just a guess).

I work with Iray ON in the viewport. After some time, everything gets slow. Rendering an image can take minutes for 1 single Sample, when if everything is fine it runs dozens of samples per minute. VRAM can only be cleared with a restart of the computer. My advice is : work on your scene. And always restart before rendering. I ran many tests and the gain in terms of efficiency is insane.

It was very obvious after 2, 3 hours max working with my RTX 2070S 8GB. It's way less obvious now that I have an RTX 3090 with 24GB. But it still happens. And I'm still used to restart before rendering as I render at 4000x2250, and a little slow down per ray sample means a lot more time for 2000+ samples. and a lot of electric power loss for nothing.

Some Iray operation(s) seem to end up looping indefinitely, filling the VRAM, using power for no reason. Restart is the only way to clear that mess.

Yep. It's bad, and it's been there for a while.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

There has been some VRAM usage after Iray renders at least since DS 4.15 (which I'm still using), but it has not prevented me from rendering countless of images without the need  to restart DS in between.

Have used 8GB 2070 Super and 3060 12GB with this setup.

• All I know is that if I work with Vray ON in the viewport for too long, when the time comes to render, it'll compute samples veeeeery slowly. If I restart, then the render goes super fast.

Iray does not clean VRAM properly. I could work with 3DS Max and VRay for weeks without ever restarting the computer. I certainly can't do that in Daz + Iray.

Don't know where the memory leak comes from. But it's definitely there.

• well i dont have performance issues with rendering speed

i just tend to run out of dedicated vram for larger scenes needing arround 15-18gb

running with a A5000, hopefully soon upgradeing to the A6000ada then i don t have to care about it ;)

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

hansolocambo said:

All I know is that if I work with Vray ON in the viewport for too long, when the time comes to render, it'll compute samples veeeeery slowly. If I restart, then the render goes super fast.

Iray does not clean VRAM properly. I could work with 3DS Max and VRay for weeks without ever restarting the computer. I certainly can't do that in Daz + Iray.

Don't know where the memory leak comes from. But it's definitely there.

What happens, if you use just texture shaded preview?

I haven't bothered with Iray preview as 1) it's too slow for my taste, 2) I can get a real render (test) in 1-2 minutes that tells me what I want to know and 3) I have always been suspicious about using Iray in preview, when also using it for the final render.

Using 3060 12GB, 64GB's of RAM and i7-5820K on W7 Ultimate.