DAZ3D Move installed items from default folder

Unfortunately, the items I bought for DAZ3D are slowly exceeding the capacity of my hard drive. I would therefore like to move them to a larger hard drive.

Is that possible and does DAZ3D also recognize all items afterwards? Is there a guide to moving it? I don't want to have a huge mess afterwards.

If this topic has already been discussed, I apologize. Unfortunately, my search did not bring satisfactory results.

Many Thanks

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,771

This is not a problem to do. Basically Daz does not care about the absolute path to where the assets are - they just need to be in the same relative folder inside a known base directory.

Therefore, you can move your asset library from one drive to another and then you update the "Base Directory" in both Daz and DIM (assuming you use that exclusively for installing content). For Daz you can go to Preferences -> Content -> Content Directory Manager and update/replace the old base directory with the new one. This is likely to be atleast under "Daz Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats".

In DIM (Daz Install Manager) click the Cog icon -> Advanced Settings -> Installation. In that window you will see your old path listed in the bottom section and so just update/replace that with the new.

If you use Connect or Daz Central then there may be other parts I won't know about.

• fred.lfred.l Posts: 2

Thank you for the detailed information. I will start the action in the next few days and move around 575 GB and then adjust the paths. About the action and the result I will briefly report my experiences from 2 computers. :) Thanks again.

• SofaCitizen said:

This is not a problem to do. Basically Daz does not care about the absolute path to where the assets are - they just need to be in the same relative folder inside a known base directory.

Daz Studio does not care..., Daz Install Manager/Daz Central do care.

Therefore, you can move your asset library from one drive to another and then you update the "Base Directory" in both Daz and DIM (assuming you use that exclusively for installing content). For Daz you can go to Preferences -> Content -> Content Directory Manager and update/replace the old base directory with the new one. This is likely to be atleast under "Daz Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats".

In DIM (Daz Install Manager) click the Cog icon -> Advanced Settings -> Installation. In that window you will see your old path listed in the bottom section and so just update/replace that with the new.

This will fail to remove old files on uninstall, or if an update changes file/folder names. If the zips were retained Install Manager does have an option to reinstall using current path which will avoid these issues.

If you use Connect or Daz Central then there may be other parts I won't know about.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,771

Richard Haseltine said:

Daz Studio does not care..., Daz Install Manager/Daz Central do care.

Ahh, yes, I forgot about that as it was a while since I did it :(

I had to batch-update the UserInstallPath in the manifest files to point to the new location.