Unreals RGB Mask textures

hey gang... could someone explain to me how i could generate my own rgb mask texture thats ue5 uses? you see them in the quixel materials, not the color, not the normal... the "other" one, that is one file/texture with 3 separate ?!?layers?!? for roughness, ao and height...

im trying to make an automaterial for landscapes using bryce generated terrains and want to make my own masks to use for the set up...

no clue what they are called or how to make them, i just know i need them... figured id ask here.

Comments

• catmastercatmaster Posts: 226
    edited October 2022

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/fdzkxd/how_to_store_height_roughness_and_ao_in_a_single/
    There are three methods mentioned from the above post to combine height, roughness and AO into single texture:
    1. Any graphics editor that lets you manipulate color channels - just copy textures into image while having only one color channel enabled for each one
    2. In UE5 - make a material with AO, Roughness and Height all packed into one float / Constant1Vector, assign it to BaseColor and use Bake Materials
    3. In Substance Designer - import all three into new substance, combine with RGBA merge, save
    Always put your Roughness into G, it's the least compressed channel, minimal artefacts after the packing

Unreal Engine 5 & Photoshop - Packing PBR texture maps to RGB channels for Unreal Engine 5:

Post edited by catmaster on
  • Many thanks =)